Bottom > The Young Ones (feat Madness and other 80s music videos)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dave Dobbyn was another Kiwi that made it big over the ditch with this song, went to no,1 here as well as NZ, great song.

Dave Dobbyn had a heap of other hits in NZ, he was the Kiwi John Farnham but that was the only song of his that got traction in Australia.

This took NZ by storm - instant No 1. Done by locals just down the road, the Patea freezing works had closed and the town was full of unemployed. The local marae decided to involve as many people as possible making a song. Watch for cameos from the quintessential Kiwi milk tankers and stock trucks.

Dave Dobbyn had a heap of other hits in NZ, he was the Kiwi John Farnham but that was the only song of his that got traction in Australia.

Slice of Heaven was the track written for the movie Footrot Flats - A Dog's Tale. Dave Dobbyn collaborated with Herbs (another seriously successful local group). His earlier hits were with his own band DD Smash.

Speaking of the Rainbow Warrior, and her untimely demise, this song was apparently written in her honour by hair band White Lion. Didn't do much commercially, but I always liked it. Retains a place on my playlist to this day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robin Williams deserves his own thread so I've added him to the thread title.

This is a great tribute from Dave Letterman.

It's interesting that often with celebrities that have taken their own life that you never hear about how they took their life. I don't remember reading how Robin did it at the time, but it's out there and available information. The disease he was said to be suffering from makes some kind of sense, in a ****ed up way. The man was loved the world over, nothing but a mental disease can explain that IMO.

You can't beat this 80s German classic.

I was at Oktoberfest about 20 years ago with a Kiwi mate of mine sitting at a table with some Germans in one of the old school German tents.

There was a German band there that were playing some old German tunes along with some old rock and roll classics like Chuck Berry and The Beatles.

After several steins I went over to one of the guys in the band and asked him if they could play 99 Luftballons as it was my favourite German song.

I never thought they would play it but a few songs later they did and the whole tent went off, everyone was dancing on the tables, it was amazing.

It has to be the German version too, the English version sucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back