Society/Culture Bourke st incident ( again )

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder what the stats are for how many people in the west think it’s okay to drop bombs in the Middle East. I’d say it’s quite high

Allied air power used white phosphorous on a Syrian position shortly before isis attacked last week.

We claimed it was a mistake as we have all the other times we've mistakenly dropped bombs on defenses prior to an isis attack near an oil field.

So far allied forces have used white phosphorous 4 times. America is not a signatory of the weapons convention this terror weapon is banned from use in civilian areas. Reports from this latest attack say many civilian casualties

That's quite defeatist. A leader should strive to not let it happen again. Like the "towards zero" road toll campaign. It may not be entirely realistic, but it should be the aim. Khan's comment sounded like acceptance.

I'm not saying we shouldn't combat it or counter it. Not at all. I do think we need to accept that there are fundie c*nts out there who ARE willing and able to carry out attacks like this. Only when we acknowledge their existence (remember, acknowledgement does not equal support) can we begin to work against them.

I'm no fan of religion Knobby, but this looks a clear case of mental illness.Will be interesting to see his mental health history and what could have been done.But from the sounds of it, you probably vote for a party that likes to cut health care.You are way too quick to jump on the 'it was ISIS' bandwagon. You seem to enjoy doing this.
"Man with no experience working with mental health says 'This looks like a clear case of mental illness', more to come"

Scratch that ( for now ) , nothing else i've seen on twitter says the same
ABC news right now are reporting he is dead.

Can't they shoot him in the leg which is force but not lethal?
All law enforcement and military are trained to shoot at the 'centre of seeing mass' (in this case - the chest). This is because: unlike video games, shooting isn't easy, and legs tend to be skinny and move a lot; shooting someone in the leg is not less-than-lethal, as bullets like to do all sorts of funky things inside flesh like sever arteries and fragment around; a glancing blow to the leg is absolutely no guarantee to stop someone, especially if they are on drugs, and; a pistol is for killing.

Repeat after me, and then tell all your friends far and wide - shooting at the leg is not a thing. It has never been a thing. It will never be a thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he'd be a pillar of his own community, probably a hero
Everyone jumped early at the California bar shooting too. Best to wait for confirmation of the current allegations and then move on to motive before we set off another 100 page brawl in the islam is bad thread.

All law enforcement and military are trained to shoot at the 'centre of seeing mass' (in this case - the chest). This is because: unlike video games, shooting isn't easy, and legs tend to be skinny and move a lot; shooting someone in the leg is not less-than-lethal, as bullets like to do all sorts of funky things inside flesh like sever arteries and fragment around; a glancing blow to the leg is absolutely no guarantee to stop someone, especially if they are on drugs, and; a pistol is for killing.

Repeat after me, and then tell all your friends far and wide - shooting at the leg is not a thing. It has never been a thing. It will never be a thing.

Most people in Australia have never touched a gun and think it is like Call of Duty or Red Dead Redemption.

That was some bad policing. That cop is very lucky to not be seriously injured or dead.
Why?

He was using the correct techniques they are trained with to disarm men with knifes.

Nobody got hurt from the moment they arrived and they did all they could not to use lethal force.

So many keyboard warriors

Legally, if the perp is alive there's only so much they can release officially and nothing at all without confirmation up the wazoo. Unless you want a mistrial.
Mistrial and him being released for public justice would be infinitely better than him kept alive in prison until he dies.

Should of been dealt with prior to this. Hopefully heads will roll at the asio office.
IIRC no one from asio lost their job over monis

In fact the ONLY person i can recall losing their job over it was John Robertson the THEN leader of nsw labor.
Robertson wrote monis a letter of recommendation regarding another legal matter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back