Universal Love Bound For Glory - Grand Final Banter Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Very, very nice there Selkan. Conan was one of my heroes when I played. I was skinny backflanker/tagger with crappy skills - nothing like him whatsoever - but he came from the same part of the world as me and was a champion, so loved him.

These days...Stewie Dew is my hero, probably always will be now. He had a fantastic match in 08, but that 10-minute burst is probably my favourite footy memory.

Year there were many to choose from. So many players and moments from the 80s but that 12 minute period in the 3rd when we rag dolled the Cats was great. I used to love Stewie when he was with Port many moons ago so I spent the whole 2008 defending our decision to draft him to all of my mates here in SA. Then he WENT BANG in the third and gave me a lifetime of "I told you so's" in the bank.

I was tossing up between Conan and the Freak. Someone has to rock the FREAK.

The longest and most anxiety riddled week of the year! So many thoughts and emotions being experienced this week. Personally I cannot wait to get to Melbourne on Friday as I feel once I'm there things might settle for me. Work is not helping me get through this either.

2008 wasn't this hard as we were not given a show. The overriding (and horribly pessimistic) concern is what happens if we did lose..?

How's everyone else going to manage getting through this week?

** Mods please delete if a similar thread has been started (couldn't find one).

2008 was harder, i was going to the game and getting married the week after (wife concerned about draw, said it would never happen, it did two years later).

This year stuck in Brisbane and don't know any other Hawthorn supportors to watch game with. After Saturday night I now realise I can not watch the game with anyone except hawthorn supportors who understand my stress levels and refrain from comments such as 'its just a game'.

jc

2008 was harder, i was going to the game and getting married the week after (wife concerned about draw, said it would never happen, it did two years later).

This year stuck in Brisbane and don't know any other Hawthorn supportors to watch game with. After Saturday night I now realise I can not watch the game with anyone except hawthorn supportors who understand my stress levels and refrain from comments such as 'its just a game'.

jc
I cannot explain this to my wife when she says this... don't expect her to fully understand though

jc

Thats like putting a red rag in front of a bull for me when people make comments like that! :mad:

The longest and most anxiety riddled week of the year! So many thoughts and emotions being experienced this week. Personally I cannot wait to get to Melbourne on Friday as I feel once I'm there things might settle for me. Work is not helping me get through this either.

2008 wasn't this hard as we were not given a show. The overriding (and horribly pessimistic) concern is what happens if we did lose..?

How's everyone else going to manage getting through this week?

** Mods please delete if a similar thread has been started (couldn't find one).

Just going to merge into the Grand Final Week banter thread.

Here's a crime against humanity. From last night's Brownlow.

600-Brownlows32-600x400.jpg

Personally I found last week more stressful...... I would have really been devastated to be knocked out of the prelim again this year.
I was very ordinary on Saturday for the same reason. After the game Sat night was just a feeling relief, Sunday was a bit more relaxed knowing that the shackles were off slightly knowing we were through to the big one... but late y'day and today the nerves are starting to build knowing we are one win away from the ultimate result! This when it gets tough. Imagine how the players must feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a crime against humanity. From last night's Brownlow.

600-Brownlows32-600x400.jpg
Quoted again for laughs

Seriously, I saw last night she has her own tv show. Could this be exponentially worse than Lara Bingles?

Glad we're playing the Swans this week. They're a team that I don't really care too much about either way which means my hatred of the opposition isn't adding to the anxiety of the week.

That said, it'd be f***ing grand to knock them off for the exact same reason. They're a likeable side so almost everyone will be going for them. They're also the 2nd best team of the year and deserve to be there so if we want to be the best we have to beat the best. It was a shame Kennedy didn't win the brownlow last night, it would have been a nice distraction.

The embalmer's done a good job hasn't he?

It is a scene from "Weekend at Geoffrey's" isn't it?

Same guy who does all the despots around the world. A real artist.

Does anyone have a photo of the 1983 Grand Final banner?

If my memory serves me correct, it's the one with Yabby in a Kitchener "Your country needs you" pose, or something like it.

Given his sad passing, it's one I'd like to see again.

grizzlym - love the avatar. In true superstitous fashion, I won't change mine until after the GF.

Just on superstition, as this is the Chinese Year of the Dragon, as was 1976 & 1988, I feel mystically confident.

And just coincidentally the club joined in 1926 another Dragon year if I am not mistaken.

My Dad says exactly the same thing. I saw him play but have no clear memories. Dad says the pairing of Crimmo and Lethal could have been the best ever if it wasn't for the tragedy. A great Hawthorn man was Crimmo.
Remember this, Crimmins was FIRST rover Mathews was second. Says something about Crimmo to have Mathews as second fiddle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back