Boxing Day Test 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

That was the problem with this Test pitch. There was too much grass coverage meaning the pitch was always going to hold together. When the rains came, it ended any chance of the pitch deteriorating.

There was bugger all on this one compared to other years....the commentators all mentioned at the toss that they were surprised he took so much grass off it. The drop in pitches just do not fall to bits because they are prepared and then packed into the ground in trays. The solil cannot loosen naturally like the old MCG pitches did. They also don't have a whole winter of blokes running across them digging them up. Curators can grow these things for months and have deeper root systems that also help hold them together

Elsewhere doesn't have cricket as their second sport so they don't have to deal with it. Blame the AFL.

This is it. Drop in pitches originated back in the 1970s when World Series Cricket began. Because Packer was forced to use venues such as Football Park and VFL Park (Waverley), and curator John Maley couldn't get onto the grounds until after the football season, drop ins were essential. Other venues such as Gloucester Park (WA) and Sydney Showgrounds could be prepared in situ, and were better decks.

However, Maley claims the drop ins for the second season were on the improve, much faster and bouncier, and says it was a pity WCS didn't continue longer than the 2 years as technology for drop ins weren't improved upon for another 30-odd years.

We have drop-ins now for the same reasons as WSC in 1977, because AFL is played at most major venues and they won't allow permanent cricket pitches. So, they are here to stay, all we can hope for is the standard improves as John Maley predicts.

There was bugger all on this one compared to other years....the commentators all mentioned at the toss that they were surprised he took so much grass off it. The drop in pitches just do not fall to bits because they are prepared and then packed into the ground in trays. The solil cannot loosen naturally like the old MCG pitches did. They also don't have a whole winter of blokes running across them digging them up. Curators can grow these things for months and have deeper root systems that also help hold them together

I'm talking about grass coverage, not the length of the grass. There was a much thicker mat of grass than at other venues, something commentators also mentioned. I recall Healy in particular explaining that very point, but as usual, most people are too busy complaining about commentators to take in much of what they say :)

At least this should be the straw RE: the Melbourne wicket. It's been s**t for a while, but this was beyond dire. Might just have been the most pointless ashes test of all time, and the paying public deserve better.

I don't think the drop in nature is the problem. No reason they can't keep extra grass on, or add a little bit of moisture.
These drop ins are the originals from 03/04 apparently

Tony Dodemaide was interviewed by ABC and mentioned they may need to be replanted moving forward

The pitch in perth was 10x worse
Na the mcg has been s**t for a while and this year was it's zenith.

Perth has gone far too batsmen friendly in recent years, but almost all bowlers would prefer to bowl in Perth compared to Melbourne. At least there if you get the ball in the right areas in Perth you can take wickets. Melbourne was a case of just plodding along with ball in hand until the batsmen makes a mistake. The problem with Perth is the margin for error was extremely low and the punishment for error was high. Slightly off and the bail just sailed to the boundary.

It goes without saying batsmen would prefer Perth. Ball coming onto the bat and value for shots.

There has to be more spice in it on the first day, and it has to deteriorate towards the end of the game. This played the same from first to last, we could have ended up with a Durban 1939 scenario if not for modern rules. No batsman was going to get out anytime soon.
Yep - we started with an attrition based day 3 pitch and ended with an attrition based Day 3 pitch. Not good for cricket.

The WACA was rightfully lambasted for the NZ test pitch a few years ago and the groundsmen managed to restore at least some of the balance. Doesn't seem to be any pressure from Melbourne's media sycophants for them to do the same.
Looks like this year has been the turning point. The pitch has copped a savaging in the media and rightfully so. Anyone that paid money to go to that test should feel completely robbed of their cash.

Boycott’s stint commentating was terrific. Spoke an awful lot of common sense. Highlight of the match.

I missed Boycs’ When he first got on and made the comment about batsmen should hang themselves if they got out in that pitch. He should always stick to cricket. Great cricketer, failed human being.

I missed Boycs’ When he first got on and made the comment about batsmen should hang themselves if they got out in that pitch. He should always stick to cricket. Great cricketer, failed human being.

Wasn't that great a cricketer.

Selfish as heck

Would bat all day and do SFA for his team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

24 wickets in five days is pretty dismal. Fair to say they weren't the greatest bowling lineups but it's a worry that the pitch never really deteriorates in Melbourne.
Road or not the mcg is in desperate need of it's own unique character....ie something that suits a certain type of bowler as the current iteration offers very little to spinners and seamers alike.
Given the wicket holds together so well I'm not sure why the curators don't leave a f#vk tonne of grass on it so it seams around like a go kart days 1 & 2. Given the lack of bounce it's never going to be hazardous is it?

ca63e33df8d21124d6a61a4f37c02bc7.jpg

So why does root need his hand in his pocket to rub the ball.

Jesus Christ look at all those empty seats

I thought this was the ‘premier’ test?

Do any of you Victorians think maybe your players don’t get picked because they are ******* shithouse?

Only player that even remotely close to consideration is Maxwell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Cook or Root, [sounds like last nights proposition to the war office] were racehorses they would be drug tested.

Do any of you Victorians think maybe your players don’t get picked because they are ******* shithouse?

Glory me mate, are you ok?

Does that chip on your shoulder make it hard to type?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back