Rumour Brad Crouch to the Suns?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sounds fair
I think Crows fans know deep down that they aren't going to get pick 1 or 2 for Crouch and are clutching to the idea of Luko requesting a trade to them but none of those scenarios look likely right now. Adelaide are eyeing off Will Gould in the draft and he is predicted to fall around about pick 10. If we can secure pick 9 from Carlton for Jack Martin then I'd say it's pretty likely Adelaide will settle for that pick in a Crouch trade as they know it's very likely to net them Gould at the draft.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I think Crows fans know deep down that they aren't going to get pick 1 or 2 for Crouch and are clutching to the idea of Luko requesting a trade to them but none of those scenarios look likely right now. Adelaide are eyeing off Will Gould in the draft and he is predicted to fall around about pick 10. If we can secure pick 9 from Carlton for Jack Martin then I'd say it's pretty likely Adelaide will settle for that pick in a Crouch trade as they know it's very likely to net them Gould at the draft.
No we wouldn't.

Why do we want Gould?

Doedee, Kelly, Brown, Butts, Sholl, Hamill are all mid-sized defenders we want to find time for already.

Brad is a 30+ possession midfielder who's finally injury free. The last time he was in 2017 he won the player of the final award.

He WANTS to stay. He doesn't want to leave. Unlike Greenwood and Keath, who also wanted to stay, there isn't an age issue. He's 25 and fits our list profile.

If he leaves next year as a free agent, we'd get a first round compo. That will inevitably be around pick 5 or 6.

It needs to be a fair bit better than that for us to get rid of him, especially after he wins the club B&F tomorrow.

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

If we lose Brouch as a free agent next year we could get the pick after our first pick. Mark my words we will be bottom 4 side. AFC won't settle for a late first rounder this year.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Justin Reid was not convincing at all when discussing whether Brad Crouch would stay with the Crows on Trade Radio this afternoon. He was more than happy to say Matt Crouch "isn't going anywhere" but basically danced around the question when asked about Brad.

The Crows BnF is on tonight so we could have an answer on Brad's future as early as tomorrow morning if he decides to go down the same path as Lachie Neale last year when he won the Doig Medal in early October and the very next day requested a trade to Brisbane.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If we lose Brouch as a free agent next year we could get the pick after our first pick. Mark my words we will be bottom 4 side. AFC won't settle for a late first rounder this year.
What if a free agent wants to join Adelaide next year ?

And Brad Crouch still walks out you get nothing for him :)

TalkingFootyNow1223

Stay Calm... Its Just A Game... SweetFA..
Sep 6, 2019
Spamtopia...
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Justin Reid was not convincing at all when discussing whether Brad Crouch would stay with the Crows on Trade Radio this afternoon. He was more than happy to say Matt Crouch "isn't going anywhere" but basically danced around the question when asked about Brad.

The Crows BnF is on tonight so we could have an answer on Brad's future as early as tomorrow morning if he decides to go down the same path as Lachie Neale last year when he won the Doig Medal in early October and the very next day requested a trade to Brisbane.
I think GC are very much in the race to sign B. Crouch I've said since day dot he will be Qld bound but knew Matt would stay the one of the reasons Brad is leaving is to make his own name rather than being one of the Crouch brothers. Obviously the $$ is a key reason to start shopping around

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
What if a free agent wants to join Adelaide next year ?

And Brad Crouch still walks out you get nothing for him :)

Well for starters no one wants to come to Adelaide so it's highly unlikely. Secondly we then would trade for the player coming in so we still receive full compensation for the loss of Brad, prevent the FA compensation from netting off. A few clubs have already done it already but the players names/trades don't come to mind right now.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Brad Crouch was convinced he is playing for the Crow next year, and Longer.

The whole point of Gold Coast having pick 1 and 2 is so that they can draft Rowell and Anderson, together. Unfortunately, they do not currently hold anything else which would be of sufficient value for Crouch.

Which is why Gold Coast should leverage the (above even) chance of Ben King coming home to Victoria by the end of 2020, and obtain St Kilda's pick 6 to give up for Crouch ;)

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The whole point of Gold Coast having pick 1 and 2 is so that they can draft Rowell and Anderson, together. Unfortunately, they do not currently hold anything else which would be of sufficient value for Crouch.

Which is why Gold Coast should leverage the (above even) chance of Ben King coming home to Victoria by the end of 2020, and obtain St Kilda's pick 6 to give up for Crouch ;)
More chance Max joins Ben on the Gold Coast ;)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Brad Crouch was convinced he is playing for the Crow next year, and Longer.
Is it really that convincing when a player says he is "hoping" to stay? I mean, he just won the best and fairest award. He's not just going to get up in front of the media with the gold jacket on and declare he has no interest in staying. The Crows would want to keep their reigning B&F winner so clearly the uncertainty is coming from him, not the club.

I vividly remember Buddy Franklin doing an interview on AFL 360 in his last year at Hawthorn and Robbo asked him if he wanted to stay at the Hawks. He basically said he was hopeful of staying and that it would work itself out at the end of the season. Steven May said something similar to the media this time last year when walking the streets of Melbourne with his manager and was asked if he'd be playing for the Suns in 2019. May said he thought so... but requested a trade to the Dees a few weeks later. Even Dayne Beams flat out said at Brisbane's best and fairest last year that he had decided to stay and loved the playing group. He requested a trade to the Pies a few weeks later.

You really can't take players for their word these days. Particularly when they use uncertain words like 'hoping to stay'.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Is it really that convincing when a player says he is "hoping" to stay? I mean, he just won the best and fairest award. He's not just going to get up in front of the media with the gold jacket on and declare he has no interest in staying. The Crows would want to keep their reigning B&F winner so clearly the uncertainty is coming from him, not the club.

I vividly remember Buddy Franklin doing an interview on AFL 360 in his last year at Hawthorn and Robbo asked him if he wanted to stay at the Hawks. He basically said he was hopeful of staying and that it would work itself out at the end of the season. Steven May said something similar to the media this time last year when walking the streets of Melbourne with his manager and was asked if he'd be playing for the Suns in 2019. May said he thought so... but requested a trade to the Dees a few weeks later. Even Dayne Beams flat out said at Brisbane's best and fairest last year that he had decided to stay and loved the playing group. He requested a trade to the Pies a few weeks later.

You really can't take players for their word these days. Particularly when they use uncertain words like 'hoping to stay'.
That a quote from the latter should listen to his B&F speech,
Have a serious listen to his other interviews and pick out the slip of the tongue.
suprise the mainstream media has not picked up on it.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That a quote from the latter should listen to his B&F speech,
Have a serious listen to his other interviews and pick out the slip of the tongue.
suprise the mainstream media has not picked up on it.
Let's just get the actual quotes so there's no confusion going on here. The aforementioned video and quote:

Adelaide media employee: "There's still speculation over your future. Are you going to be here next year?"

Brad Crouch: "I'm hoping so, at the moment. I guess I'm just at that stage at the moment where I'm really hoping to. I'm loving Adelaide, but also it's just so tough with the footy club at the moment because we don't have a coach at the moment. They are pretty busy getting a coach and sorting out the review as well. I'm hoping I can get something done soon."

Brad Crouch: "I'd just like to say to the playing group I really appreciate where we're going. I think we're going to be a tough side to beat in the next couple of years and I'm really looking forward to that challenge in the next couple of years. "

Nothing really that emphatic in those speeches and certainly nothing we haven't heard from a departing player before. Again, he's not going to get up in front of the entire playing group and talk about how he's planning on leaving. Let's be realistic here.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Let's just get the actual quotes so there's no confusion going on here. The aforementioned video and quote:

Adelaide media employee: "There's still speculation over your future. Are you going to be here next year?"

Brad Crouch: "I'm hoping so, at the moment. I guess I'm just at that stage at the moment where I'm really hoping to. I'm loving Adelaide, but also it's just so tough with the footy club at the moment because we don't have a coach at the moment. They are pretty busy getting a coach and sorting out the review as well. I'm hoping I can get something done soon."

Brad Crouch: "I'd just like to say to the playing group I really appreciate where we're going. I think we're going to be a tough side to beat in the next couple of years and I'm really looking forward to that challenge in the next couple of years. "

Nothing really that emphatic in those speeches and certainly nothing we haven't heard from a departing player before. Again, he's not going to get up in front of the entire playing group and talk about how he's planning on leaving. Let's be realistic here.

Listen to all his interviews, the one you quote was from the Thursday night, you understand he did appear on several radio and tv outlets the following day.

TalkingFootyNow1223

Stay Calm... Its Just A Game... SweetFA..
Sep 6, 2019
Spamtopia...
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers

Pretty sure he was talking about his GC team mates wasn't he?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

We’ll get 4 next year as FA compo. Maybe 9 and a pick around 30ish?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We’ll get 4 next year as FA compo. Maybe 9 and a pick around 30ish?
I think giving up a top 10 pick + a mid second round pick for Crouch is overs but that's certainly better than some of the suggested trades which have involved pick 1 or 2 (and in some ridiculous cases, both of those picks). What you've suggested is essentially the exact same trade that was done for Patrick Dangerfield when Geelong sent picks 9 and 28 your way in exchange for Danger (I feel pick 50 and Dean Gore cancel each other out in that trade). Crouch now isn't worth the same as Dangerfield back then and I think we can all agree on that.

This is why I think pick 9 alone would be a nice way of both clubs compromising but I'm not sure we're going to get pick 9 from Carlton as they seem to have other ideas with the Papley trade. Anyway, we should find out more tomorrow when the trade period officially opens!

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think the best way to get Crouch is next years first which allows us to get everything we want with the two top draftees and Crouch

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think the best way to get Crouch is next years first which allows us to get everything we want with the two top draftees and Crouch
Do you mean our first round pick next year that's connected to our ladder position or pick 11?

Back