News Brad Crouch decision (ADL chickenshit, decline to match, receive 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think pick 13 would have been fair value at the time and I said that in the thread on here. I don't think it's fair to retroactively argue he's worth less because he's not lighting it up at St Kilda in 2021.

I think it's fair to look back and say, 'Yep, the people saying he was worth a pick in the 20s were probably right'.

And I was hoping for pick 2 back then 🤣

They are a bit sensitive about it on the Saints board. They have their rehearsed lines ready about how their best 22 isn't that old.

The problem when you have a best 22 of "regular" age but an overall old squad is that all your backup depth players are old and not good enough.

Bringing in experienced hacks that have zero future in the side is bad for a team, and doubly so when those players are physically past it

I have no actual proof/evidence of this, but always felt St Kilda screwed you guys over with regards to how much they were going to pay Crouch p/a (ie went back on their word) so you would not get band 1 compo.

The whole scenario really smelt fishy to me.
The 5th year clause probably did this, instead of paying B.Crouch $150K more per year for 4 years they bundle this into a 5th year where he likely just need to play 5 games in his 4th year to trigger the clause.

Brad was never worth band 1. His performance has never been worth it. His salary was never worth it.

Anyone who thought we were getting band 1 was extremely deluded.
Williams isn't also consider a band 1 compensation but as a FA player, clubs are meant to overpay them to leave which happened to Williams. B.Crouch is a solid B+ grade midfielder so worth $650K + $100-150K as a RFA players.

So they're basically no worse off injury wise than every other club?
No 1 Ruckman and No.2 Ruckman out?

How do you reckon we'd look with no O'Brien and if you want to take it to the enth degree no Strachan?

Not to mention one of their better mids and ball users in Gresham who was averaging 28.5 disposals and 7 clearances a game before tearing his achilles early in round 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Player X isn't worth <insert compensation>"

A player is worth whatever the deal is. That's the market.

And the market has proven that no club was willing to give Brad the salary for a band 1 compensation pick

Brad was never worth band 1. His performance has never been worth it. His salary was never worth it.

Anyone who thought we were getting band 1 was extremely deluded.
Unfortunately Adam Kelly did.

This is because he knows what we pay Sloane M Crouch Smithers Laird Jenkins and Lynch.

No doubt Gibbs salary also inflated vs his "industry worth".

I have no doubt all of these guys are earning more than they would at another club. Which lead to Kelly assuming any offer for Brad would be worth Band 1.

Tex and Talia would be the only two well paid players we pay what the industry would value them to be.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

its clearly not as simple as that though. We were played like the new in town rubes we were.

hard not to admire STK a little in retrospect
We were played in the sense that internally we overrated Brad and his ability to get a higher contract on the open market

Better poker players

The game was lost before we even rocked up at the poker table when we decided we didn't want Brad at any cost, yet for some reason arrogantly thought he was still good enough to rake in dollars from other clubs

No 1 Ruckman and No.2 Ruckman out?

How do you reckon we'd look with no O'Brien and if you want to take it to the enth degree no Strachan?

Not to mention one of their better mids and ball users in Gresham who was averaging 28.5 disposals and 7 clearances a game before tearing his achilles early in round 3.

Every club suffers injuries.

In the 3rd qtr weren't Richmond using Pickett in the ruck, and the Tiges won 8 clearances in a row?

Bigger issues there than injuries to rucks. Players not running both ways for one.

Unfortunately Adam Kelly did.

This is because he knows what we pay Sloane M Crouch Smithers Laird Jenkins and Lynch.

No doubt Gibbs salary also inflated vs his "industry worth".

I have no doubt all of these guys are earning more than they would at another club. Whuch lead to Kelly assuming any offer for Brad would be worth Band 1.

Tex and Talia would be the only two well paid players we pay what the industry would value them to be.

I thought Sloane (Saints were very keen and given what they gave Hill and Hannebry) and Jenkins (Brisbane offer him more) signed on for lesser money? B.Crouch was already on $650K here, hence he was listed as a RFA and anyone would have thought the industry would have offer a RFA player $100-150K more to attract the FA player and to make sure the contract isn't matched. The problem was the Saints smartly knew we weren't going to match on length so they offer him the same money he was on with an extra 4th year and a clause for the 5th year which would have very easy target.

The game was lost before we even rocked up at the poker table when we decided we didn't want Brad at any cost, yet for some reason arrogantly thought he was still good enough to rake in dollars from other clubs
Should have offered him a token contract in 2020.

Like we did CEY Greenwood and even Lyons

I guess it could backfire if he wanted to stay.

Shows how much they wanted him gone.

Would have given some leverage in negotiating after matching though.

Both St Kilda and Brad knew we didn't want him.

Every club suffers injuries.

In the 3rd qtr weren't Richmond using Pickett in the ruck, and the Tiges won 8 clearances in a row?

Bigger issues there than injuries to rucks. Players not running both ways for one.
You've got a strange way of getting your point over.....Marlon Pickett is 184cm yet he absolutely dominated a local league level Ruckman in 200cm Paul Hunter and a Tall defender come Ruckman in Jake Carlisle. Nankervis destroyed Hunter and Carlisle and then the Tigers were taking the piss obviously when a shortarse mid set about dominating them as well.

I thought Sloane (Saints were very keen and given what they gave Hill and Hannebry) and Jenkins (Brisbane offer him more) signed on for lesser money? B.Crouch was already on $650K here, hence he was listed as a RFA and anyone would have thought the industry would have offer a RFA player $100-150K more to attract the FA player and to make sure the contract isn't matched. The problem was the Saints smartly knew we weren't going to match on length so they offer him the same money he was on with an extra 4th year and a clause for the 5th year which would have very easy target.
When it comes to player salaries no one really knows.

I just reckon Kelly was basing his stance on what we pay our top paid players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back