Brad Hardie says he’s sick of players using the ‘going home card’ to secure a trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Fidn going home pretty strange as well. After a year or two perhaps, but after that you are settled. Nobody I knew who went away for stuying came back later then after one year. At time there could be reason like Jon Griffin came home for his sick father or perhaps having more familiy around helps when having kids. But other manage the latter as well...

Some serious turnips in this thread.
It's not the players wanting to leave that's the problem, it's the playing the 'personal reasons' card which allows them to attract sympathy from media outlets and lowers their trade value. If they are homesick they can nominate a state.
You mean turnips who think they have more right to say where a player plys his trade than the player himself, them turnips?

giphy.gif

Brad hardie ..isn't he the bloke who ripped his jumper off and tossed it on the ground during a game, because he was pissed off with the Coach ? Yes i can see how people would care about his views on responsibilities

Wish more clubs took a page From the giants book and held players to their contracts like McCarthy a few years back.

Have no problem with players nominating where they want to go when their out of contract, but signing a long term deal and then 1 year later demanding to go to a particular club is ridiculous.

Loved the giants approach with McCarthy and turning down freos offer as it didn’t satisfy them. If a player is truely homesick they will do what McCarthy did and take time off And move back. The club shouldn’t loose out when the player is contracted and they have to be low balled.

You mean turnips who think they have more right to say where a player plys his trade than the player himself, them turnips?

You can play any level of footy you want anywhere in Australia for free.
However when you play an elite sport and sign a contract with a team then you should see out that contract. Pretty simple.
Only turnips like you think an employee can decide where they work for an employer

Brad hates west coast

Cam Mcarthey plays for Freo...did he not break his contract and spend a year out of the game

Brad hates tnat west coast won the flag .....I suspect he would have kicked the door in when he got home from the game ....he called it on radio

He hates and despises the evil eagles .......he loves the purples .....

This is so ridiculous
Might come from the fact that John Worsfold questioned his credentials when he said something that wasn't so positive about West Coast a few years ago.

I loved Brads reply.

Premiership with South Fremantle when they would have given any VFL team a run for their money, 2 Simpson medals as best on ground in a state game, 2 Tassie medals as best player in a State Championship Series, an All Australian and a lazy Brownlow.

Shut Woosha the * up.

Might come from the fact that John Worsfold questioned his credentials when he said something that wasn't so positive about West Coast a few years ago.

I loved Brads reply.

Premiership with South Fremantle when they would have given any VFL team a run for their money, 2 Simpson medals as best on ground in a state game, 2 Tassie medals as best player in a State Championship Series, an All Australian and a lazy Brownlow.

Shut Woosha the **** up.

Can he still claim those medals as his own if he's sold them all?

I loved Brads reply.

Shut Woosha the **** up.

I remember that exchange, it got pretty heated and Brad took the points in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved Brads reply.

Shut Woosha the **** up.
Worsfold....afl flags aa a captain.

Coached west coast to a flag...

Lol brad hardie...oh please...stop it

I'd rather have worsfold in the trenches than hardie

Some people prefer to live where they grew up, surrounded by friends and family. And that’s fine. Others are happy to pursue their dreams elsewhere; that’s also fine. I have no problem with either. Having lived outside of Australia for around a decade intermittently, I appreciate both angles.

If demand exists for your services, you get to choose your preferred option. Hardie is an idiot.

Footy is a team game

How many Afl or vfl flags did hardie win...donuts

Brad is a flog
You really don't like him.

Did he root your Mum and you got stuck with ginger hair?

Last edited:
Footy is a team game

How many Afl or vfl flags did hardie win...donuts

Brad is a flog

You sound like Woosha, say what you like about Brad Hardie as a commentator but he was a good player, you don't win the accolades he did by being a spud.

Plenty of good players don't win AFL/VFL flags and plenty of ordinary players do so that means nothing when rating a player or person as an individual.

I loved Brads reply.

Shut Woosha the **** up.

And still pretty much unliked and disrespected in footballing circles.

He tries to make his money now by being a shock jock.

Hardie said players knew being drafted interstate was a possibility — and if they weren’t willing to make a long-term move, they needed to reconsider their career choice.

Players nominate for the draft when they’re 17, in high school, and living at home with their parents.

How would they have any idea what it’s like to live interstate?

Hardie said players knew being drafted interstate was a possibility — and if they weren’t willing to make a long-term move, they needed to reconsider their career choice.

On the flip side, recruiters need to be aware of the "go home factor" when making their selections.

If they want to negate it maybe target elite players from the states their clubs are situated in.

No problem with players wanting to go home, BIG problem when they sign a contract for big dollars and want to leave early to go home, particularly if said contract was front loaded. Maybe contracts should have a limited time frame of no more than 3 years?

It's interesting because you never see players play the go home card in American sports and soccer. Maybe Australians just have an entitled opinion on themselves because we are brought up that way?
Posted this in a related thread a couple of days ago:

As an Australian who has never lived overseas, I find it intriguing how Americans seem to move around the nation much more frequently. You hear it in movies, TV and ads all the time.

Might have something to do with the fact that our capitals are centralised (they absolutely dwarf the 'cities' around them) and are far from each other. Moving from Sydney to Melbourne is a bigger deal than moving from your US city of 1 million to the neighbouring city of 1 million which is just a one-hour drive away.

This year a survey showed that Americans are moving for work at record-low rates but around 10-13% have moved interstate in the past year. That's still a lot - one in ten people on the street have moved their whole lives to another state recently.

In Australia, every major city has its own uni and the capitals have several. There is no pressure to go to a particular uni that is much higher-ranked than others. Also our house prices and rents are so much dearer than the US so Australian young people are increasingly living with their parents long after turning 18.

Essentially, among Australian young people the cultural norm is to stay put in your home state.

You sound like Woosha, say what you like about Brad Hardie as a commentator but he was a good player, you don't win the accolades he did by being a spud.

Plenty of good players don't win AFL/VFL flags and plenty of ordinary players do so that means nothing when rating a player or person as an individual.

Hardie was a great player but dead set Freo flog here.

His role is the media is to be a sensationalist ...get a headline

Remove this Banner Ad

Back