News Brad Crouch decision (ADL chickenshit, decline to match, receive 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

It was reply to post that his public messaging was largely that he was happy to stay - until he wasn't. That to me was about when he was interviewed last week and made a comment that he committed to move to St Kilda, and hoping that Adelaide didn't match the FA bid

By that time he'd signed a playing contract with them and we'd made it clear we didn't want him. Situation had changed massively, doesn't mean he wasn't being truthful the whole way through.

so he would have returned to us

perhaps the club can explain just why it didn’t want it’s best player back on a friendly contract?

because matching a band 3 contract should’ve been a dream come true
Again our club is poor at PR.

A simple message about needing to break up our midfield to improve it. Brad being a player we can move on, with some currency. And him returning is not in line with the rebuild.

But crickets from the club.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If we had matched and then could not trade him out i wonder what many on here would be saying in 3 or 4 years time? If he then was not giving us what people on here expect i can hear the screams just like people are now screaming about Tex ans Sloany contracts that were signed when the terms seemed acceptable to most

the club has been VERY silent on why this was unacceptable to it
Kelly was quite clear on this I thought, they didn't want to give him a 4 or 5 year contract given his injury history and being burnt by longer contracts recently.
Blight has hinted that the drugs stuff meant that we didn't want him too, also said if he was another club he would not have even thought about getting crouch because of it. Given the lack of interest it may not have been the first time either
Whether or not thats a good enough reason, I personally don't think so

Kelly was quite clear on this I thought, they didn't want to give him a 4 or 5 year contract given his injury history and being burnt by longer contracts recently.
Blight has hinted that the drugs stuff meant that we didn't want him too, also said if he was another club he would not have even thought about getting crouch because of it. Given the lack of interest it may not have been the first time either
Can you enlighten me on the AFL's machinations on the player re their drug policy?

So you've got record of Kelly saying that recent long contracts had "burnt us"?

If we had matched and then could not trade him out i wonder what many on here would be saying in 3 or 4 years time? If he then was not giving us what people on here expect i can hear the screams just like people are now screaming about Tex ans Sloany contracts that were signed when the terms seemed acceptable to most
didnt crouch say if we matched he would of walked to the psd?

Just ONCE I would like to see our administration publicly talk about getting ****ed by the VFL. Imagine if a FA arrangement was thwarted at Collingwood because the VFL said it wasn't in the 'spirit' of the rules (but still actually within the rules). Eddie would be ******* s**t up in the media.

But us? Not even a mention. Not even a 'we're disappointed'. Not even an acknowledgment. Silence, and just letting the time to match pass - not even just informing that we wouldn't match. Just weak from everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can cop that we weren't prepared to offer or match the 4 years with a 5th with triggers but this absolute bullshit that we have been trying to get rid of him for 2 years that's being espoused by several on here is just that, AFC apologist bullshit.

FFS both the club and Brad have acknowledged there was a 3 year offer on the table prior to the Covid-19 intervention that saw the AFL's edict that all contract talks had to be put on hold and none were to signed off on. We do know with certainty that Brad's reluctance to sign before the intervention was due to the term of the contract mostly. Then the hamstring issue happened and then the drug issue which appear to me to be the turning point in the Brad/AFC relations.
Personally I think it's almost certainly the drug issue that has changed the club's thinking, nothing else and the character bashing on this board is disgraceful by several claiming to have the "inside" word which is also almost certainly bullshit.
That's not really true though. The club withdrew its offer and told him to "explore free agency". Stupid, yes, but an indicator that things went south a bit sooner than 6 weeks ago.

I share Sanders' view on this. The club's unwillingness to match a contract worth band 3 compo, and the absence of other suitors at or above that price point, is perplexing, yet maybe indicative of further problems.

So you've got record of Kelly saying that recent long contracts had "burnt us"?
I cbf dredging up the 'interview' he did on 5AA last Wednesday tbh, it will just make me pissed off all over again.
But my recollection is that he kept saying over and over again we didn't want to give a 4 or 5 year deal because of the injuries, durability etc and because giving out longer term deals is not where we're at, haven't always worked out in the past, trend is moving back towards shorter deals, words to that effect. I could be wrong and read it here, who knows.

That's not really true though. The club withdrew its offer and told him to "explore free agency". Stupid, yes, but an indicator that things went south a bit sooner than 6 weeks ago.

I share Sanders' view on this. The club's unwillingness to match a contract worth band 3 compo, and the absence of other suitors at or above that price point, is perplexing, yet maybe indicative of further problems.
Blight hinted at this also, mentioned training standards, fitness and drugs

2 week delay? Presume the gossip is that he was off his nut when he slipped. Would have been a longer delay if anything more nefarious. Have heard he enjoys his time when not at the club. Big deal, footballers win games of football, not choirboys. We've the shittest success culture in the league,
Frankly, I can't remember a time Brad was a matchwinner. Elite midfielders (footballers) don't half arse their rehab.

When exactly did the Crows officially tell Brad to "explore free agency"?

I think I've seen it in the media and big footy.

My recollection was this was reported earlier in the year. This article from June quotes Brad talking about the possibility https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ze...s-he-could-walk-in-free-agency-afl-44864/amp/
Any time they asked him on AA since about July you can tell in his answer the Club had not offered him anything, and he felt unwanted.

All parties knew we did not want him. Which leaves us with no hand if we matched.

Us.... "We Match, give us pick 15"

Saints "Nah, take our next pick, 58"

Us "But he is worth pick 15"

Saints "Nah, you guys don't wong him. We don't want use a first rounder on a FA. Brad won't accept your contract and will go to PSD. Take 58"

Us.....s**t.

Given they knew we didn't want him, and the PSD (no other club will poach him, hasn't happened since Nick Stevens), how else does that end up if we match.

Our club assumed he was worth band 1, and pretty much cast him out months ago.....stupid

Last edited:
Any time they asked him on AA since about July you can tell in his answer the Club had not offered him anything, and he felt unwanted.

All parties knew we did not want him. Which leaves us with no hand if we matched.

Us.... "We Match, give us pick 15"

Saints "Nah, take our next pick, 58"

Us "But he is worth pick 15"

Saints "Nah, you guys don't wong him. We don't want use a first rounder on a FA. Brad won't accept your contract and will go to PSD. Take 58"

Us.....sh*t.

Given they knew we didn't want him, and the PSD (no other club will poach him, hasn't happened since Nick Stevens), how else does that end up if we match.

Our club assumed he was worth band 1, and pretty much cast him out months ago.....stupid

Hasn't happened since John McCarthy. Way after Nick Stevens.

Hasn't happened since John McCarthy. Way after Nick Stevens.
True.

But still not in the Free Agency era. Which changed the dynamic.

Verified.
Hmmm, is it just me or does it sound like the AFL has reeeeeeeaalllllly screwed us on Crouch?

Assuming what Fox and MRB37 / Volbeat is saying is true:
- Tried to trade Brad to GC for pick 11-ish last year - AFL said no
- Tried to trade for Dunstan so Saints could offer Crouch more money - AFL said no
- Tried to trade 23 and a much later pick for more worthy compensation - AFL said no

Back door deals happen in other leagues with free agency systems all the time. I can kind of understand why the AFL doesn't want it, but I feel like it's kind of delaying the inevitable, and we've ended up being royally screwed over by the AFL doing so

This might come across as salty, but I'm not sure why the AFL has been so hard on making sure we can actually get fair compensation for our 2019 B&F

Remove this Banner Ad

Back