Society/Culture Bourke st incident ( again )

Smartest Brain

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
You can quite easily miss if someone lunges at you with a knife, or if someone accidentally hits you with a shopping trolley. I know I want a cop to be 110% sure that he's hitting his target before he even thinks about pulling his gun on Bourke St.
Police are trained in the movement that the cop who fired the shot did. They are trained to take the gun from the side and shoot at the perp until they stop. Usually 3-6 shots. Accuracy and time taken to get to firing position are all trained.

In this case they dance around like they are characters in Jesus Christ Superstar for 15 seconds before one cops finally fires a single shot in that exact movement they are trained in.

American marine who toured Afghanistan killed eleven people yesterday. Most mass murders in America is done by white Christian males

And here you are singling out a religon that's not Christian.
.You need to take of your Jesus goggles
Like like like.

The real “terrorists” are the ones dropping bombs on civilians in the Middle East every single day, but the media doesn’t report on that cause it doesn’t fit their agenda

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You can quite easily miss if someone lunges at you with a knife, or if someone accidentally hits you with a shopping trolley. I know I want a cop to be 110% sure that he's hitting his target before he even thinks about pulling his gun on Bourke St.

Please.

If they miss from there they're not suitable to be cops.

Smartest Brain

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Now those who have worked with people in psychotic episode they generally think one of three things.

Who cares if it is a psychotic episode? Why does the reason matter why this nutjob was stabbing people? You kill or attempt to kill people you deserve to be killed, and if you believe otherwise you should not be in charge of anyone's security.

The lefties on reddit are worried this attack will swing the Vic election to the libs. o_O

Were you expecting them NOT to think so ?
Or do you mean it's insensitive due to the timeframe ?

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Police made a call upon arriving on the scene based on information available to them and behavior of offender. It would appear they are treating him as someone in a pychotic episode and not as "terrorisim".

For those police to try so hard to disarm him points to them having sympathy for him and if you look closely he's not with it. His body language points to a mental health episode.

Now those who have worked with people in psychotic episode they generally think one of three things. A religious delusion asio are out to get them or the mafia. Many white Christians have gone off with knifes thinking thier attacking Satan.

I could be wrong but I base my view on more than just skin color and ignorance as many here are

The police have said they believe it wasnt terrorist related and thier opinion would be driven by those two officers who will and should receive commendations for what they did

Trolley idiot man shouldnt. He just made the police have to consider more scenarios while dealing
Spot on ,although disagree on trolley man.I though he provided a good distraction for the cops, the killer had three serious threats to deal with.I'm sure the cops would of told him to piss off if they didn't want him there.Looks like a psychotic episode all over, handled expertly by police.

Except there are polls that show many millions of muslims believe terrorism is ok.

In a 2007 Pew Research poll in response to a question on whether suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilian targets to defend Islam could be justified,in Europe:

• (36 vs 64) 64% of Muslims in France believed it could never be justified, 19% believed it could be justified rarely, 10% sometimes, and 6% thought it could be justified often.
  • (30 vs 70) 70% of Muslims in the UK believed it could never be justified, 9% believed it could be justified rarely, 12% sometimes, and 3% thought it could be justified often.
  • (17 vs 83) 83% of Muslims in Germany believed it could never be justified, 6% believed it could be justified rarely, 6% sometimes, and 1% thought it could be justified often.
  • (31 vs 69) 69% of Muslims in Spain believed it could never be justified, 9% believed it could be justified rarely, 10% sometimes, and 6% thought it could be justified often.
Wonder what the stats are for how many people in the west think it’s okay to drop bombs in the Middle East. I’d say it’s quite high

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Funny that the people who have the same Hollywood movie mentality of “Why didn’t the police commando roll while emptying a round into him, then quip some pithy one liner about bringing a knife to a gun fight before walking into the sunset?” are the same people now desperately trying to jump in and make some broad point about the guy’s race and/or religion.

Simple people looking for simple answers.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Body language?

I guess you can tell when people are lying too?

What are your qualifications to say this with absolute certainty?

Have worked in mental health and have witnessed men in pychotic episodes with knifes disarmed by police at my work.

Have also been trained by police to disarm offenders with knifes. Our tutor was a veteran of the Falklands island war served in northern Ireland in the sas and a world martial arts champion.

This guy had no idea how to use that knife and our training advised us to react as the police did.

I'm not saying it with certain but it's more plausible based on a number of factors than the bullshit from most here

If he was holding the knife differently and not lunging off balance like he was. He would of been shot numerous times.

Smartest Brain

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Report on twitter ( via 2gb ) that the perp has died

Footage from the hospital.
97c65d27ed5ec71e44368648949d30d8.gif

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Did you go to the same church as the perp?
I'm no fan of religion Knobby, but this looks a clear case of mental illness.Will be interesting to see his mental health history and what could have been done.But from the sounds of it, you probably vote for a party that likes to cut health care.You are way too quick to jump on the 'it was ISIS' bandwagon. You seem to enjoy doing this.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
At first I thought the cops might have struggled with the situation.

Then I saw footage and saw a wall of people watching the scene. So clearly they had to be incredibly careful when it came to shooting.

Anyone else watching these videos and wondering what the * is going through some of these people’s heads? You’ve got a bloke casually walking behind the cops and mad men like nothing is going on. Then a handful of others having no problem being right in the middle of it. Then the trolley bloke who slips on his arse and could have easily ended up with a stab wound. Then all the people standing there frozen watching the event. If I was them I would have been running out of there. If it happened to be a multi area attack like in Europe they would have been ****ed.

Okay maybe some didn’t understand the gravity of the situation but still.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Only really matters for those keeping score

End of the day mutts are mutts no matter race , gender , sexual orientation or religious inclination yes ?
It matters in terms of trying to prevent this type of attack happening in the future. For example, if he was a meth head, it would suggest that we need to allocate more resources towards the meth problem.
It IS part and parcel of today's world, like it or not. Acknowledging this fact is NOT condoning it. It's simple recognition. It exists. It's happened. It WILL happen again.
That's quite defeatist. A leader should strive to not let it happen again. Like the "towards zero" road toll campaign. It may not be entirely realistic, but it should be the aim. Khan's comment sounded like acceptance.

Back