Free Agency Brad Crouch [joins St Kilda as a RFA for pick 23]

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to get him as FA but if it was a trade then meh
Same here.
I am really hoping that if it does come to a trade, then we back out. I think one of the strongest part of the appeal in this acquisition, is the cost. No picks, absolute winner.

Wouldn’t crouch accept a matched offer? Meaning that the crows won’t be able to force a trade even if they wanted to?
I was just semi-joking that all the Saints need to do is table an offer that nets the Crows band 1 compo and then they don't have to worry about trading.

I'm done with this league if we finish 17th and end up with pick 4 or 5.

The system is so screwed up currently. FA compo and acadamies are far worse than priority picks ever were.

Such a ******* mess the game is in atm.

Last edited:
I was just semi-joking that all the Saints need to do is table an offer that nets the Crows band 1 compo and then they don't have to worry about trading.

Haha ok.

But jokes aside, if crouch would accept a matched offer, and the crows don’t want to pay him that much, then there is zero chance of a trade, even if the compo is band 2.

You make it sound easy. You have to realise that paying him $800k a year can do damage to the rest of their list. He's not Dusty Martin, he's an average midfielder. Suicide if you ask me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s that? an accumulator that doesn’t hurt other teams

We already have Luke Dunstan to do that role

Brad is a good pickup for the Saints, he is a good player, he will be rated higher playing in Victoria. His injuries record is also over played.

I don't support it but anyone that has been around around Football clubs know what players get up to. I doubt the incident the other week alarmed too many clubs in this particular case. He doesn't have off field issues like many others.

Haha ok.

But jokes aside, if crouch would accept a matched offer, and the crows don’t want to pay him that much, then there is zero chance of a trade, even if the compo is band 2.
The same can be said of Jeremy Cameron.

We could see a circumstance where the first two restricted free agents to ever be matched with hope for a trade ended up keeping their players at a much higher price than comfortable.

It would be an interesting story for trade week in ten years.

You make it sound easy. You have to realise that paying him $800k a year can do damage to the rest of their list. He's not Dusty Martin, he's an average midfielder. Suicide if you ask me.
That's why I said I was semi-joking. Of course it's not that simple, and they'll have a dollar value on what pick 15 is worth too so will have to assess the value in paying BCrouch more and his value to their midfield. He won't be offered $800k, but if an extra $50k a year to Brad means they get to keep pick 15 well then it might well be worth it to them.

Brad is a good pickup for the Saints, he is a good player, he will be rated higher playing in Victoria. His injuries record is also over played.

I don't support it but anyone that has been around around Football clubs know what players get up to. I doubt the incident the other week alarmed too many clubs in this particular case. He doesn't have off field issues like many others.

People are dumb if they don’t think a large number of players in the league get on the bags in the off season. Getting on the beers kills their skinfolds, bags don’t. What do you think they are doing in Europe and the US every year? Not sight seeing. These are well off kids in their 20’s, most not well of people in their 20’s dabble. He just got caught.

Last edited:

The issue I have with Crouch is that he was caught holding the bag with Cocaine (even though I firmly believe it was Stengle's coke, not his)

If It was just some weed/hash, I doubt there would be so much of a furore really.

From all reports he has been a solid citizen up until that point, so he does get the benefit of the doubt from me though.

Saints look like a good fit for him though as well.

Hope the Crows get good compo as well.

The same can be said of Jeremy Cameron.

We could see a circumstance where the first two restricted free agents to ever be matched with hope for a trade ended up keeping their players at a much higher price than comfortable.

It would be an interesting story for trade week in ten years.

It seems less certain with Cameron though that it’s just about money.

I think there is no chance that the crows match if he is going to accept it and they don’t want that outcome. In that scenario they can only just accept the compo.

You'd think the Saints are ready for the trade scenario if they don't pony up the $800k a year to trigger band 1.

Agreed, will see what happens but people on here think clubs don't work through all these scenarios or even have off the record discussions with the AFL.
Especially when there is a good relationship between people at the clubs. The Saints and the Crows would know if they need to trade or not. If it is a trade they would of have already discussed options.

It seems less certain with Cameron though that it’s just about money.

I think there is no chance that the crows match if he is going to accept it and they don’t want that outcome. In that scenario they can only just accept the compo.
I think if the paperwork is lodged for any free agent this season then the player is gone for the compensation pick, no matter what it is.

The issue I have with Crouch is that he was caught holding the bag with Cocaine (even though I firmly believe it was Stengle's coke, not his)

If It was just some weed/hash, I doubt there would be so much of a furore really.

From all reports he has been a solid citizen up until that point, so he does get the benefit of the doubt from me though.

Saints look like a good fit for him though as well.

Hope the Crows get good compo as well.
Bit of booger sugar never hurt anyone.

If we’re being that precious then we would wipe out over 75% of the AFL for dabbling.

Not the smartest getting caught I’ll admit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back