Traded Brad Hill [traded with future 3rd to St Kilda for Acres, #10, #58, future 2nd and 4th]

Who won this trade?

• Fremantle

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Damian Barrett is one of the greatest reporters the AFL has ever seen in the history of the game. Damian Barrett's undeniable journalistic integrity has helped break numerous news stories around the country. Barrett’s talent and success is undeniable, further supported by the many journalistic awards he has received during his career. Barrett has twice won the Alf Brown Trophy, the most prestigious award in Australian football media, as well as a Quill award and has been a Walkley finalist on multiple occasions.

Damian is an accomplished and highly sought after MC and guest panelist, and is highly respected on BigFooty.
This is my favourite post of yours

$900K a season? St Kilda better prepare their draft picks because that type of offer means 2 first rounders, which I think is overs.

No that type of offer (and it may be less) just is the reality that we have to pay $$$$ overs at present to get someone to nominate us.

It is not a reflection on his trade value. No way would it be two first rounders.

For example if he say was going to Richmond, then Brad would have to take unders. Salary is say 3-400 K less. Is his trade value any different? = No.

Last edited:

$900k PA is overs, but let's not forget that the salary caps went up by 20% a year or two ago and are going up again next year, so $900k PA is equivalent to less than $750K PA 2 or 3 years ago.
Now you and I have had our verbal poo fights in the main forum. So lets be honest about this.

If you were a list manager or board member at the saints, How much would you offer Brad Hill to play for your mob?

I am assuming Brad Hill at freo is on $500-$650,000 a year.

$10,000 a week is $520,000 a year.

$12,500 a week is $650,000 a year.

$15,000 a week is $780,000 a year.

Wingard and Neale left Port and Freo respectively last year for a better deal. Had both stayed at their clubs this season, both would of been free agents and both would of been taken for much less for what they were traded for last season.
How else do you think we should reach the minimum salary cap requirements, after years of front-ending contracts, and with us possibly losing a couple of mil worth of contracts if Steven leaves and the likes of Roberton, McCartin and Armitage retire?

It's either overpay someone like Hill, who will immediately improve our team, or vastly overpay our current list.
and this is where it gets interesting here too. Current teams like Geelong and Collingwood would be trying to keep all their main players under the cap this year.

those 2 teams would of found it harder keeping all their core players under the cap in 2010 and 2011 as the cap was smaller back then.

I look at the saints and I think who would be on the big cash over there now? As you posted, Saints are struggling to reach that minimum 95% of the cap.

I look at Port Adelaide for example and Look at the players that would be on some significant coin. Travis Boak, Robbie Gray, Justin Westoff, Charlie Dixon and Ollie wines would easily be on around $500-$700,000 a year, depending on which Port Player we are talking about.

No that type of offer (and it may be less) just is the reality that we have to pay $$$$ overs at present to get someone to nominate us.

It is not a reflection on his trade value. No way would it be two first rounders.

For example if he say was going to Richmond, then Brad would have to take unders. Salary is say 3-400 K less. Is his trade value any different? = No.
Cognitive dissonance.. ever heard of it?

So what your saying you’ve got no problem paying 900000 a year for just better than average players?/that your club doesn’t really rate brad hill and what he’d bring to your team ...it’s “just to get them in the door” So to speak ?

Ooooooooookkkkkkaaaay

So what your saying you’ve got no problem paying 900000 a year for just better than average players?/that your club doesn’t really rate brad hill and what he’d bring to your team ...it’s “just to get them in the door” So to speak ?

Ooooooooookkkkkkaaaay
You've done an excellent job of putting words in his mouth, so you could get that "Ooooooooookkkkkkaaaay" in there. Well done. :thumbsu:

Interesting all these suggestions that Hill has been the best in the comp this year on the wing.

Billings tops him in so many statistical categories.

Some of the biggest discrepancies. Both from 21 games:

Goals 13 to 6
Marks 130 to 78
Contested marks 13 to 2
Contested possessions 156 to 112

More:
Disposals
Goals
Marks
Contested marks
Contested possessions
Clearances
Tackles
Disposal efficiency
Rebound 50's
Intercepts
Tackles inside 50
SuperCoach score
AFL Fantasy score

Less:
Clangers
Turnovers

Huge indicators of a good afl player there. Supercoach & Fantasy score.. hahaha.

Why wouldn’t you see the other side of it? Could have Billings - a good young player on the verge of hitting peak on one wing, and an already elite wingman in his peak on the other...
Isn’t that a good thing? Saints forwards would be frothing over getting hill.

Ooooooooookkkkkkaaaay

Yes I have, but there was nothing in my post that would make that term applicable.

Did you actually read and understand what I wrote? I never said it is was “just to get them in the door” , but the contract that St Kilda would need to offer Hill is more than a Club like Richmond would need offer. That is the reality. I did not state that we would rate him as any less of a player.

But equally he is not worth two first rounders at the level that Saints are likely to have this year and next. Hill is good, but he is not worth that price.

If Hill moves this year it will be for a first rounder in the middle third. Other things may be included to level things out, but it will not be another first rounder.

If Freo are not happy with that, whether it be the Saints or a another club, then he will stay a Freo player in 2020.

PS The figure may not be $900K, but it is obviously significant offer. Don't rule out a manager leaking to try and pump things along.

$900K a season? St Kilda better prepare their draft picks because that type of offer means 2 first rounders, which I think is overs.
How does a $$$ offer equal draft picks in return. We have extra cap space that we have to use, if he only wanted to go back to Hawthorn and the offered him $600k does that mean they get to pay a less amount of draft picks? Players salary and Players value are not the same and are not equal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does a $$$ offer equal draft picks in return. We have extra cap space that we have to use, if he only wanted to go back to Hawthorn and the offered him $600k does that mean they get to pay a less amount of draft picks? Players salary and Players value are not the same and are not equal.
Its pretty simple

You don't offer a player 900k unless they are elite and you rate them, if you offer 900k then you rate them pretty highly, the higher you rate them, the more you are willing to pay for them.

Its pretty simple

You don't offer a player 900k unless they are elite and you rate them, if you offer 900k then you rate them pretty highly, the higher you rate them, the more you are willing to pay for them.
Oh you are a small club like ours and it takes more than market rate to offer for him, but that shouldnt mean we have to offer more draft picks than any other club would. We also have to make our 95% of salary, who is on big money at our club? I doubt we have 3 players over 600k. We have to spend it

$900k they’re having an laugh surely?
Very good player but bordering on highest earner in the team?
Reports from people in the know at the Saints is that it's around 800k.

Either way, it's the reality of where we are at unfortunately. We are a small club that haven't played finals for a long time, if we are any chance of landing anyone we need to pay overs.

Luckily for us we have been paying only 95% of the cap for a number of years and we've actually had to front load contracts to get to that point.

and we've actually had to front load contracts to get to that point.
Be careful with that, your players might decide to jump ship to a higher pay somewhere else once the front loading finishes.

But at least you'll land a couple of first rounders for them.

Back