Box Hill v Port Melbourne Sunday 15 April 2pm @Box Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Full Time

Box Hill 8.15.63
Port Melbourne 14.13.97

A good display from the lads today. We were within 20 points at 3qrtr time and thought we had a real sniff to win but the last quarter was disappointing with Box Hill scoring only 1 goal in the last. Disappointing for the boys and Damien Carroll who really tried to pump them up and instill belief that they could win it in the last but alas it wasn't to be.

The 3WBC boys has Gilchrist, Wanganeen, Schnieder and Lowden as the better players for Box Hill. I also thought that Bruce, Hill, Murphy and Boumann deserve honorable mentions.

The Listed Players:

Boumann - Spoiled well all day and delivery out of the backline was good. Was under pressure due to a lot of inside 50's from Port and handled it well. Some of the delivery from the Port midfielders was brilliant but Boumann performed well. He is probably above this standard.

Kelly - Didn't notice him too much but did a few nice things with his run from the backline.

Gilly - As i said earlier the delivery from the Port midfielders was pretty good all day. Gilly got outbodied a few times in contested situation but i thought he organised the backline really well. His kicking is exceptional. Didn't miss a target all day. Will be better from the run-out.

Murphy - Played well today. Provided a lot of run off half-back and got a lot of touches. Don't know if it will be enough to get him back in the senior side but nice to see him find some form after a few quiet weeks.

Hill - Geez he is quick!! He was very good today, providing a lot of run from the wing. Needs a little work on his kicking but really showed some promise. I will mention one black spot on his game. He had the chance to make affect a marking contest early in the 4th and didn't go when it was his turn. He stayed down and a Port Melbourne player took the mark and kicked truly. Must learn to go when its his turn. Other than that he was very good. Lot to like.

Bruce - Though he played very well. Got a couple of goals and racked up the touches. His disposal was good i thought, particularly his kicking which normally is his weakness.

Ellis - Copped an injury late in the 2nd or early in the 3rd and didnt participate after that. Was just average up until that point.

Wanganeen - He was okay. Played on a HFF/Wing and did a few nice things. Just solid.

Pattison - Didn't do all that much. His ruckwork was poor but took a few nice marks around the ground. Played about 70% gametime up forward and rotated with Lowden in the ruck. Got more of the ball when he was in the ruck than when he did up forward.

Grimley - Played 100% of his game in the forward line and was pretty poor. Gets to a lot of marking contests but couldn't take the grab. Scored a goal after Gilchrist did a great smother and pick up to kick it to Grimley who was in the goal square. I'm suprised he didn't do any ruckwork today.. Perhaps the club see him as a KPF??

Lowden- Thought he was the dominant ruckman on the ground today. Would have won about 90% of the hitouts up against Wayde Skipper and Bondaddio. He has improved so much from last year in this department. Needs to take a few more contested grabs around the ground if he is to really push for senior selection. Rotated with Pattison up forward but didn't do much up there.

Schnieder- Was very good today. Scored a few nice on-the-run goals and was good around around the stoppages. Once he puts on some size i can see him replacing Sam Mitchell in the senior line-up. Has a future at HFC.

Langford - Pretty quiet game by his standards. Did some nice spoils before copping what looked like to be an extremely painful corkie in the 3rd. Didn't play after this incident. Hope he is okay as he is a very important player to Box Hill.

Johnson - Had a good first quarter and took some nice grabs up forward. Did nothing after that. Pretty big lad, lot to work with here.

Notable Mentions

Gilchrist - Thought he was BOG today from Box Hill. Kicked some great goals and provided a marking option on the HFF. Geez he can kick a football... Can kick it 60m without even trying. He was exceptional today. :thumbsu:

Andrews - He was also good around the stoppages.

If we kicked straight today it could have been a different story. Looking forward to next week

Gilly - As i said earlier the delivery from the Port midfielders was pretty good all day. Gilly got outbodied a few times in contested situation but i thought he organised the backline really well. His kicking is exceptional. Didn't miss a target all day. Will be better from the run-out.

Murphy - Played well today. Provided a lot of run off half-back and got a lot of touches. Don't know if it will be enough to get him back in the senior side but nice to see him find some form after a few quiet weeks.

Sounds like Shoe and Stratts

Gilchrist must be ready for a rookie slot at end of season?

Needs to find some consistency (Played seniors week 1 [was v poor] reserves week 2, and BOG in seniors week 3).

In saying this he has got a lot of AFL desirable attributes, particularly his kicking and marking from a HFF. He is also very quick on a lead. Lot to work with

Did Stephen Gilham go round? I thought he was back this week

From blackbyrd's post

The development side unfurled their premiership flag today :thumbsu:. Played like a premiership team too. Great to see even though they have had a large turnover of personal. It was also great to see some of the old box hill boys come down and support their mates :thumbsu:. You know who you are guys. I wasn't able to stay till the end of the game but we are the best part of 9 goals up. Will be back later to post some of my thoughts from the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursfan
Did Stephen Gilham go round? I thought he was back this week

Refer to 'Gilly' for his assessment
Righto , I was thinking gilly and gilchirst were the same:eek: - cheers

Full Time

The Listed Players:

Langford - Pretty quiet game by his standards. Did some nice spoils before copping what looked like to be an extremely painful corkie in the 3rd. Didn't play after this incident. Hope he is okay as he is a very important player to Box Hill.

Johnson - Had a good first quarter and took some nice grabs up forward. Did nothing after that. Pretty big lad, lot to work with here.

Notable Mentions

Thanks for the report, it is deeply appreciated, but for the record who or what is a Johnson???

I can't see any Hawthorn listed players called Johnson on our website and I can't recall any BH players from last season of that name other than the ex Demons rookie, Paul.

Sounds like Will Johnson, picked up from St Kilda.

DSC_1696.JPG

Does anyone know if Port Melbourne's Tom Langford is the Uncle of Hawthorns Will? Kinda strange.:confused:

Will Johnson was picked up after being delisted by Saints.
As I understand it he was drafted by Saints as a potential key defender but had an unlucky run with injuries. Late in the piece StKilda decided that he infact was a better proposition as a forward and spent last year training him for that position. He was then Delisted in the St Kilda clean out. So effectively he hasn't been given a chance by the Saints.
He is big fast and skilled and I have been told he often had the better of Jack Watts in school football.
He needs good coaching and some luck
I think he is a very astute selection by Box Hill/ Hawthorn and hope he gets a good run at it.

A big thanks to all the people who provide comments on the Box Hill games, but especially this round since there was a clash with the Hawthorn game. I live interstate now so can't get to the games :-(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back