News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why were Bris/Ess happy to lodge the Daniher deal now without seeing the field but us/St K won't lodge the Crouch one?
I hope the hell I am wrong but the level of confidence astounds me. Saints have known for how long that we want band 2 so they don’t have to trade and yet they need more time? Clearly their offer isn’t band 1 yet, will it be that’s the issue. If Ralph is correct and Danniher is on over $800k that’s not helping.

Does anybody honestly believe a club would pay Daniher 2.5million over 3? Come on. I guarantee Daniher will spend a minimum of 5 years at the lions.
???... why does it matter how long daniher end up spending at the lions??...

If Jon Ralph is correct then daniher’s getting around $830k a year for 3 years.. after that the lions can pay him whatever they feel he is worth.. if his body holds up for the next three years and hes kicking plenty of goals they might give him another 2 years at $830k a year..

if his body or his form fails him then they can piss him off after the three years..

im surprised that this isnt the road the saints have take with brad.. i guess the problem is that apparently brad wants contract length over coin... Which totally *s us over because $700-750 over 5 aint as good as $830 over 3 when it comes to the Free Agency compo calculation..

If the Jon Ralph report is correct.. the saints better adjust the deal to $830-850k over 3 with some nice easy targets for brad to meet if he expects more years after that..

I’m still in shock that the Lions would offer a bloke thats only played 15 games in 3 years that much coin.. its a massive risk... still I guess the real threat of having to deal with the dodo if the bombers matched could’ve made them think “damn that, just make it a band 1 sized contract and be done with it”..

If Jon Ralph is correct then daniher’s getting around $830k a year for 3 years.. after that the lions can pay him whatever they feel he is worth.. if his body holds up for the next three years and hes kicking plenty of goals they might give him another 2 years at $830k a year..

if his body or his form fails him then they can piss him off after the three years..

im surprised that this isnt the road the saints have take with brad.. i guess the problem is that apparently brad wants contract length over coin... Which totally fu**s us over because $700-750 over 5 aint as good as $830 over 3 when it comes to the Free Agency compo calculation..

If the Jon Ralph report is correct.. the saints better adjust the deal to $830-850k over 3 with some nice easy targets for brad to meet if he expects more years after that..

I’m still in shock that the Lions would offer a bloke thats only played 15 games in 3 years that much coin.. its a massive risk... still I guess the real threat of having to deal with the dodo if the bombers matched could’ve made them think “damn that, just make it a band 1 sized contract and be done with it”..
I honestly can't see Brisbane paying 2.5m over 3 for a player that has played 15 games over the last 3 years. They aren't stupid. It's also totally irresponsible and no board would sign off on that. I can see them paying 3.3m for 5 years and front loading the first contract as long as both parties trust one another. It also allows them to not give up any draft picks while satisfying Dodoro.

Last edited:
I actually like that we aren't out publicly demanding Pick 2 and playing to the media, trying to put any pressure on the AFL.

Means that we are instead buddying up to the AFL and working with them quietly on this.

Or that we're inept, one of the two.

So, pretty obvious we needed to see how much salary dumps we were taking on to get band 1. Can see us getting Dunstan for a junk pick, hopefully, one of the last trades just so Barrett loses it. Not fussed with getting Duncan if it means we move on other players clogging up the list

It wouldn't have been presented. The 3year deal is presented. There is nothing to stop a player and club agreeing that he will be recontracted at a later date on a certain amount. What does Daniher care? He knows he is helping out his ex club and new club at the same time as getting paid. It's what Brad should be doing especially if he cares about the crows and the saints having their needs met as well as his.

To jump in, under Free Agency, the contract and payment schedule can't be altered. To prevent scenarios like the above. It's the same rule that enforces Buddy's contract with Sydney so that if he retires, it stays on the book the same as lodged back in 2013.

im surprised that this isnt the road the saints have take with brad.. i guess the problem is that apparently brad wants contract length over coin... Which totally fu**s us over because $700-750 over 5 aint as good as $830 over 3 when it comes to the Free Agency compo calculation..

Interestingly it was reported at $600K for 5 years so he has likely taken the 3 years and backing his body to get Essendon the band 1 compensation. B.Crouch will need to do something similar for his 5th year which is doubtful as he was always after a long term deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Lions have been very astute with their drafting and trading in recent times but I really feel they're pushing the envelope this time to be paying big money to Daniher and locking him in for 3 years. Time will tell if they have the know how to keep him on the playing field.
Could be their biggest mistake since Brendon Fevola... hopefully for them this is not the case

I think the Lions have been very astute with their drafting and trading in recent times but I really feel they're pushing the envelope this time to be paying big money to Daniher and locking him in for 3 years. Time will tell if they have the know how to keep him on the playing field.
Think it's a great move imo.

It's only a 3 year deal at 750k and not having to give up any assets.

Already has a big tick next to him getting 4 games in at the end of the season to get some kind of footy under his belt and to show he's not still recovering - at least in a sense where his body isn't letting him play.

Brisbane's forward line really lacks strong KP presence and they've brought in a guy who when he was last fit, kicked 65.39. If it backfires, he's only on that money for 3 seasons.

Good move imo, rather than then die wondering.

I actually like that we aren't out publicly demanding Pick 2 and playing to the media, trying to put any pressure on the AFL.

Means that we are instead buddying up to the AFL and working with them quietly on this.

Or that we're inept, one of the two.

Its the Crows, my money is on inept.

If jon ralph is correct then there is only one thing stopping the following occurring and thats if brad says no or the saints salary cap just wont allow it. they simply just do this;

instead of giving him $800k over 5 (as reported by edmonds, SOS, purple, rendell etc)

they pay him $850 for 3 years and put a really easy trigger in that he has to meet to get two more years at $725 a year... same money different contract structure... but still band 1 compo..

and the trigger may be that he just has to play atleast 15 games in that first 3 years.. If he cant manage that then his career would be all but *in over anyway and he’d be forced into retirement.

the afl dont take into account the 4th and 5th years as they arent “guaranteed”.. they just look at the $850 over 3 years and say yep if its good enough for daniher then its good enough for crouch..

but both crouch and the saints are the ones that need to agree to it and ensure it fits within their salary cap for the next three years..

And this may be where the crows taking dunstan off their hands helps with that..

How else would you spend the cash?

The delay is most likely due to the negotiations around the trade value of Dunstan; St Kilda saying they want our second rounder, we think the Atkins compensation and hope they will take the dogs' second. Saints may have the whip hand here.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back