Society/Culture Bourke st incident ( again )

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no idea how to respond to that. You can ask 'what if' about everything. I am just calling it how I see it and from the knowledge I have.

As if cops are ever told something like that.:rolleyes:

FFS, this didn't require anything special.

If cops aren't taught basic hand to hand defence techniques (AND THEY ARE) then we may as well not have cops.
I did some very basic knife training many years ago (and granted, it was rather informal and training changes over time), and the first rule about self-defence against a knife attacker is (I quote) "Run like the ******* wind". Trying to disarm someone is as last-resort as it gets.

I agree, really. Given a choice between being too trigger-happy and too slow on the draw, I'd have to go with the latter. You can't take back a bullet once it's been fired.

Which makes sense when it comes to someone unarmed being emotional and aggressive. As soon as you see someone with a weapon attempting to kill people I think it changes.

Of course the problem is when you have dumb or scared people thinking they see weapons that don't exist and then shooting people. I think that is more a personnel problem than education problem but it happens often in the US and the police often get off for it. It is a problem that can't be fully solved in a society like we have these days. The chain of accountability doesn't really exist except in theory.

Confirmed dead by Police gunshot right now in the press conference 30mins after he arrived in hospital.

Also confirmed he was known to Police and ASIO for terrorist links and it is now being treated as a terrorism event.

Press conference live now on the ABC.

What they actually said was that he has relatives know to federal and state police and counter terrorism officers now investigating as a result.

They said he was from Somalia and has been here since the nineties.

It will be interesting to find out what pushed him over the edge.

He set fire to his car with barbecue gas bottles in it and three men came over and stabbed all three. Police arrived one minute later and he approached them and punched one while he sat in his car. He pulled a knife as the cops got out and smart phone footage explains the rest. The police were not aware of the stabbings as they were in the scene seconds after and within a minute of the fire.

As if cops are ever told something like that.:rolleyes:
I was going to say something along those lines, but you really never know. I mean, maybe they brass are pushing for better optics and PR by disincentives information use of firearms. I doubt they would ever be referring to a situation like this, but stranger things have happened.

I did some very basic knife training many years ago (and granted, it was rather informal and training changes over time), and the first rule about self-defence against a knife attacker is (I quote) "Run like the ******* wind". Trying to disarm someone is as last-resort as it gets.

Of course, but what if you were cornered with that guy? You take the hand the moment it comes down and neutralise it..

numerous examples, but from today's incident, allowing an armed offender to get within striking distance and not shooting him

thus being ineffectual in protecting themselves and the public

American cops - shoot first, ask questions later
Australian cops - let's talk it out, let a few people get injured, then clean up the mess, investigation suggests police should have been more proactive
The most obvious example is Gargasoulis. Had they used more force prior to him reaching Bourke St, many lives would have been saved. IMO, the moment someone decides to evade Police they loose the right to live. Police should be allowed to shoot offenders, if safe to do so, the moment this happens. In the Gargasoulis situation they had numerous opportunities to use more force but chose not to for fear of the legal repercussions.

I was going to say something along those lines, but you really never know. I mean, maybe they brass are pushing for better optics and PR by disincentives information use of firearms. I doubt they would ever be referring to a situation like this, but stranger things have happened.

I doubt the day has ever, or will ever come, when they are told to put themselves in a dangerous situation because the ratings are bad.

They are trained to kill if they believe they, or an innocent member of the public, are in a life threatening position, and they are trained as to what a life threatening position constitutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t believe this is being called a lone wolf attack. His brother and sister in law have been charged separately on terror offences.

It seems there's being " known to ASIO " and " KNOWN to ASIO "

The most obvious example is Gargasoulis. Had they used more force prior to him reaching Bourke St, many lives would have been saved. IMO, the moment someone decides to evade Police they loose the right to live. Police should be allowed to shoot offenders, if safe to do so, the moment this happens. In the Gargasoulis situation they had numerous opportunities to use more force but chose not to for fear of the legal repercussions.

Completely difference circumstance.

The Israelis have Krav Maga

This video from the U.K shows a similar incident, with a bloke weilding a machete disarmed

Aussie cops have 'public order sheilds', don't they?

Someone posted the video of 20 london police being totally embarrassed by one man with a knife. I wonder if that is what the majority of Australia wants for us now too? Shoot him in the leg? wtf the guy just butchered multiple people and is now attacking the cops.

Already got the "Mental illness" brigade in here acting like with the right dosage of Xanax this guy wouldn't have done anything. Our society may be completely gone in a couple decades with these people having any say at all.

You don't know what your talking about. Medications are linked to incidents like this for which successful law suits have been launched against drug manufacturers.

The guy in America yesterday who killed eleven people was on meds Experts in these crimes are pointing to the history of these events committed by people on these drugs.

You have no idea

is it possible that trolley-man and chair-man acted because they believed that the police were taking too long?

You don't know what your talking about. Medications are linked to incidents like this for which successful law suits have been launched against drug manufacturers.

The guy in America yesterday who killed eleven people. Experts in these crimes are pointing to the history of these events committed by people on these drugs.

You have no idea

I have no idea yet literally mention the drug they give people for anxiety and depression in Australia today? lol. Anyone who thinks MENTAL ILLNESS can be cured by drugs literally thinks there is a right "chemical concotion" that can turn a terrorist into Apu. There are already people in here claiming the guy is "mentally ill" and not doing it for political reasons because that is what they want to believe.

People would rather believe there are insane people out there that randomly kill people rather than understand that there is an actual ideology that promotes and rewards it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back