Universal Love Bound For Glory - Grand Final Banter Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I work in retail so the shop is getting decked out in the GF colours, though funnily enough, only brown and gold is throughout my department. LOL

Who could forget, especially if you were there... we won. At Arctic Park. Paul Dear was best on ground. But Angry Anderson stole the freakin' show. It's a moment indelibly bound into our cultural DNA.... Angry and the Batmobile. Keep an eye on those Kenyan athletes, and the driver of the car rocking on tapping his hand on the car door.

And the song he sung was Bound For Glory. How apt.

Here we go, as I a type it's a week to the Grand Final. And I'm sure it's pretty much going to be the most important thing on every Hawthorn supporters' mind this week. Every waking moment, pretty much, as we're bound for glory.

This thread is for any general banter re the Grand Final, for you to check in and post anything. It might be what you had for breakfast, hunting for tickets, getting them lucky jocks drycleaned, anything. Well, within Big Footy rules. And opposition supporters please note: we have zero tolerance to any sort of trolling or agitating the natives.

Go Hawks!

Good seeing Jim Stynes back in his prime, alive and well. Such a shame.

Can anyone tell me if they are replaying any Hawks grand finals on TV this week and when?

Good seeing Jim Stynes back in his prime, alive and well. Such a shame.

Can anyone tell me if they are replaying any Hawks grand finals on TV this week and when?

Just read in another thread that FoxFooty are showing 2008 at midnight tomorrow night. Beyond that...no idea!

The weather forecast keeps getting worse (from bom.gov.au):

"Partly cloudy. Scattered showers with possible hail and thunder. Snow likely about the nearly hills. Winds northwesterly 30 to 45 km/h turning westerly in the morning."

Keep away from the nearly hills folks...

Well as it's school holidays, I took my youngest to do the grocery shopping today. I've been wearing Hawks stuff all week, but today for my youngest, I gave her my Hawks cap that I bought the week of the GF in 1978 from Mick Simmonds sports store in Hurstville (Sydney). Long before the days of official AFL stuff, the logo isn't genuine & it's looking pretty faded but she loved it & wore it with pride throughout our shopping trek.

This is what makes this Grand Final that bit more special than some others. I now have a Hawks fan of my own flesh & blood to share this experience. She was too young to sit through 2008, though in her defence, she watched most of the first half. She's as excited as I am & full of that wonderful enthusiasm that a child has. That's when you realise how lucky & fortunate you are to support Hawthorn. On Saturday she will have seen 2 Grand Finals in her own lifetime already, which is two more than any Footscray supporter who was born in the same year as me.

Moginie - I know exactly how you feel. My eldest daughter is 6 and super excited we're in the GF. Has made my night a little tricky. I've managed to get my hands on 1 ticket. She seriously doesn't want me to go.

Thankfully the wife is a lot more supportive so I'm on my way in the morning. Very excited but feeling bad for my little girl.

GO HAWKS!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moginie - I know exactly how you feel. My eldest daughter is 6 and super excited we're in the GF. Has made my night a little tricky. I've managed to get my hands on 1 ticket. She seriously doesn't want me to go.

Thankfully the wife is a lot more supportive so I'm on my way in the morning. Very excited but feeling bad for my little girl.

GO HAWKS!!
Great to know that you're going WH. Safe trip there & back.

I'm sick of people denegrating our colours. My brother came for dinner on Sunday wearing his "blood stained angels" scarf and boasting he was happy not to have to wear sh*t and p*ss colours. He shut up pretty quickly when I said at least we don't wear old sanitary napkins around our necks.

Spewing I can't go but only just over a day now. This time tomorrow I will be a wreck I think

Well as it's school holidays, I took my youngest to do the grocery shopping today. I've been wearing Hawks stuff all week, but today for my youngest, I gave her my Hawks cap that I bought the week of the GF in 1978 from Mick Simmonds sports store in Hurstville (Sydney). Long before the days of official AFL stuff, the logo isn't genuine & it's looking pretty faded but she loved it & wore it with pride throughout our shopping trek.

This is what makes this Grand Final that bit more special than some others. I now have a Hawks fan of my own flesh & blood to share this experience. She was too young to sit through 2008, though in her defence, she watched most of the first half. She's as excited as I am & full of that wonderful enthusiasm that a child has. That's when you realise how lucky & fortunate you are to support Hawthorn. On Saturday she will have seen 2 Grand Finals in her own lifetime already, which is two more than any Footscray supporter who was born in the same year as me.

Moginie...you brought back memories for me!

I grew up in the area, went to Hurstville Boys HS and bought my first cricket bat at Mick Simmonds (hang on, it might've been Jim Mitchells).

Cheers!

Just got back from a sodden Grand Final Parade. Magnificent.

Buddy was in the last Hawthorn car with Gibbo and you could hear this cheer get louder and louder as he came up the street.

There as a great rumble of Breeeuuuuuussssstttt too.

Omith looked completely in awe of what was going on.

Nice to see Clinton's brother in the car too. And Sammy's kids got a ride too.

Calling you out Max - I was standing next to the guy wearing the big yellow fist shouting out 'gibbo's fist of fury. Thanks for reciprocating.

And lastly, great to see Cameron Ling in the motorcade. He was smiling and got a great cheer of 'Lingy' from everyone.

it's building people. I'm officially hysterical about now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back