News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We agree with that point of view, but for what ever reason Williams is held as a more attractive FA than Crouch.

AFL free agency: Scott Camporeale staggered by rich deals based on potential not performance
Scott Camporeale believes AFL clubs have gone mad paying players on potential and not performance and has questioned the lucrative offers made to Zac Williams, Joe Daniher and Brad Crouch in the opening week of free agency.

The Carlton premiership player and former Adelaide senior assistant coach also told ABC Grandstand that giving players long-term deals on guaranteed big money was often a sure-fire way for their performance to drop off.

“Zac Williams for example six years at between $700,000 and $900,000 (to join Carlton from GWS), Zac Williams is not worth that amount of money in my eyes.

“If you’re earning, once again in my opinion, $700,000 or $900,000, then you’re a matchwinner, you’re serving up Dustin Martin or Patrick Dangerfield-type performances week in, week out, I don’t see Zac Williams in that light at the moment.

“If you’re looking at that sort of money and term, look at what Lachie Neale has been able to do for Brisbane and I don’t reckon Lachie Neale would be getting $800,000 or $900,000 at Brisbane.

The longer this goes, the more I am inclined to believe that we walked into this with no pants on, and only realised we could try and force a Band 1 after Dodoro and Brisbane did it with Daniher, and absolutely zero discussions had taken place until yesterday.

This board has gone absolutely mental with all of this "salary dump" and Dunstan to the Crows rubbish. One person keeps saying it, again and again, and now it's almost accepted as fact?

It is absolute rubbish.

Which spuds are Brisbane taking as a "salary dump" as part of the Daniher FA move?

If St Kilda want the player they know the terms. Offer the cash. It's not incumbent on us to "help them out" in any way shape or form.

Apologies that this doesn't relate to your post, only your response which I agree with.

All this Dunstan stuff is absolutely doing my head in.

It's like the $1,000 minimum trade in at Bob Moran. He doesn't want your old bomb, you can get that straight off the price. No need to accept any "trade in's from the Saints unless they are players we want. Stump up or F Off.
Let alone the fact that it simply doesn't work - St. Kilda expose themselves to a massive risk as we can simply walk away from the deal if we don't link the band the AFL hands out to us. No list manager in their right mind does a deal with that element of risk, least of all Gallagher.

It's a stupid idea, and the mental acrobatics people are executing to justify it completely and conveniently ignore basic facts about the entire FA and trade process.

The longer this goes, the more I am inclined to believe that we walked into this with no pants on, and only realised we could try and force a Band 1 after Dodoro and Brisbane did it with Daniher, and absolutely zero discussions had taken place until yesterday.

No, I don't think so, in that all the wrinkles were well discussed in the media days ago. I reckon the delay is just the classic intransigence between parties with incompatible goals. Basically, St Kilda don't want to pay Brouch too much, he is happy with it, but we are not. This is not going to be a win:win:win situation. Brouch will win in any case, but either or both of the Crows and St Kilda will be grinding the teeth after this is finished.

AFL free agency: Scott Camporeale staggered by rich deals based on potential not performance
Scott Camporeale believes AFL clubs have gone mad paying players on potential and not performance and has questioned the lucrative offers made to Zac Williams, Joe Daniher and Brad Crouch in the opening week of free agency.

The Carlton premiership player and former Adelaide senior assistant coach also told ABC Grandstand that giving players long-term deals on guaranteed big money was often a sure-fire way for their performance to drop off.

“Zac Williams for example six years at between $700,000 and $900,000 (to join Carlton from GWS), Zac Williams is not worth that amount of money in my eyes.

“If you’re earning, once again in my opinion, $700,000 or $900,000, then you’re a matchwinner, you’re serving up Dustin Martin or Patrick Dangerfield-type performances week in, week out, I don’t see Zac Williams in that light at the moment.

“If you’re looking at that sort of money and term, look at what Lachie Neale has been able to do for Brisbane and I don’t reckon Lachie Neale would be getting $800,000 or $900,000 at Brisbane.

What is he on??? Martin and Dangerfield are definitely on $1M+ but he stated a huge range of $700-900K to compare them and $900K will be the "match winner" but less so for those on $700K and right now Neale would easily be $900K+ on elite salary.

Last edited:
Except Kelly said before FA period even started its band 2 or we match. We'd be pretty dumb to be saying Band 2 yet not have been anywhere in the ballpark, though, admittedly, its all on St Kilda to get that, so they may do the stupid thing, who knows.

What is he on??? Martin and Dangerfield are definitely on $1M+ but he stated a huge range of $700-900K to compare them and $900K will be the "match winner" but less so for those on $700K and right now Neale would easily be $900K+ on elite salary.
Because that is his range and opinion.
Being a midfield coach he’d like to think he’s seen what’s on the park recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not. The popular suggestion on the Saints' board is that we will not match a Band-2 deal and thay will let us "swap" our compo pick 20 for their 15, with no spud dumps involved! ;)
They are fcuking deluded if they think they will get b crouch AND pick 20 compo for their pick 15. That is worse than anything trade radio have come up with and there has been some shocking garbage written about crouch's worth in a trade by damo and others there

Last edited:
If this is the case and Brad is happy to stay, surely Brad would've just signed with the Crows.
Not if we, the club, were exploring our options. Let’s have a bit of a look about how we are handling this and say Collingwood with their players. We are being very responsible and respectful but also understand the situation for a change.

I find it scary on two counts.

1. He'd know our pay scale and our philosophy
2. That means we clearly don't even get on the same table as other clubs when going for players

It
No, I don't think so, in that all the wrinkles were well discussed in the media days ago. I reckon the delay is just the classic intransigence between parties with incompatible goals. Basically, St Kilda don't want to pay Brouch too much, he is happy with it, but we are not. This is not going to be a win:win:win situation. Brouch will win in any case, but either or both of the Crows and St Kilda will be grinding the teeth after this is finished.
Better bloody well not be band 2 compo grinding teeth..heads had better roll if that happens

2. That means we clearly don't even get on the same table as other clubs when going for players

Campo represents the culture of having cooked 30 year olds as your highest paid players. Both at Carlton and here.

Would Walker, Sloane and Talia all be on $800k at any other club?

It

Better bloody well not be band 2 compo grinding teeth..heads had better roll if that happens
Relax. Kelly firmly stated we will not accept inadequate compensation. I think the waiting is doing all our heads in. It's making for some fabulously entertaining posts, though. Keep it up guys! :thumbsu:

We've been using the spread the salary cap which is the same as Geelong which clearly doesn't works anymore with FA, hence Dangerfield is on $1M+ now at Geelong so now they've clearly scrap this and have even offered Cameron $1M.

Last edited:
got some sensitive mods on the st kilda board. I said we wont accept band 2 and my post got deleted lol.

any one have a link to the 7 and 9 sport news on brad crouch please thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back