News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see crows getting mid first round compo. They’ll change the rules given pick 2 is too much compo and end 1st round is not enough. Hutchy said it today he does not believe he’s worth pick 2. That the mentality of vic media atm.
Yes, B.Crouch isn't worth pick 2 but he is worth band 1 FA compensation if the Saints up the offer to $750K.

Those in the media should really stop focusing on whether Crouch is worth pick 2. It’s about the fact that we finished bottom and need pick 2 based on how sh*t we are.
Yes! Just like Dangerfield was not worth 2 first-round picks, but Kelly was worth 3 first-round picks. I guess the difference was that one was going to a Victorian team and the other was going away from a Victorian team.

That article is unsourced garbage.

It makes claims that it doesn't attempt to back up in any way.

It doesn't even attempt to claim it came from a hidden source.

It is terrible journalism, stating opinion as fact.

I've been arguing against trusting it for some time but so many are taking it as gospel
10 points doesn’t equal 10% of all players in the AFL. It equals 10% of players 25 and up...

At a complete guess, that might be 350 players... so we’re talking roughly top 50 salaries for players 25 and up (350 x 15%), which would also be pretty close to top 50 in the comp you’d think. So that’s top 7% of AFL players approximately

If Brad Crouch is not worth pick #2, then how do you explain Gold Coast getting pick #2 in 2019 for NOTHING?!

Surely, Brad Crouch is worth than NOTHING?!

This is the Brad Crouch to Saints thread, not the AFC rolls over to the AFL again thread.

I think you are the one who is in the wrong place and you should send your post to the club in the form of an email instead of quoting my post.

I think discussing AFC rolling over regarding the compensation for Brad Crouch when he goes to the Saints is pretty topical actually.

This is the Brad Crouch to Saints thread, not the AFC rolls over to the AFL again thread.

I think you are the one who is in the wrong place and you should send your post to the club in the form of an email instead of quoting my post.

So which aspects of Brad to Saints can be discussed?

I think you are missing something. Brad leaving Richmond would get them pick 20. Brad leaving the Crows will get them pick 2. It's the ladder position, not Brad's ability that gets the Crows pick 2.

Should be stickied at the top of every Brad Crouch thread.

So many people are talking about free agency compensation as though it’s a trade and needs to precisely reflect the value of the individual player in question.

I guarantee no-one bats an eyelid if we finished in the top 4 and received band 1 compensation for Crouch equating to pick 15-20, yet it’s within the exact same band of compensation.

If people are frustrated with the outcomes the free agency compensation system produces for clubs at the extreme ends of the ladder, by all means write an angry letter to AFL house. However, the system as it currently stands is what it is.

If Brad Crouch is not worth pick #2, then how do you explain Gold Coast getting pick #2 in 2019 for NOTHING?!

They actually got pick 1, which pushed their original pick 1 back to 2.

They actually got pick 1, which pushed their original pick 1 back to 2.

They should have demanded some compensation then. Imagine having your pick 1 shunted to 2 because a club got given 1 as a priority pick. I guess that's why they got 11 as well. To cover for the loss in value of 1 becoming 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many times do people need to tell you that the Frawley pick was done under a different system?

Why are you clinging to this like a drowning man on a life raft?
He has explained multiple times that his point was if the Frawley free agency signing was done again today that the same result would be reached - that Melbourne receives band one compensation.

Last edited:
That article is unsourced garbage.

It makes claims that it doesn't attempt to back up in any way.

It doesn't even attempt to claim it came from a hidden source.

It is terrible journalism, stating opinion as fact.

I've been arguing against trusting it for some time but so many are taking it as gospel
Don't be ridiculous.

That article is obviously a direct feed from AFL House (and a couple of recently shunned clubs) to a willing media outlet.

There are far too many boring details to think the Age's sports editor is making it up. The whole point of the article is to walk the reader through the facts around free agency compensation, point by point.

It's not click bait. It's the equivalent of explaining a change in tax law.

If Brad Crouch is not worth pick #2, then how do you explain Gold Coast getting NOAH ANDERSON in 2019 for NOTHING?!

FTFY

Don't be ridiculous.

That article is obviously a direct feed from AFL House (and a couple of recently shunned clubs) to a willing media outlet.

There are far too many boring details to think the Age's sports editor is making it up. The whole point of the article is to walk the reader through the facts around free agency compensation, point by point.

It's not click bait. It's the equivalent of explaining a change in tax law.

Yeah sure and it's such a good guide that we've had TWO clubs recently suprised by the compensation pick they were allocated.

It is unsourced garbage.

I think you are missing the point he made though, which is that the AFL reserves the right to change their system without warning should the output be anomalous, regardless of how it's structured. If we had made the GF and Crouch left then absolutely no issue we would be getting Band 1, somewhere around Pick 20. That would not annoy too many clubs or draw excess media attention to the ambiguity in the AFLs FA formula.

It is the fact that the AFL will not want us to have picks 1 and 2 that will mean we end up having this compensation 'adjusted' somehow, or 'just' miss out because of [insert bad luck reason here]. As Crouch is not worth pick 2 on his own, and giving it to us as Band 1 will likely deny North Melbourne their first choice player, that will be the impetus the league use to push this to end of round 1 or Band 2. How blatant they are about it is really the only question right now, but we're not getting Band 1 for Crouch. If we get a pick inside the first round for him that's a good result in this league.
"It is the fact that the AFL will not want us to have picks 1 and 2". Given that one of the AFL policies is equalisation of the competition, I'm not so sure that this is in fact a fact. Puts your whole argument on shaky ground.

FRAWLEY.
WAS.
UNDER.
A.
DIFFERENT.
SYSTEM.
But was it or did the AFL just made it more "transparent"??? Using the current system with adjustment to salary increase from 6 years ago, Frawley would have gotten band 1 compensation which is pick 3...very suspicious and at the same time very interesting.

They should have demanded some compensation then. Imagine having your pick 1 shunted to 2 because a club got given 1 as a priority pick. I guess that's why they got 11 as well. To cover for the loss in value of 1 becoming 2.
I know it’s all the same to them. I just find it odd that the afl decided to pull pick 1 out of their arse as the priority pick when they already had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back