Brad Hill: Overweight, slow and a tad soft

Remove this Banner Ad

So what if hes not pressuring or tackling when hes strength is a damaging wingmen!

Simpletons on these forums need to start valuing players strengths as opposed to their weaknesses.

It takes all types to form a winning premiership side.

Stats don't tell the full story for anyone because they are down across the board but Hill didn't look damaging most of the time I saw him play this year. When he was at the Dockers (and Hawthorn even though he was younger and not a key player) you didn't want him getting a lot of the ball because of his pace and good kicking skills.

Last year he was #2 for disposals, #1 for uncontested possessions, #1 for kicks, #1 for inside 50s, #1 for bounces at Freo.
This year he was #5 for disposals, #1 for uncontested possessions, #2 for kicks, #5 for inside 50s, #1 for bounces at St Kilda.

Not really worlds apart except you'd like to see him as first or second for inside 50s.

In terms of metres gained he dropped from to #9 to #92. I don't buy the 'new club adapting to game plan' type stuff. He's an outside player. Just put him on the wing and give him the ball.

Also have to consider he wasnt getting kicked to. He isnt meant to get his own ball. He moves quickly to space so he can receive and then deliver to the leading forwards.

Against the Dogs the Saints moved the ball brilliantly. Against the Tigers they were simply bloody awful.

So many times he was running to space and being ignored. Not sure how much thsat is his fault.

Last edited:
Hill did not have the best of years however he was still good in some games like vs GWS, vs the dogs in finals, Richmond in round 5, the loss vs Melbourne and vs Hawthorn.

Bloke will be better next season and will be deadly in games at Docklands and at the MCG

Hill did not have the best of years however he was still good in some games like vs GWS, vs the dogs in finals, Richmond in round 5, the loss vs Melbourne and vs Hawthorn.

Bloke will be better next season and will be deadly in games at Docklands and at the MCG
He is an outside player.

Team need to look for him.

Weird thread, played one of his best games for us tonight.

Thread stinks of a Hawthorn supporter pissed off that he left them for a premiership contender.
You were not a premiership contender this season.

Also Richmond on the weekend showed the difference between the saints and the better sides such as richmond.

You were not a premiership contender this season.

Also Richmond on the weekend showed the difference between the saints and the better sides such as richmond.

We weren't far off being a premiership contender and Richmond were pretty much at full strength while we were missing 4 of our best 22 in Gresham, Ryder, Carlisle and Long. Add those players in, take our chances in front of goal, receive some fair umpiring and we could have beaten them like we did earlier in the year.

We weren't far off being a premiership contender and Richmond were pretty much at full strength while we were missing 4 of our best 22 in Gresham, Ryder, Carlisle and Long. Add those players in, take our chances in front of goal, receive some fair umpiring and we could have beaten them like we did earlier in the year.
So basically if everything went your way .. you “could’ve “ won..
Gotcha👍

So basically if everything went your way .. you “could’ve “ won..
Gotcha👍

We didn't need everything to go our way, just not have everything go Richmond's way, a more level playing field and we could've won.

We also beat Port at their home ground and nearly beat Brisbane at their home ground during the H&A season which shows that we aren't far off the top 4 teams.

And the Umpires. Dont forget the umpires. Had the umpires gave the saints a good run of free kicks, the saints might have won. lol
I know you’re trolling Plugger, but I think most would agree that the umps blatantly favoured Richmond

Kornes actually made a good point saying that Hill suffered more than anyone from the short quarters because his strength is endurance, particularly towards the end of games when he was one of the few that could still be buzzing around hitting up targets in Q4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kornes actually made a good point saying that Hill suffered more than anyone from the short quarters because his strength is endurance, particularly towards the end of games when he was one of the few that could still be buzzing around hitting up targets in Q4

Hill is super fit, just not providing enough return from his athletic efforts.
I’d to see him improve next season as he can be an valuable asset for the Saints and he’s great to watch.

Hill is super fit, just not providing enough return from his athletic efforts.
I’d to see him improve next season as he can be an valuable asset for the Saints and he’s great to watch.
When Brad Hill left Freo and joined the Saints, at 1st I was gutted as we lost Lachie neale the previous year.

Sort of happy what freo got in the Brad Hill trade in the end.

But Hill is only 27. So He has 3 good prime years left. After that he turns 30 and when most players decline. He can still be servicable at 30-32 years old though.

When Brad Hill left Freo and joined the Saints, at 1st I was gutted as we lost Lachie neale the previous year.

Sort of happy what freo got in the Brad Hill trade in the end.

But Hill is only 27. So He has 3 good prime years left. After that he turns 30 and when most players decline. He can still be servicable at 30-32 years old though.
Someone as fit as Hill could still be much better than "serviceable" at 30-32yo.

Someone as fit as Hill could still be much better than "serviceable" at 30-32yo.
Probably. But I cant think of too many outside mids or half back or half forward flankers that have played until they are 35 or 36.

I look at his Brother stephen hill. From his deut year in 2009 until 2016, he played at leas 20 games a year. from 2017 onwards, he has played no more than 18 games a year.

Probably. But I cant think of too many outside mids or half back or half forward flankers that have played until they are 35 or 36.

I look at his Brother stephen hill. From his deut year in 2009 until 2016, he played at leas 20 games a year. from 2017 onwards, he has played no more than 18 games a year.
Well there's a big difference between 35/36 and 30-32!

A couple of very recent examples that come immediately to mind who were playing high quality footy past 32yo are Joey Montagna and Kade Simpson.

Going back, Craig Bradley was a running machine and got 10 Brownlow votes in his 2nd last season, at 37yo/about to turn 38.

A down year for sure and most StKilda supporters would be a little upset we didn't get more from him this season

a couple of things either way for me.

our style of run and gun, not sure it suits Hill the best, as in I think both Hill and the team need more time to gel in that transition.
the team underutilized him, he was in the right spots but we didn't get the ball to him.
I think another pre-season will do him and the team wonders, new coach, lots of new players, getting a winger going not high on the priority list
and Hill needs to go when it's his turn, outside player yada yada, but when it's your turn to hit some bodies, Hill doesn't.

would we undo the trade, no way, paying big bucks to Hill and Hanners helps you get Ryder and Howard and Jones.

Well there's a big difference between 35/36 and 30-32!

A couple of very recent examples that come immediately to mind who were playing high quality footy past 32yo are Joey Montagna and Kade Simpson.

Going back, Craig Bradley was a running machine and got 10 Brownlow votes in his 2nd last season, at 37yo/about to turn 38.
You can also throw robert harvey in there too... But I get your point.

Lets be realistic here. Brad Hill is a very good player, a very good outside player to be exact. He isnt a type of bloke to build a team around. But If you have the right type of players to feed him, he can be a very dangerous player.

Buts lets be Honest here, He isnt going to get a brownlow medal in his career isnt he? I can see him get an All Australian selection or 2.

An AFL players prime years is always around the 24-30 year old range. At 27, Brad Hill is in his Prime years now. He will survive and serve out his 5-6 years at the saints.

I did a comparison (now lost and can't be bothered doing it again) of Hill's stats at home (Optus/MCG) which playing for Freo and the Hawks respectively vs away. The key thing to note here is that Optus and the MCG are the 2 biggest home grounds in the league which give Hill space to use his run and collect more of the ball and gain meterage. Hill's numbers are considerably better at these 2 grounds than anywhere else.

For this reason i found it a confusing move from the saints considering Hill's best athletic talents wouldn't be best utilised at Docklands.
More specifically this year, Hill has been playing on smaller boutique grounds more often in sometimes low possession dewy games.
Also as observed above, his game style has been hurt by the shorter quarters.

He will improve next year but not to the level he has at Freo and the Hawks imo.

PS. He's always been as outside as it gets and i don't think he's got any 'softer', just looks useless when he's not getting the ball.
Disposal averages on ground size 2014-2019 (2020 not included due to shortened quarters):
Grounds >129m2 (MCG, Perth Stad, Subi): 22.7
Grounds <129m2 (Docklands, AO, Kardinia): 20.2
Which makes a difference of 11%

Ground outliers where 8 or more games were played
Smallest (docklands/AO): 19.6 disposals
York Park (largest): 24.9 disposals
Which makes a difference of 21%

Also have to consider he wasnt getting kicked to. He isnt meant to get his own ball. He moves quickly to space so he can receive and then deliver to the leading forwards.

Against the Dogs the Saints moved the ball brilliantly. Against the Tigers they were simply bloody awful.

So many times he was running to space and being ignored. Not sure how much thsat is his fault.
Should you be paying 900k for a player that relies on being the ball to be effective?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back