burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Thanks for the write ups. Based on yesterday’s performance sounds like a few could be in line for a call up.

Does mason dewit have afl potential? Seems to be mentioned most weeks.

Reeves is a monster
Yeah, but which type?
1618212916776.png

Very noticeable when Brooksby went into the ruck he went for the stand and wrestle. Which is what is probably his strength, but it didn't seem to help with the clearances. Hopefully Ned continues to improve week on week year on year.

It was quite noticeable that Mitchell sent Brooksby to CHF in the last quarter. And it worked. Brooksby was able to take a couple of marks and dish off to players running past who were quick to head towards full-forward.

It's been a long time since I ventured out to Box Hill City Oval. Conditions are about the same since the last time. You're always guaranteed to get a wind chill factor lowering the temperature by a few degrees compared to surrounding locales and Saturday was no different, especially when the wind and rain hit in the third quarter.

I missed the first quarter due to personal commitments, and didn't really start watching until about 10 minutes into the second (when the Blues were kicking with the wind). It was about that time that the Blues got on top in the midfield, which allowed them to win clean centre clearances and kick to the advantage of their forwards. Not much the Box Hill Hawk defenders could do to stem the flow, given the ease with which the Blues were getting the ball into their attack. But Box Hill fought back towards the end of the quarter, when Reeves went back into the ruck and started winning a few ruck taps that allowed Cousins and the like to win some clearances.

As stemline mentioned on the weekend, the Hawks generally played Jeka as the deep key forward and it was pretty clear that he's the focal point around which the likes of Morris and Hanrahan feed off. Jeka is a pretty good mark for this level of play and he can lead pretty well. Just not sure how his game will translate to facing AFL-standard key defenders. Only one way to find out, I guess, but it could be a while before the Hawks throw him into the deep end.

Same with Reeves. He has now developed the ruck craft to be a competitor at the AFL level, but I do think he'll get beat around the ground a fair bit. I know Ceglar has his critics on this board with his work around the ground, but at the moment, there's not much difference between Reeves and Ceglar, and Ceglar has the more mature body, so he gets the nod for now.

Cousins is a ball-magnet at VFL level, but he needs to add polish to his disposals. It's hard to do that when you're in and under all the time, but I suspect that is why the Hawks are preferring Worpel at this stage over him, and I don't see Cousins edging out JOM or Mitchell or Shiels at this stage. Cousins is pretty much a one-trick pony, so it's going to be hard for him to break into the team for the immediate future.

I think Hanrahan bounced back from his omission pretty well and he's probably in the mix for the Hawks next round against Melbourne. Played pretty much the classic forward pocket, which I think suits him better than the half-forward role he's assumed at Hawthorn. Did some clever things, especially when the Blues had got on top, to swing the momentum back in Box Hill's favour. Morris kicked a ripping goal from the boundary line in some really ordinary conditions in the third quarter to stop the Blues extending their lead against the wind, and then bobbed up with another goal almost immediately. It's good to see the Hawks putting together a group of goal-kicking smalls, even if it takes some time for Morris to win a spot in the Hawthorn forward line.

I was quite interested in watching Nash. He played up the ground a lot on Saturday and he's developing a real physical edge to his game, in that he's not afraid to go where angels fear to tread and to clear a path for his teammates to follow. His skills are also coming along nicely. I think it's only a matter of time before he gets another crack at AFL level, and I think he'll be better for his time at the VFL level, especially if the Hawks don't banish him to the wastelands of the half-forward line. Put him on the wing and tell him to hunt the footy and I think he'll be decent, if not very good.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's been a long time since I ventured out to Box Hill City Oval. Conditions are about the same since the last time. You're always guaranteed to get a wind chill factor lowering the temperature by a few degrees compared to surrounding locales and Saturday was no different, especially when the wind and rain hit in the third quarter.

I missed the first quarter due to personal commitments, and didn't really start watching until about 10 minutes into the second (when the Blues were kicking with the wind). It was about that time that the Blues got on top in the midfield, which allowed them to win clean centre clearances and kick to the advantage of their forwards. Not much the Box Hill Hawk defenders could do to stem the flow, given the ease with which the Blues were getting the ball into their attack. But Box Hill fought back towards the end of the quarter, when Reeves went back into the ruck and started winning a few ruck taps that allowed Cousins and the like to win some clearances.

As stemline mentioned on the weekend, the Hawks generally played Jeka as the deep key forward and it was pretty clear that he's the focal point around which the likes of Morris and Hanrahan feed off. Jeka is a pretty good mark for this level of play and he can lead pretty well. Just not sure how his game will translate to facing AFL-standard key defenders. Only one way to find out, I guess, but it could be a while before the Hawks throw him into the deep end.

Same with Reeves. He has now developed the ruck craft to be a competitor at the AFL level, but I do think he'll get beat around the ground a fair bit. I know Ceglar has his critics on this board with his work around the ground, but at the moment, there's not much difference between Reeves and Ceglar, and Ceglar has the more mature body, so he gets the nod for now.

Cousins is a ball-magnet at VFL level, but he needs to add polish to his disposals. It's hard to do that when you're in and under all the time, but I suspect that is why the Hawks are preferring Worpel at this stage over him, and I don't see Cousins edging out JOM or Mitchell or Shiels at this stage. Cousins is pretty much a one-trick pony, so it's going to be hard for him to break into the team for the immediate future.

I think Hanrahan bounced back from his omission pretty well and he's probably in the mix for the Hawks next round against Melbourne. Played pretty much the classic forward pocket, which I think suits him better than the half-forward role he's assumed at Hawthorn. Did some clever things, especially when the Blues had got on top, to swing the momentum back in Box Hill's favour. Morris kicked a ripping goal from the boundary line in some really ordinary conditions in the third quarter to stop the Blues extending their lead against the wind, and then bobbed up with another goal almost immediately. It's good to see the Hawks putting together a group of goal-kicking smalls, even if it takes some time for Morris to win a spot in the Hawthorn forward line.

I was quite interested in watching Nash. He played up the ground a lot on Saturday and he's developing a real physical edge to his game, in that he's not afraid to go where angels fear to tread and to clear a path for his teammates to follow. His skills are also coming along nicely. I think it's only a matter of time before he gets another crack at AFL level, and I think he'll be better for his time at the VFL level, especially if the Hawks don't banish him to the wastelands of the half-forward line. Put him on the wing and tell him to hunt the footy and I think he'll be decent, if not very good.
Awesome write up and thanks for the game updates too (even if Idid read them not even close to when you posted them)

:thumbsu:

Great write up mate

is Reeves any realistic change to debut this season?

Might get a cup of coffee at the back of the season but I suspect the Hawks will want to bring him on slowly and let him play in the VFL, especially if they make VFL finals.

Great write up, thanks guys.

Can I ask, what is Mitchell's game style at BHH? Is it evident, and if so, discernibly different from the senior side?
Even though i havent seen a single game experience tells me. It will be the hawthorn gameplan mate. Why would it be something else the boys are being trained to play the hawthorn way

Even though i havent seen a single game experience tells me. It will be the hawthorn gameplan mate. Why would it be something else the boys are being trained to play the hawthorn way
Yes sure, but Sam is his own man with his own ideas. It would be interesting to see if he was doing anything different.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Great write up Dixie.

Interesting to see who gets a call up.
Keen to see Reeves get a taste sooner rather than later. He would be likely playing alongside BB as 2nd ruck so being a bit light isn’t such an issue.

Surely cousins has to get a shot sometime? Bit hard to say he can’t get in until kicking improves while our senior mids butcher it and give up leads most games.

Nash and Morris may need to come in soon to add some defensive pressure as ball leaves our 50 too easily.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Great write up Dixie.

Interesting to see who gets a call up.
Keen to see Reeves get a taste sooner rather than later. He would be likely playing alongside BB as 2nd ruck so being a bit light isn’t such an issue.

Surely cousins has to get a shot sometime? Bit hard to say he can’t get in until kicking improves while our senior mids butcher it and give up leads most games.

Nash and Morris may need to come in soon to add some defensive pressure as ball leaves our 50 too easily.
Dees have Gawn and Jackson atm. Good idea for Jackson to learn form the best. BB in his twilight years so sooner rather than later might be a plan? Perhaps a debut against a side with a less daunting ruck division than the Dees though.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dees have Gawn and Jackson atm. Good idea for Jackson to learn form the best. BB in his twilight years so sooner rather than later might be a plan? Perhaps a debut against a side with a less daunting ruck division than the Dees though.
Reeves, although not a good matchup for Gawn, is a good matchup for Jackson. I’d love to see it.

Reeves, although not a good matchup for Gawn, is a good matchup for Jackson. I’d love to see it.
We don’t want Reeves playing as a defender.

Back