Kooley

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
out west
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
arsenal
Still early days but I'm pretty glad the Eagles showed little interest in Bower when the Judd deal was taking place. Although I was gutted to see Josh go I'm getting the feeling we were luckily left with the better player.

At first i was hoping they would take Paul instead of Josh, but since the start of the season Paul has really come on and earnt a place in the side. He still makes little mistakes but in reality that is to be expected of him, IMO he can be a very solid player for us.

Josh was expected to make his Eagles debut in round 1 but IIRC it was a calf complaint that sidelined him. I've heard from some Eagles fans that he's doing well but i'll reserve my judgement until he plays.

Only time will tell.

What you've said was pretty much what I thought come trade time last year. Would have preferred Bower to go because Kennedy was looking like a very good player for one so inexperienced when at Carlton. But let's look at the bigger picture, we managed to get the best player in the competition and held on to the no.1 pick and got one of the best young ruckmen/forward for a long time, "The Kreuz".
Bower's still a talent and he's showing glimpses of what he can become. Fingers crossed for us that he continues imporving.

At first i was hoping they would take Paul instead of Josh, but since the start of the season Paul has really come on and earnt a place in the side. He still makes little mistakes but in reality that is to be expected of him, IMO he can be a very solid player for us.
Second that, I couldn't see much in Bower other than his athleticism. I never thought he'd improve as much as he has!

Now, i'd prefer Bower, but time will tell if Joshy will rise up the goal kicking ladder and become a star:thumbsu:.

I love Bower, but JK is undoubtedly, in my mind, the more valuable player provided he comes on. A CHF is much more difficult to find than a CHB/HBF, however at this point in time, Bower is far ahead of JK. Still early days, but until Kennedy proves that he can hold down CHF at AFL level (which he might be given a chance to do so soon, given Hansen's dismal form), Bower gets the nod.

JK has shown nothing. Gilly will confirm this. PB is impressing more and more with every game. The Startled Emu will be a cult player.

LOL...

The problem is that JK plays a much more difficult position and a much more vital position. Thylacine is funny, he knows that JK was showing small signs of improvement but is very stubborn and won't admit it ;). I think he will go on to be a serviceable, workhorse type CHF.......on the other hand I think Bower is coming along very nicely, despite his job on Cloke I'm still not convinced he will ever hold down a KP post unlike JK. However as a third tall defender, he backs himself, takes blokes on and provides good run which is a great string to a 192cm bow. Like Jamison he is quick enough to play on some smaller forwards as well, so another level of versatility. I hope PB will provide 8-10 good years of good service to the club which would be a great return. SO all in all we get Judd, a versatile rebounding defender who can play small or tall and hopefully we will get an opportunity to address CHF in the next couple of years.:thumbsu:

LOL...

The problem is that JK plays a much more difficult position and a much more vital position. Thylacine is funny, he knows that JK was showing small signs of improvement but is very stubborn and won't admit it ;). I think he will go on to be a serviceable, workhorse type CHF.......on the other hand I think Bower is coming along very nicely, despite his job on Cloke I'm still not convinced he will ever hold down a KP post unlike JK. However as a third tall defender, he backs himself, takes blokes on and provides good run which is a great string to a 192cm bow. Like Jamison he is quick enough to play on some smaller forwards as well, so another level of versatility. I hope PB will provide 8-10 good years of good service to the club which would be a great return. SO all in all we get Judd, a versatile rebounding defender who can play small or tall and hopefully we will get an opportunity to address CHF in the next couple of years.:thumbsu:

Not to mention Kreuzer, who has shown some potential as a CHF.

Not to mention Kreuzer, who has shown some potential as a CHF.

True, but as I said in the buddy page, his best attributes see him competing at the stoppages where he has some clearance nous and plays like an extra midfielder or will at least block for Juddy et. al :thumbsu:

Way too early to tell. Josh hasn't even played a game with the Eagles. I do have a feeling they'll get more out of him than we were able to tho.

They play different positions so it is hard to compare them. JK had a few injuries in his time at Carlton + was thrown in the ruck and not given much time at CHF. I would have liked to have seen him under Ratten this year. Look at PB's performance this year under a coach who instills confidence in him and gives him time on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still early days but I'm pretty glad the Eagles showed little interest in Bower when the Judd deal was taking place. Although I was gutted to see Josh go I'm getting the feeling we were luckily left with the better player.

Bower is a lot better at the moment. A very talented, and creative player. Massive upside. Hope JK does well though. My concern with JK was his lack of speed from a standing start. Once he got going, he was pretty fast, but those first few meters are crucial for KP forwards. He just didn't have the mobility of a Matty Kruezer for example, although admittedly not many do. :)

I think Josh will make a few here eat there lack of football knowledge words. The blokes developing for goodness sake. Highly rated KPP Gumbleton and Hansen have hardly set the world on fire yet. Gumby has played a game and Hansen a couple, sure they are a year behind but they won't play alot this year and if they do they will be developmental games and pick up a few kicks here and there.

Good question.

JK hasn't come on yet but he's still very young. He's got what it takes to become the best key forward in the game, I just hope it's with us. I would only contemplate giving him up if we got the best player in the game in return.

Bower has talent but looks ungainly every time he takes the field. I hope he remains injury free otherwise he'll probably find himself on the scrapheap in a couple of years.

What's the bet this doesn't turn out to be as close as some may think, and the thread is bumped in a decade or so when one is long gone and the other still dominating?

Last edited:
JK has shown nothing. Gilly will confirm this. PB is impressing more and more with every game. The Startled Emu will be a cult player.
ROFL :thumbsu:

Bower for me as well . We need to keep him as we do need to improve our defensive stocks to remain competitive . Best of luck to Josh all the same , hope he kicks all the other teams butts . I wasn't too keen on the idea of losing the startled emu last year either although it would've been great if we could've kept them both .
I don't think we're as desperate for a CHF as much as some people seem to believe .

They play different positions so it is hard to compare them. JK had a few injuries in his time at Carlton + was thrown in the ruck and not given much time at CHF. I would have liked to have seen him under Ratten this year. Look at PB's performance this year under a coach who instills confidence in him and gives him time on the ground.
Spot on.:thumbsu:

If he was going to be a cult player, he should have kept the afro :)

Then he would stand out like other notable cult players for the blues...

Bruce Doull with his headband
Tommy Alvin with the long hair
Mil Hanna... The Cranium
Sticks with his mullet...
Jezza... just for being Jezza :)

just to name a few.

Still... I was also one of those advocating handing over Bower, but I wanted to keep Josh because I thought he had shown a little something of his potential in the few games he had last year.

It will be interesting to see if the weagles do play him for the first time against us.

If he was going to be a cult player, he should have kept the afro :)

Then he would stand out like other notable cult players for the blues...

Bruce Doull with his headband
Tommy Alvin with the long hair
Mil Hanna... The Cranium
Sticks with his mullet...
Jezza... just for being Jezza :)

just to name a few.

Still... I was also one of those advocating handing over Bower, but I wanted to keep Josh because I thought he had shown a little something of his potential in the few games he had last year.

It will be interesting to see if the weagles do play him for the first time against us.

Handy Tatts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back