Roast Boys club Benny Hart

Remove this Banner Ad

Paywalled
Article by Robbo about how good McCartney is as an assistant as compared to a head coach, that he can be difficult to work with sometimes but because he doesnt accept sooks

Ended with this

On Tuesday night at the AFL Hall of Fame, Geelong champion Matthew Scarlett mentioned McCartney’s name more than Mark Thompson’s.

One was an assistant coach in the Cats’ glory years and the other was the senior coach, but Scarlett’s high regard for McCartney was impossible to ignore.

They say Scarlett wants to be a senior coach one day and, rest assured, he will want McCartney beside him if that ever happens.

In the meantime, if pyramids need to be built, a club could do worse than have McCartney as its engineer.

Our backline isn't the problem. Oppo teams are moving the ball through, over and around our press far too easily and getting lots of goals out the back.

Our backline isn't the problem. Oppo teams are moving the ball through, over and around our press far too easily and getting lots of goals out the back.

There is that but I think that is being caused by having a midfield that isn't conditioned to do the miles. You have CEY coming back from a knee, Matt Crouch who has played about 4 matches in 10 and Greenwood who may only ever be a pinch hit mid for us. The fact that our midfield coaching group is going in with that, particularly after last week just shows how bereft of ideas they are

I'm not a subscriber but there isn't a paywall that I can't get past and I agree, it talks him up as a handy assistant coach but not the driving force

He was just demoted from the coaching box, after it took him 3 years to get in there - lasted a month before they kicked him out again

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/me...h/news-story/96e00faebf5bad04e584b43da4c81ebd

McCartney shares the backline coaching duties with Troy Chaplin, who will remain in the coaches’ box.

McCartney was included in the coaches’ box this season after spending his first three years on the bench when he didn’t look after a coaching line. Under Paul Roos, McCartney had a direct phone to Simon Goodwin and was a valuable conduit between those upstairs and the players coming off and on the ground.

It was Goodwin who wanted McCartney at the club in the first place as a mentor.

Roos, who arrived at the club a year before McCartney, conceded it is highly unusual for a line coach to be positioned on the bench.

“I don’t know specifically what Brendan’s role is going to be on the bench, but all your line coaches are (normally) in the box with you,” Roos told Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

if he’s not important enough to be in the box he sure as * isn’t the driving force behind any god damned revival

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is that but I think that is being caused by having a midfield that isn't conditioned to do the miles. You have CEY coming back from a knee, Matt Crouch who has played about 4 matches in 10 and Greenwood who may only ever be a pinch hit mid for us. The fact that our midfield coaching group is going in with that, particularly after last week just shows how bereft of ideas they are
Those guys aren't exactly the quickest midfielders either, they are good in close players.

Our team defence and transition defence is kind of crappolla in general as we really don't have much closing speed, or intent to defend when we lose the ball.

Greenwood, Cey, crouch, Gibbs, Atkins, Douglas, Lynch, none of these guys are good transition defenders.

We have too many in the side that are way too quick to pass the responsibility to the next player with only a token effort.

Love to see former players come back to the club in a coaching capacity and subsequently ruin their club legacies by being completely inept at their jobs.

From a supporters perspective this is heartbreaking. In the old days we used to hire the newly retired ex-AFC players as unknowns but now we are hiring ex-AFC players who have failed at other clubs. Fagan and Roo have sold us a lie and they are no better than previous administrations.

I would also love to see the the time of service of our board members. The personnel changes but the toxic culture always remains.

If he doesn't walk beforehand Pyke will be gone by the start of the 2020 season.

Lots of people struggling with winter already

How many times was blight sacked before coming here

There was no harm in giving Hart a go, which we did after he retired. He did actually earn the right as a player. But he was already tried, tested and failed. Its ridiculous that we brought him back when he was widely regarded to have failed at the Pies.

I wouldn’t have any issues with Tex going straight in as our forwards coach after he finishes up. However, that shouldn’t be a lifetime position and if he isn’t good enough. Move on.

Campo, Clarke, Hart, Burton and Haas must go at the end of the year. There really is no way that we can consider ourselves professional and on the front foot if we don’t make this move. I am not sure that ROK has shown much with the SANFL team either, but he at least has two hands tied behind his back.

Making the right decisions at this level will be just as important as getting in a good draft position at the end of this year. Otherwise another batch of talent will be wasted.

I'm not a subscriber but there isn't a paywall that I can't get past and I agree, it talks him up as a handy assistant coach but not the driving force
They said in the Melbourne/Adelaide match that Goodwin leaves most of the gameday tactics down to Craig Jennings.

But that's kind of the point. Goody gets quality assistants to help him with his weaknesses. We get Campo and Hart.

The problem with blokes like Hart is that being a naturally gifted player doesn't make you a great coach. It's probably why blokes like Bassett who had to play smarter because they weren't as gifted make the better coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back