Society/Culture - Bourke st incident ( again ) | Page 12 | BigFooty

Society/Culture Bourke st incident ( again )

Discussion in 'Society, Religion and Politics' started by NSWCROW, Nov 9, 2018 at 4:53 PM.

1. Snake_Baker

Snake_Baker Hall of Famer

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Pfffft, as if!

He's not exaggerating. The response was below amateurish, as was the perp with the knife.

If he didn't want to shoot, then the moment one of those downwards lunges bottomed out he should have come forward on the armed hand and held it down whilst his partner moved in. The knife would have been effectively immobilized. The cops panicked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Geelong_Sicko

Geelong_Sicko Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Did those police have tasers?

3. smokingjacket

smokingjacket Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool
    Fair, but policing problem meth and alcohol areas inevitably comes with violence directed at police, sometimes with knives, bottles and other makeshift weapons. You make a reasonable point that it may have been poor situation technique but I think it's a very good thing that VICpol are erring on the side of restraint when confronted with lower grade threat weapons, the alternative is a lot more shootings.

BlueBerryPrince and nicky like this.
  4. Snake_Baker

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Pfffft, as if!
    A half decent combatant could have neutralized the knife without using the gun.

5. FireKraquora

FireKraquora Premiership Player

Collingwood
    I fully agree, but there is a vocal group in the community who do not. I put part of the blame on society scrutinising every act of police use of force, forever claiming that they are too brutal.

We are basing our opinions on video phone footage from the sidelines, not vision from the copper's perspective, who may have been surrounded by innocent bystanders.

6. ShanDog

ShanDog Moderator

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Edmonton Oilers
    It would be good to see if there was any earlier footage of the incident to determine just how much time the police had before the attack shown. I am going to assume it was at least long enough to know the guy was armed with a knife.

So from that assumption, as soon as the knife is identified, it's time to pull out the pistols and control the situation. The presence of bystanders is even more reason to do so, unless you want the attacker to be left with the option of grabbing a would-be hero or scared and frozen person as a hostage (or just attacking them too).

You issue commands. If old mate moves within a distance that makes him a threat to you or another person, you fire.

That's it. There's no more effective way to deal with it than that.

And if I hear the word 'taser' I'll vomit.

7. maryjames

maryjames Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Send all his family back home. Apparently all his family is known to ASIO.

8. ShanDog

ShanDog Moderator

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Edmonton Oilers
    **** them. They aren't risking their lives. People can cry 'excessive force' as much as they want. Doesn't make it true.

9. William Wonka

William Wonka Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Unless they miss that is...

Too quick.

maryjames likes this.
  10. Thrawn

Thrawn Hall of Famer

Carlton
    That's expected of them though. There'll always be risks when protecting people from deranged maniacs.

11. _Swoon

_Swoon Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Dallas Cowboys
    On the flip side, police are also human beings who presumably also have loved ones and when police officers err on the side of restraint, they are risking their own lives in the process. You can still be stabbed to death with a "lower grade weapon". Really don't think it's reasonable to expect police to put their own lives on the line like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Smartest Brain

Smartest Brain Club Legend

GWS
    "Janitor says planes that collided with twin towers was caused by faulty jet engines not terrorists, more news on this development at 6"

Opts and King Elvis like this.
  13. Geelong_Sicko

Geelong
    May all police should have S.A.S-level training in hand-to-hand and disarming tactics. It might make for less incidents like this one and further keep our police forces safe.

14. its free real estate

its free real estate Club Legend

Fremantle
    I can’t believe this is being called a lone wolf attack. His brother and sister in law have been charged separately on terror offences.

15. Opts

Opts Suspended

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Brisbane Lions
    The old VicPol foot patrol office used to be located right there. I worked there for a couple of years.

Ron The Bear likes this.
  16. ShanDog

ShanDog Moderator

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Edmonton Oilers
    No idea. I think we pretty much have it right. Not a massive fan of some police forces carrying long-arms around in cars though. Seems unnecessary and contributing to the equivalent concept of 'militarisation' for a police force. 'Policitisation'? lol

red+black likes this.
  17. Geelong_Sicko

Geelong
    If they're all fundies, I might well agree with you.

18. Tayl0r

Tayl0r Moderator

Fremantle
    What if they've been told not to inflame tensions by shooting people?

19. Tassie27

Tassie27 Club Legend

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Richmond
    Monash College is situated right there and is an international bridging establishment for entry into university. I work at Monash College but in Clayton. We received an email this afternoon saying that all students and teachers were accounted for and that they were able to evacuate through the back to Little Bourke street.

deathevocation likes this.
  20. Chism

Chism Moderator

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Cowboys, Pacers , HotSpurs ,Dodgers
    Police also stating the man was known to Police due to family terrorism links and was on the ASIO watch list.

Not good. :(

21. ShanDog

ShanDog Moderator

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Edmonton Oilers
    I agree, really. Given a choice between being too trigger-happy and too slow on the draw, I'd have to go with the latter. You can't take back a bullet once it's been fired.

22. Snake_Baker

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Pfffft, as if!

FFS, this didn't require anything special.

If cops aren't taught basic hand to hand defence techniques (AND THEY ARE) then we may as well not have cops.

23. tandino

tandino Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    I don't know guys, probably too early to play Monday morning quarterback on this one.

You have a maniac, a trolley guy, chair guy, someone carrying a traffic cone weight and some moron just strolling past in the immediate vicinity, plus 50+ bystanders just down the road.

End result is situation brought to a permanent conclusion, with no other casualties.

C+ is still a pass mark.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 8:59 PM
  24. its free real estate

its free real estate Club Legend

Fremantle
    They are.

25. Smartest Brain

Smartest Brain Club Legend

GWS
    They are already pretty well trained in killing. The problem in this case and many cases is the amount of people around with cameras that make every move these cops do criticized to the 100th level with millisecond accuracy.

Yes the cops should have killed this guy quicker, but given how soft society is these days I can understand why they let the situation develop like they did and endangered their and others lives in attempts to not kill him.

Opts likes this.