BOXING Green vs Mundine

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Lol the campaigner Mundine should of been disqualified in the first round for that cheap shot.

No he shouldn't, the ref didn't call break. He stuffed up again by deducting a point, protect yourself at all times.

EDIT: I need to watch a replay, some are saying the ref did call break, I sure didn't see it at the time.

Last edited:
Really that was an ordinary fight and not pretty to watch from either boxer. I'm glad Green won for a few reasons: no doubt that cheap shot from Mundine changed the fight, Green has had the better career, it's better for the Green/Mundine rivalry to have a 1 all standing and I'm a Green fan.

Really at the end of the 10th the point decision could have gone either way and I was worried Mundine might get the points. In saying that I think it's a bit of a weird perception to go with the fighter who finished stronger (Mundine) at the expense of the earlier rounds, which went Green's way.

I also don't get the hype about Mundine going up in weight to fight Green this time. Throughout Mundine's career there's been a lot of talk that he went too low in weight and should have stayed middleweight/super middleweight instead of dropping to light middleweight. Super middleweight is just 3kg less than what he fought at last night and Mundine looked a lot healthier at the heavier weight vs his bouts at light middleweight.

Unfortunately we never got to see them fight at light heavyweight in their prime, because that's where the best fight would have been.

look up the scorecard
i wonder if anything can be changed due to an error in rnd 7.
should have been a majority draw on the scorecards
Correct me if I'm wrong but on all of the scorecards in the image posted, the total for each judge adds up to the total given without removal of either fighters deducted point?

Green did nothing either... What did green do to mundine all fight tbh?! Barely tagged him with a clean hit, let alone a knock down. His face was beaten from his head being rocked back by mundines stiff jab. Green came out aggressive but was cooked by the end of the first and was just holding onto mundine the rest of the fight. Even mundines biggest haters can't say green fought a good fight, he was putrid.

he was aggressive and showing intent. he was controlling the ring. all of those things factor into points as well.

mundine just sat back and waited too long.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Can't stand Mundine but anyone who thinks he wasn't robbed is blinded by their dislike of the bloke. Early rounds where even with both fighters were useless. Mundine completely controlled the fight from about half way through.

This will be looked back on in years to come as our generation's Fine Cotton. 98-90? Honestly that judge needs to be hauled over the coals. I would find it impossible to defend that scorecard.

That was also a dog hit from Mundine in Rd 1. I was hoping the fight would be stopped then just for the melts that would've occurred.

An absolute farcical night for Boxing. From Quade Cooper's opponent to the fact these guys are expected to pocket $10M to the end result.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
No he shouldn't, the ref didn't call break. He stuffed up again by deducting a point, protect yourself at all times.

EDIT: I need to watch a replay, some are saying the ref did call break, I sure didn't see it at the time.
Ref said " let go let go lets break then bang mundine hit . It was very loud you must be deaf . Mundine is a sniper . In the 1st fight Green was a gentleman and could have nailed Mundine when Mundine slipped . Anyway Mundine was lucky not to be Disqualified

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Can't stand Mundine but anyone who thinks he wasn't robbed is blinded by their dislike of the bloke. Early rounds where even with both fighters were useless. Mundine completely controlled the fight from about half way through.

This will be looked back on in years to come as our generation's Fine Cotton. 98-90? Honestly that judge needs to be hauled over the coals. I would find it impossible to defend that scorecard.

That was also a dog hit from Mundine in Rd 1. I was hoping the fight would be stopped then just for the melts that would've occurred.

An absolute farcical night for Boxing. From Quade Cooper's opponent to the fact these guys are expected to pocket $10M to the end result.
Totally agree with the last 2 paragraphs in particular. Had the fight been stopped, as it possibly should have been, it would've been a pretty appropriate ending to the 2 guys careers. Mundine with the dog act, Green felled by the type of punch he's spent years campaigning against.

As for the Cooper 'fight'......

Jan 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Lucky me as I had a small wager on Green.

Having said that it's UFC all the way for me now.

At least they don't award a win to a bloke that has clearly lost. (mainly because the bloke that lost is lying is a pool of his own blood unable to move).

Not the first time this has happened in a boxing fight but still disappointing.

Jan 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Really that was an ordinary fight and not pretty to watch from either boxer. I'm glad Green won for a few reasons: no doubt that cheap shot from Mundine changed the fight, Green has had the better career, it's better for the Green/Mundine rivalry to have a 1 all standing and I'm a Green fan.

Really at the end of the 10th the point decision could have gone either way and I was worried Mundine might get the points. In saying that I think it's a bit of a weird perception to go with the fighter who finished stronger (Mundine) at the expense of the earlier rounds, which went Green's way.

I also don't get the hype about Mundine going up in weight to fight Green this time. Throughout Mundine's career there's been a lot of talk that he went too low in weight and should have stayed middleweight/super middleweight instead of dropping to light middleweight. Super middleweight is just 3kg less than what he fought at last night and Mundine looked a lot healthier at the heavier weight vs his bouts at light middleweight.

Unfortunately we never got to see them fight at light heavyweight in their prime, because that's where the best fight would have been.
Agree with some of that but all the betting agencies had Green go in as favourite but at the end of the 10th he was 7 to 1. That doesn't happen unless they know Green has lost. Absolutely no way Green really won that fight. He won the popularity contest and we all know boxing results are prone to corruption.

Having said that it may have been because of the cheap shot of Mundine which clearly concussed him. He never recovered and Mundine took advantage.

REMATCH!!!

Agree with some of that but all the betting agencies had Green go in as favourite but at the end of the 10th he was 7 to 1. That doesn't happen unless they know Green has lost. Absolutely no way Green really won that fight. He won the popularity contest and we all know boxing results are prone to corruption.

Having said that it may have been because of the cheap shot of Mundine which clearly concussed him. He never recovered and Mundine took advantage.

REMATCH!!!
If there's a rematch (at the moment I don't want to see one) I hope it's not at Adelaide in front of a half empty stadium. Even though a Melbourne fight probably would have been at Etihad the perfect venue is aami park with the crowd right on top of the action.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
Just because Green let Mundine come at him didnt mean Mundine controlled the fight . That was strategic as Green learnt from the 1st fight . I saw heavier punches coming from Green in his countering . The only round Mundine controlled was round 9. It was surprising he didnt dominate round 10 . So Mundine could be given 2 rounds .

Mead

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles

This. He might be a s**t bloke, but this is the second time Mundine has given away height and weight to Green and still plainly beaten him. He's just better, end of story.

Farcical result, I hope Danny Green realizes how ridiculous he looks.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Nailed it.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
Totally agree with the last 2 paragraphs in particular. Had the fight been stopped, as it possibly should have been, it would've been a pretty appropriate ending to the 2 guys careers. Mundine with the dog act, Green felled by the type of punch he's spent years campaigning against.

As for the Cooper 'fight'......
Brilliant post

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes

REMATCH!!!
Round 9 was a dominant round by Mundine . Thats why the round 10 odds were Green was gonna be knocked out and that was the only way Mundine could win it . As it happened round 10 was pretty even . So suckers on all the Gamblers eh!

Highlight of the night was the Tszyu fight

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Wouldn't the odds blow out as people put money on Mundine rather than the betting agencies changing the odds?

My take was that Green won most rounds marginally without any really dominant periods. Mundine had some dominant rounds but too few and too late.

Even the commentator alongside Gerard had it down as a draw. I don't buy the "he was robbed" argument. The third ref didn't help with his absurd scoring that even Danny Green has called incorrect.

Back