Traded Brad Hill [traded with future 3rd to St Kilda for Acres, #10, #58, future 2nd and 4th]

Who won this trade?

• Fremantle

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Draftees are 8 years younger than Hill. There is no way I’d want my club to give up pick 6.
Well in West Coast's position, they need to be using an early pick to find some quality young mids, or else a serious gap could emerge in future. In the case of sides like Saints and Melbourne, they have drafted enough promising youth at the top end of the draft, meaning it's far easier to justify trading out an early pick for a gun. In fact, I'd argue these two sides would be better off trading their first pick for someone like Hill, since he would complement the already-young sides they have, instead of having to wait a few years before the player starts to hit their potential

There are also some Freo supporters that don't want to let him go for any less than 2 high first rounders...
There is a couple that have said that, but I think they'll be less melty with the end result than those who think he's only worth a second

There are also some Freo supporters that don't want to let him go for any less than 2 high first rounders...
Haven forbid we rate our own player, Dylan Shiel was the same age last year and went for 2 firsts with a second coming back

Thats probably par for Brad Hill too.

The bloke is elite and theres a reason so many clubs are after his signature.

This is NOT the Hawthorn version of Brad Hill, I have to keep restating that until people realise.

I'm predicting melts for this trade. Definitely from the receiving club and a good chance many Freo fans won't be satisfied either.
Yeah 100% agree, It'll be like the Neale trade

Freo fans not happy with what we got but closer to what we expected, further away from what the Brisbane fans wanted to give up.

Brisbane fans would be feeling like they won the trade now, Saints fans likely to feel the same way next season when he is tearing it up for their club.

Haven forbid we rate our own player, Dylan Shiel was the same age last year and went for 2 firsts with a second coming back

Thats probably par for Brad Hill too.

The bloke is elite and theres a reason so many clubs are after his signature.

This is NOT the Hawthorn version of Brad Hill, I have to keep restating that until people realise.
Go through the thread and you will see that I have said he's a much better player than he was at Hawthorn on numerous occasions.

I've also said from the start though, you can't expect to get the same for an outside player than you can for one that is able to win his own footy.

I think the deal will be based around one first round pick, not 2.

Yeah 100% agree, It'll be like the Neale trade

Freo fans not happy with what we got but closer to what we expected, further away from what the Brisbane fans wanted to give up.

Brisbane fans would be feeling like they won the trade now, Saints fans likely to feel the same way next season when he is tearing it up for their club.

Trades can fluctuate all the time.

A couple of years ago, most experts thought the Crows 'fleeced' Brisbane on pick 12 for Charlie Cameron, now that trade looks like significant unders for an AA small forward in CC, although Adelaide drafted a gun in Darcy Fogarty, so it probably doesn't sting as much.

Trades can fluctuate all the time.

A couple of years ago, most experts thought the Crows 'fleeced' Brisbane on pick 12 for Charlie Cameron, now that trade looks like significant unders for an AA small forward in CC, although Adelaide drafted a gun in Darcy Fogarty, so it probably doesn't sting as much.
I agree, Saints fans won't be so disappointed when they have Hill playing for them, even though they are giving up more than they want now, they will change their opinion once they realise how good he actually is.

The FinalSiren.com data has Brad at about 15% better during his time at Freo compared to Hawthorn. That and the fact that he is in his prime at 26 and similar vein to other mids is a good bet he will continue that upper form through until he is past 30 (5 seasons), and some have tried to remind everyone, two years on the contract outstanding.

Trade is simple; he is worth this to us, he is worth that to you, he is contracted for two years, if you want him now for your important purpose you will need to offer the same plus. If you want him this is our requirement....imop pick 7-8 plus 2020 3rd or 4th

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The FinalSiren.com data has Brad an about 15% better during his time at Freo compared to Hawthorn. That and the fact that he is in his prime at 26 and similar vein to other mids is a good bet he will continue that upper form through until he is past 30 (5 seasons), and some have tried to remind everyone, two years on the contract outstanding.

Trade is simple; he is worth this to us, he is worth that to you, he is contracted for two years, if you want him now for your important purpose you will need to offer the same plus. If you want him this is our requirement....imop pick 7-8 plus 2020 3rd or 4th
That's a weak deal. At a minimum I'd be asking for 2019 first and either 2019/20 second round

That's a weak deal. At a minimum I'd be asking for 2019 first and either 2019/20 second round

yes probably closer to the mark....I look at it in terms of usable points for us in 2019 and 20 and setting up picks for our purpose. In that scenario Hill is worth 1600 to 2000 pts in however way that would be delivered. We would need that to have a reasonable opportunity to cover the loss of his talent and impact to the club. One thing about Weller, Neale and Hill that many forget about I suggest that they are all quality people in example as well as players.
Freo supporters do need to talk it up.

I see a lot of teams who’s connection into the forward 50 is holding them back.

This draft is a lot weaker than last year.

I expect Gold Suns to get a priority pick.

The two top picks this year would have gone between 5-10 last year.

Pick 3 this year would be like pick 10 last year.

Pick 7 would be equal to pick 13/14 last year.

He isn’t worth pick 6.

But that’s irrelevant, I hope Freo play hardball & think they should, leave the ball in St Kilda’s court pick 6 or nothing.

Similar to what Carlton did with Gibbs year 1, question for Freo is how will Hill respond to this, Carlton was lucky with Gibbs & he was professional and gave Carlton everything, leading to Adelaide paying way too much in year 2.

Do it Freo, stand up for yourself

He isn’t worth pick 6.

But that’s irrelevant, I hope Freo play hardball & think they should, leave the ball in St Kilda’s court pick 6 or nothing.

Similar to what Carlton did with Gibbs year 1, question for Freo is how will Hill respond to this, Carlton was lucky with Gibbs & he was professional and gave Carlton everything, leading to Adelaide paying way too much in year 2.

Do it Freo, stand up for yourself
We stood up with Neale and Weller.

They both had 2 years left on their contract.

Demons lack on the outside and the Saints lack skill. B Hill does both.

If teams want Hill they need to pay overs.

This draft is below average.

Plus, we can wait another year and get into the ears of recruits saying we will have cap space and assets to get the job done.

Also, B Hills partner may get a bit less homesick. (Big issues for them, because Hill was homesick when in Melbourne).

We stood up with Neale and Weller.

They both had 2 years left on their contract.

Demons lack on the outside and the Saints lack skill. B Hill does both.

If teams want Hill they need to pay overs.

This draft is below average.

Plus, we can wait another year and get into the ears of recruits saying we will have cap space and assets to get the job done.

Also, B Hills partner may get a bit less homesick. (Big issues for them, because Hill was homesick when in Melbourne).
Then if I was a Freo supporter and they caved I’d be annoyed. I live in WA so unfortunately for my sanity I know way to much about Freo and the Eagles.

Bell last year was good in parts, I thought some of his comments in the first few days of trade where silly and highlighted his inexperience, but after trade week it was impressive what he got done.

I truly believe that St Kilda & Melbourne supporters are kidding themselves if they think they can somehow get a 10-16 pick and Freo will do it.

Then if I was a Freo supporter and they caved I’d be annoyed. I live in WA so unfortunately for my sanity I know way to much about Freo and the Eagles.

Bell last year was good in parts, I thought some of his comments in the first few days of trade where silly and highlighted his inexperience, but after trade week it was impressive what he got done.

I truly believe that St Kilda & Melbourne supporters are kidding themselves if they think they can somehow get a 10-16 pick and Freo will do it.
Melbourne will be under the pump next year to make finals.

Their coaching and recruiting team will lose their heads if they don’t get 12 plus wins.

Melbourne two many major issues is outside run and converting inside 50.

B Hill helps with both.

If they want him, they need to pay overs in draft picks or Fremantle needs to get quality player or players into the club.

Happy for the club to wait another year.

Melbourne will be under the pump next year to make finals.

Their coaching and recruiting team will lose their heads if they don’t get 12 plus wins.

Melbourne two many major issues is outside run and converting inside 50.

B Hill helps with both.

If they want him, they need to pay overs in draft picks or Fremantle needs to get quality player or players into the club.

Happy for the club to wait another year.
Melbourne may be under the pump to make the 8 next year, but Hill or no Hill it’s not happening, 2018 was the outlier, not 2019, this is where they are at

Melbourne may be under the pump to make the 8 next year, but Hill or no Hill it’s not happening, 2018 was the outlier, not 2019, this is where they are at
But do they think that?

Most teams overrate their lists until they hit a wall or fall off the cliff.

Pressure will come on.

Melbourne list on paper looks good.

Is 2018 or 2019 the outlier? We will see in 2020.

All I know if Melbourne first half of the season goes pear shaped, Goodwin is out the door.

True, that’s why Fremantle supporters have been completely over the top this year about Ross Lyon, he has overachieved
Yes and no.

We flood the defensive 50 with 16 players with 2 players out.

It prevents other teams from getting a run on but at the same the ball keeps coming back in until their is a goal. Might take 10 minutes to happen.

For me, that makes you middle of the table and won’t win flag.

Also, our effort is A plus but our skills are D grade. Again, makes you competitive but it won’t win a flag.

Yes and no.

We flood the defensive 50 with 16 players with 2 players out.

It prevents other teams from getting a run on but at the same the ball keeps coming back in until their is a goal. Might take 10 minutes to happen.

For me, that makes you middle of the table and won’t win flag.

Also, our effort is A plus but our skills are D grade. Again, makes you competitive but it won’t win a flag.
You won’t win a flag because you don’t have the cattle
Your skills are bad, because you don’t have the cattle.

Ross has done well to get you the wins you’ve got, the Fremantle supporters and the WA media, just completely overrated every player in a Freo jumper. Just like the WA media does with WCE. It’s always been the way the in WA

Back