Universal Love Brad Close

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not a huge subscriber to the whole cult of the ''Moneyball'' philosophy, but I did read the book a few years ago and there was a bit of discussion about recruiters talking about players with a ''good face'' for baseball and all manner of silly biases that creep into any form of assessment.

Ollie Henry looks like a good footballer, can take an overhead mark, nice long kick - sexy stuff. A player like Brad Close is harder to pigeonhole, and yet he is just so effective. I'd definitely want a #10 selection in exchange for losing Brad Close - but I'd rather just sign him to a looooong contract to ensure we lucky Geelong supporters are the ones that get the pleasure of watching him contribute clever play after clever play for the rest of his career.

I have only seen the film...is that like when they are talking about good looking girl friends?

I have only seen the film...is that like when they are talking about good looking girl friends?

I can barely remember, but basically there was a section in which a bunch of recruiters are observed basically disregarding the relevant, quantifiable data instead trusting their ''gut'' going by players looks and build and potential

Need these players to win grand finals. doubt he will ever be all australian quality. But he is now a level above must half fowards.
if only he could snap better goals...

Im just stirring.... :cool:

But you are correct - He's a difference maker for us and his work and influence all over the ground is fantastic.
He and Stengle have a game sense and skill level that has lifted all boats around them.

GO CAtters

His sense of awareness is incredible. Seems to know exactly where players are. I also love how just composed and cool he is. Even when he does something he doesn't seem to celebrate too much or anything like that. He is great.
Saw him debut over here in atrocious conditions - took a great mark and kicked truly for a first possession goal.
What really stood out though was his clean , one touch , hands when everyone else handled the ball like soap.
My son and I were optimistic we had found one after that game.
He has added amazing endurance and is a goal kicking threat this season ( tended to pass off more the season before) - his tap ons , shepherds and tackling are also first class. Good things just seem to happen when he's around the footy :think: :thumbsu:

Saw him debut over here in atrocious conditions - took a great mark and kicked truly for a first possession goal.
My son and I were optimistic we had found one after that game.
He has added amazing endurance and is a goal kicking threat this season ( tended to pass off more the season before) - his tap ons , shepherds and tackling are also first class. Good things just seem to happen when he's around the footy :think: :thumbsu:

Thats basically word for word what Bob Davis said - after John Sharrocks 1st game !!!!

Loved his embrace after the siren too.
Wasn't jumping around in mad celebration, just had a quiet hug that meant plenty with the skipper.
So a great moment.
Found himself in Selwood’s arms after after his goal in the last too. Captured forever in Joel’s two big moments.

i saw him in the SANFL grand final destroying all on the members wing all day long for Glenelg and then Wellsy drafts him and says his elite running will help us. I love it when a plan comes together. He replaced Stokesy as my fav from game 1 and has just grafted his way from there to the best connector and whole ground pressure player in the team. Doesn’t say much but just does it. That’s the Geelong way.njust keep on keeping on. That embrace with Joel was special, as was the over the head handball (reading the game better than anyone else in the chaos) to give Parfit the GF goal he has earned over the years. That was the moment for me. All care of Closey. Team first.

I love the way Brad Close works so hard. He is as honest as they come. When we haven't got the ball he is running the ball carrier down from behind.
When we have the ball he runs hard to create space and offer an option. He doesn't waste the ball. I just love him.
I often wonder why top 10 picks sometimes don't make it and rookie picks sometimes do. Is it work ethic? "I am only a rookie. If I am going to make it, I have to work harder and offer more than the kids that went early in the draft".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unbelievable this guy is still getting paid rookie numbers.
Should be on 400k, rewatching the GF multiple times has given me opportunities to seek out individual performances to watch closely, and Brad was brilliant.
What a fantastic and unique player he's turned into.
It doesn’t mean he is getting paid rookie wages.

Close looks a little bit like the Quinones, the villain in 'Malverde', might have looked like in his youth, but is obviously a much much nicer chap!

Stolen from a Twitter page.

Fi6hMWNUYAAxTOV

Watched him as a junior playing senior country footy and use to think how good do you have to be to get drafted . He can take a specky don’t worry about that . I guess it was his size and not having a real great kick that put people off. Kudos to Geelong for spotting him . Definitely made Geelong a smarter football team.
Son of a gun and mum is smoking hot.

Brad and Tom Atkins and are the running power glue (and Myers as well except for his disposal), that elevated this team. Others can come and go but for the next 3 years at least if they stay fit, they will be low profile essentials to our performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back