Universal Love Brad Close

Remove this Banner Ad

Did close ever play SANFL? I thought he came straight from North Gambier via the Western Boarder Football League (Max Rooke's stomping ground, John Mossop too I believe)
Do you mean 2019 Glenelg Premiership player Brad Close?
untitled.png

Clever - creative player Close - and a tidy kick

A small mans version of Ken Newslands - in that he is allways thinking ahead of the current play - and trying to do something creative ( like a tap on or a hand pass ) to put another Geel player in the right spot to kick the goal - or be the next link in the play - so eventually a Geel player is in the box seat to kick the goal

Heard some ridiculous stat like Close has played in 7 GFs in 10 years or something along those lines. Can anyone provide further info on that?
Yep the 2020 and 2021 seasons were the first time in a long time he wasn't playing in a GF and even then he was an emergency in 2020

Yep the 2020 and 2021 seasons were the first time in a long time he wasn't playing in a GF and even then he was an emergency in 2020
From memory on hearing his Dad speak on the fiveaa sports show (Adelaide) during gf week, he played in his first senior gf or premiership at 15 with his original club North Gambier.
He held back on overtures from Glenelg until he completed his yr 12 in the Mount (Mount Gambier). University and playing f/t with the bays followed. The rest is history

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question?

What would Close we worth in a trade. ? Contracted till 2023 ..so he is not going anywhere atm ... but I feel he is hard to put a value on.

Compare him to Henry ..who should be worth more.. but I doubt Close would get P25
He would certainly go earlier than 25. A proven player with X Factor as compared to an untried player at the top level.

Question?

What would Close we worth in a trade. ? Contracted till 2023 ..so he is not going anywhere atm ... but I feel he is hard to put a value on.

Compare him to Henry ..who should be worth more.. but I doubt Close would get P25
Two first rounders, one of them being inside the top 10.

I'm not joking.

Whats the odds of that happening. Id say we woudl be lucky to get a pick in the 20's .Just shows how the draft is over rated.
Probably just highlights that trade value is completely dependent on the context of the trade.

Contracted vs Uncontracted
RFA vs UFA vs non-FA
Player ok with staying vs Player demanding to leave
Money left on contract vs Blank slate

So many factors to consider before you even get to impact on the field.

Question?

The really question is why would Close be considered less valuable then Henry.

why was Henry draft at17 and close not at all? I cant see Close getting much in trade ...lets hope I never have to find out if I am correct
Better to look at AFL output. Top 7 (Best and Fairest) in a dominant premiership team is something OH is yet to achieve. Maybe next season, but I'd be surprised.

The longer in system ..sure the original draft position mean less and less.
To a degree, yes. So will Henry track at that level the next few years, possibly. Maybe he goes further and wins a best and fairest by then. Potentially he bobs up here and there without consistently changing games though. Clubs often can't afford to part with adequate picks for proven commodities in that "middle/upper tier range" and won't go there besides the classic big moves for a stoppage mid/key forward.

It becomes apples and oranges comparing a proven 24 year old and unproven 20 year old. Same as trying to compare draft pick value of league MVP Cameron aged 29 with say talented but only "good, not great" output of 25 year old Hipwood or the younger Kings.

Creative flankers with a unique skill set that run like the wind will be kept at all costs by clubs anyway. You more or less need to draft them or enable a turnaround ala Stengle. It's rare to acquire one via trade of Close quality or higher unless it's a "diamond in the rough" situation (i.e they come in with a questionable form line) - or they want out.

To a degree, yes. So will Henry track at that level the next few years, possibly. Maybe he goes further and wins a best and fairest by then. Potentially he bobs up here and there without consistently changing games though. Clubs often can't afford to part with adequate picks for proven commodities in that "middle/upper tier range" and won't go there besides the classic big moves for a stoppage mid/key forward.

It becomes apples and oranges comparing a proven 24 year old and unproven 20 year old. Same as trying to compare draft pick value of league MVP Cameron aged 29 with say talented but only "good, not great" output of 25 year old Hipwood.

Creative flankers with a unique skill set and run like the wind will be kept at all costs by clubs anyway. You more or less need to draft them or enable a turnaround ala Stengle. It's rare to acquire one via trade of Close quality or higher unless it's a "diamond in the rough" situation - or they want out.

In some degree it happens all the time. Someone has to decide how much to pay them based on worth and potential. Hoepfully we do find out what his trade value is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back