Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
After years in the wilderness boxing has recently returned to free-to-air television.

The trend will continue with Channel 9 telecasting a Melbourne fight card on July 8th, featuring Wil Tomlinson, Michael Katsidis, Jai Opetaia and Nader Hamdan.

The telecast will follow 9's coverage of State of Origin III.

***Has been moved to August 14th***

Last edited:
Ch9 pulling all the punches...

There just needs to be more boxing on tv period

Ch9 pulling all the punches...

There just needs to be more boxing on tv period

Fortunately Channel 9 boss David Gyngell is a bit of a fight fan >

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/boxing/boxing-channel-nine-to-broadcast-first-world-title-fight-in-25-years-when-billy-dib-takes-on-takashi-miura/story-fndkzthy-1227275589166

Gyngell believes boxing is enjoying a renaissance and can envision the sport returning to the glorious heydays when Jeff Fenech and co captured the attention of the nation.

“I definitely see something, the UFC has had it all its own way these last few years but I still think boxing can be what it was, a couple of lightweights are about to have the world’s biggest fight,” Gyngell said.

“It is an Olympic sport as well, it is based on characters and as they come through we’d like to give them exposure.

“It’s a matter of finding the talent.”

is this going to be nation wide, I would love to see some more MMA on free to air TV, love to see a national organisation

Do you get live coverage of the State of Origin games in Perth?

Because Channel 9's plan is to follow the Origin III game with the fights.

I guess the hardest thing is trying to uncover fan bases within the public

Yeah...trying to get the public to support a fighter. Would be a hard market I would imagine.

As simple as it sounds, people relate to people - that's the key.

It's all about the broadcaster making specific fighters a part of people's lives, so as they can relate to them and want to know more about them.

Very much like the old days when Channel 0 televised VFA football on sunday afternoons. They were successful because they bought people like Freddy Cook, Frosty Miller & Phil Cleary into the viewer's loungerooms and lives by promoting them as larger than life characters.

Last edited:
I thought Katsidis wasn't able to get medical clearance to fight anymore?

Interesting you mention Kats. His name has been removed from the Melbourne card for July 8th.

I believe he has moved back to Queensland and has resumed with his old trainer Brendan Smith. But nothing at this stage to suggest he has retired.

Interesting you mention Kats. His name has been removed from the Melbourne card for July 8th.

I believe he has moved back to Queensland and has resumed with his old trainer Brendan Smith.

He was actually doing some Boxing 101 classes at my mate's gym the last few weeks, from what I'd heard he'd fallen on some hard times unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was actually doing some Boxing 101 classes at my mate's gym the last few weeks, from what I'd heard he'd fallen on some hard times unfortunately.

Very hard times. Including losing his own brother. Seeing his trainers son - who was like a brother to him - die in the ring, and not to mention having to appear in court a few times for his own indiscretions.

Boxing is pretty much all Kats has, and his form has fallen away and his head as taken enough punishment for two lifetimes already.

Very hard times. Including losing his own brother. Seeing his trainers son - who was like a brother to him - die in the ring, and not to mention having to appear in court a few times for his own indiscretions.

Boxing is pretty much all Kats has, and his form has fallen away and his head as taken enough punishment for two lifetimes already.

His performance in the Marquez fight after his brother passing is the gutsiest sporting effort I've ever seen, he nearly pulled it off too against one of the sport's true greats. And didn't hear about his trainer's son, that's ****ed, and yeah I knew he'd had some brushes with the law. Sad to hear, hope he comes good, doesn't sound like he should be fighting again though.

His performance in the Marquez fight after his brother passing is the gutsiest sporting effort I've ever seen, he nearly pulled it off too against one of the sport's true greats. And didn't hear about his trainer's son, that's stuffed, and yeah I knew he'd had some brushes with the law. Sad to hear, hope he comes good, doesn't sound like he should be fighting again though.

Kats' trainer Brendan Smith's son Braydon - who idolized Mick Katsidis - died after a fight back in March >

Tears flow for boxer Braydon Smith

A life which promised so much was brought to a tragic end today with the death of Braydon Smith.

55-2111061-twb080313fight030_fct683x512x116.0_t620.jpg

The popular young boxer and law student who collapsed some hours after stepping out of the ring at Rumours International in Toowoomba on Saturday night breathed his last surrounded by family and close friends at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane early this afternoon

lol thought it was origin 2 was so disapointed when it wasnt listed

You may yet be disappointed >

The Melbourne boxing card to be televised by Channel 9 has been moved from July 8th to August 14th

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=714698

Looking at the change, the reason is probably that on July 8th the 9 Network has State of Origin III and the Ashes Test match to contend with - so no channel free for the boxing. Had thought the boxing was to follow Origin though?

Anyway August 14th it is - at least until further notice anyway.

Last edited:
Channel 31 appear to have thrown their hat into the ring with LIVE free to air boxing coverage. Starting with Zac Dunn vs Max Busak at 8.30pm tomorrow (Sat 27th June).

Will be interesting who they get and how they do the broadcast. Lucky Ch7 havent got it....We would be listening to Bruce :p

Will be interesting who they get and how they do the broadcast. Lucky Ch7 havent got it....We would be listening to Bruce :p

Peter Maniatis is Mr Boxing at Channel 31. He'll no doubt feature. Barry Michael also likely to play a part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back