News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Pohokle maybe steak knifes to GWS,
Yeah I'm sure GWS are looking for midfielders that can't get a game in the bottom side given they are stacked with mids that can't get any game time now.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why would the pressure from the Adelaide media be any different whether or not you bid on JUH at pick 1 or not? It’s such a strange argument to make that you think the pressure from the local media will be any less just because you might match a bid on pick 1 and choose your player at 2. It won’t make any difference.
I'm yet to hear a decent argument why you don't select the best player available

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Yeah I'm sure GWS are looking for midfielders that can't get a game in the bottom side given they are stacked with mids that can't get any game time now.
Why He what they need a cheap low cost Back up, it what the Richmond, Geelong and Hawks do, Spend your big bucks on the top 25 players and carry lost cost supporting players,

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
the AFL doesn’t have to like it, but if Brad gets 750k over 4/5 years, denying us band 1 is making a rod for their own back

If that’s not Band1, what is?

the growing unease between clubs and the commission will go beyond what is already thought to be at breaking point

Other clubs be like: I hate the crows, but if that isn’t good enough for Band 1, what hope do we have?

we all get shafted if they do, this is a step too far
I agree, and this is something I've been thinking, too. Brad's not the first RFA where there has been some speculation and a little controversy about the compensation, but the way it has played out in public, with the whole "Crows (AND Saints) will want to know the compo, there's too much uncertainty, we don't even know if $750K will do it" thing being highlighted.

Other clubs aren't going to be like schoolkids and say "LOL Crows", they're going to think they might be next.

Hodgy

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Bull F1
Why North will Bid, straight After, And the Dog will not go into deficit, all it will do is wipe out the pick 12, which they most likely are looking trade for Points,
Because if you have 1 and 2 then it makes total sense to bid on anybody at 1. The points that are needed to match are that much higher that you are a much greater chance that they won’t match or if they do then it’s costing them much more, and you still have a pick that you take Holland’s.
either way it’s in our interest to have both Bulldogs and Sydney thinking that there is a chance that we might bid. If you play poker and everyone knows that you don’t bluff, then you won’t win very often.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Why He what they need a cheap low cost Back up, it what the Richmond, Geelong and Hawks do, Spend your big bucks on the top 25 players and carry lost cost supporting players,
Have you actually looked at their list?

They have midfielders running out of every orifice, Poholke to their midfield roster is a list clogger to put it bluntly.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Didn't say a lot but I wish he would quicken his speech. What I took out of it was that we are pretty much just focusing on the draft but keeping out ears open for a trade if someone of interest becomes available. Also mentioned we were happy to keep Brad if we weren't adequately compensated. Was asked about Treloar but sounds like we hadn't enquired.
Can confirm, good summary. I would also add that - I don't recall his exact words, but basically he said we're going for Hately.

phill5158

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would be the very few that think we are winning the deal if we got Dunstan and Webster in return for Crouch. You just need to look at Dunstan's form 2 years ago and see he is capable of elite level footy and Webster would be solid experience.

On SM-T590 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hodgy

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Bull F1
Have you actually looked at their list?

They have midfielders running out of every orifice, Poholke to their midfield roster is a list clogger to put it bluntly.
Makes taking 4 midfielders (Caldwell, Hately, O’Halloran and Green) in the first round over the last 2 years seem like pretty questionable list management doesn’t it?

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Damian Barret can Go get fcuked..we are just not interested in your biased sh1tty position on Brad crouch

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Damian Barret can Go get fcuked..we are just not interested in your biased sh1tty position on Brad crouch
How many machinations did he offer?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
so nothing really. I'd prefer to put the dogs back into deficit and get a pick earlier next year.

If they won't allow us to trade 2 seconds for their first that will give them a few more points plus the extra points from not bidding at one then we would be idiots not to bid.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was at First then I realize that no team has lost 3 players to Unrestricted/restricted Free agency in the One year, this is a first in the AFL, and one they will be mindful of, Key word would be a Net Loss of 3 Players,
And the one comment people keep putting up about the AFL making a call not in favor of the Crows is this,
"In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result "
But they are Forgetting this comment.
"Compensation in the form of AFL allocated draft picks apply to clubs with a net loss of free agents. This is based on a formula determined by the AFL."
that comment works both ways, and I am hoping will favour the Crows in getting an Honest deal.
Sorry, but people keep bringing up this "net loss" thing, and I don't see the relevance.

All that sentence says is - you will get compensation if you lose more FAs than you gain. Which is really a bit of a "well, duh" thing. If you gain more than you lose, no compensation for you (so don't bring in 3 spuds and send out one superstar, because no net loss!). And if you gain some, but lose more, then maybe the compo you get for the ones you lose will be impacted in some way (there's some herbs and spices formula for that?). It has no relevance to the Crows / Crouch situation.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
We should pick swap, take the bulldogs 1st round pick and then take their player with pick 1 anyway.

Otherwise we could be accused of draft tampering. Only way to clear that accusation is by bidding. Once we've already got the bulldogs pick what are they going to do it about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back