Recommitted Brad Hill [OOC 2024] - reportedly open to a trade, links to North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol unhappy? He’s not demanding a trade, he’s open to one.

It’s all purely hypothetical but considering the link came out a week or so before North knew Clarkson was coming it’s a weird career move to flirt with moving to a consecutive spoon side from a team that just missed finals (if true).

I believe the Saints will have to pay some of Hill's salary for North to take him. How much will depend on what North are prepared to give up in the trade?

I don’t understand why North would be interested in Hill.

'tHeY hAvE cAp SpaCe'

It would be a nothing move from North. Hill is 30 next year and not even that good. Getting him for pick 30 when he's worth pick 20 or paying him $600k a year instead of $900k still doesn't make it worthwhile. The only way it makes sense is if North pay his full contract and are compensated with draft assets by St Kilda. I'm not sure the AFL is even ready for players to be traded as negative assets.

Trading Hill and paying some of his salary makes sense for the Saints if he goes to a club that could use him in the next 2-3 years and will give a decent pick in return, similar to Treloar going to the Dogs.

Hill is a wonderful player to watch, when he is on. But for mine, he has been too inconsistent at the Saints & he would be hard pressed to tackle a punching bag or beanbag for that matter, & not come off 2nd best. If he just had a bit of Daniel Kerr about him.
If we could offload him to North & get someone like Lachie Whitfield, it could be a win-win scenario.

Just polled equal 7th in last nights BnF (equal 5th last year). Sure, he has his deficiencies but he still makes us a better team. I will be very disappointed if the club lets him go for a late pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got to wonder why North fans (especially their trade board) are so concerned about not paying his full contract should he happen to go there. Who are North paying big money to that they have trouble with cap space at the moment?

I've got to wonder why North fans (especially their trade board) are so concerned about not paying his full contract should he happen to go there. Who are North paying big money to that they have trouble with cap space at the moment?
What are you talking about? The overwhelming sentiment on the north board is that if we take Hill we'll have plenty of space for his contract. Cap space isn't an issue for us, but you don't take bad contracts for no reason.

The fact that the Saints gave him such a ridiculous deal means he now has negative trade value if we take on his entire 900k though. Hence the laughs when saints fans think he's worth pick 19.

Just polled equal 7th in last nights BnF (equal 5th last year). Sure, he has his deficiencies but he still makes us a better team. I will be very disappointed if the club lets him go for a late pick
Hill is grossly over paid unfortunately. To get any sort of return on him you’d have to pay a third of his contract imo.

Hill is grossly over paid unfortunately. To get any sort of return on him you’d have to pay a third of his contract imo.

Exactly. We should either pay part of his contract and get a decentish pick back OR just keep him.
Trading him for a late pick achieves nothing aside from giving us more salary cap space that we have no need for.

Or he's just correctly identified that a lack of senior players and losing by ten goals every week is actually not that great for player development.
You bring in cheap senior players in terms of picks and salary. Free agents are better.

Those senior players need to protect the kids and have some leadership ie Hodge at the Lions.

B Hill won’t be cheap, won’t protect the kids and shows little leadership.

I really hope we don’t get brad hill but afl supporters have no real understanding of salary cap and how you can work it. Having Hill on 900k for 2 years will restrict the saints or kangas from structuring deals to suit you in future to give the best chance on attracting talent. For example thank god the kangas didn’t give in to Ben browns manager demands of $800k for 5 years. That would be disastrous going forward in managing and front loading young talent. The saints aren’t going to win it in brad hills career so if they could drop his salary it would help them going forward. I have made it plain on this and the kangas board I think if north got brad hill for pick 100 it would be a massive mistake.

I hate the move but if it happens it must be heavily weighed in our favour. We'd be digging St Kilda out of one of the worst contracts of the last decade.
Clarko is desperate to get mature players in.

I doubt it will be as heavily weighed in North favour as some would like to hope.

Probably a 2nd round pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back