Brad Hill: Overweight, slow and a tad soft

Remove this Banner Ad

Outside accumulators are useless with new rules. Gaff is the same. It's about speed and lead mark now
Ed Landgon is bucking that trend

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I stand to be corrected, but I’m pretty sure he was given a 5 years deal at $750-800k per year...that was despite being absolutely cooked..the worst part is St Kilda even knew, it wasn’t a secret and they still gave him that deal...

Just let this sink in- Hanners and Hill are on similar $$ to the likes of Bont, Dangerfield, Tom Mitchell, jack macrae, Travis Boak, Patrick Cripps, Scott Pendlebury, lachie Neale...
yeah hannebery is on $800,000 a year on a 5 year deal.

That amount of cash you would leave for an elite inside mid or a gun forward or a KPF ruck that kicks 50 goals a season.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If that list manager is still at the club, Nathan Vardy had a great game today*, could be a big boost to your ruck stocks. Premiership ruckman, can rest forward, give him a nice big contract so we get a first rounder comp pick to really load up for your premiership tilt.

*in the WAFL

Only thing is he can't kick. Turnover merchant.
He is getting much better but his good traits cover that issue somewhat

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Look the Saints’ aggressive trading got them back into the eight which they desperately needed after a decade, but this dude could seriously burn them.

Close to $2m of their cap going into Hill and Hannebery. Less than ideal.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Look the Saints’ aggressive trading got them back into the eight which they desperately needed after a decade, but this dude could seriously burn them.

again...... I partly blame the AFL and AFLPA.

The players want 💰 money.... Fair enough. But the salary cap minimum is 95 percent.

Drop that minimum down to 90% and there's more wriggle room. Less incentive to forward load some key players contracts to reach 95 percent and prevent some sub standard players on bigger wages.

Just looking at North. They are not know to be a wealthy club historically. We know they will be in the bottom 6 for the next 2-4 years.

Let them pay 90 percent of the salary cap until they move up the ladder and make finals. When they make finals again, they can lure some good players.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Has not had a good start to the season. But has been far from our worst and that is saying something.

Really wish players could be fined for poor performance. Needs to be motivated somehow.
If any part of his contract is match payments or performance incentives then dropping him would have a similar effect.

I was quite surprised he’s only 27. There’s time for him to get super fit and have a few good years, but he’s playing like he’s a lot older now. Some tough love might help.

marcus1232

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2009
knoxfield
AFL Club
St Kilda
again...... I partly blame the AFL and AFLPA.

The players want 💰 money.... Fair enough. But the salary cap minimum is 95 percent.

Drop that minimum down to 90% and there's more wriggle room. Less incentive to forward load some key players contracts to reach 95 percent and prevent some sub standard players on bigger wages.

Just looking at North. They are not know to be a wealthy club historically. We know they will be in the bottom 6 for the next 2-4 years.

Let them pay 90 percent of the salary cap until they move up the ladder and make finals. When they make finals again, they can lure some good players.

100% but I would go further and drop the minimum spend down to 85 or 80%

I would also increase First round contracts to 5 years 2nd rounder to 3 years.

Actually give this lower clubs a chance to develop there high draft picks and build around them.

little hawk gmf

Senior List
Apr 20, 2008
Hawkland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Overweight? He's one of the fittest players in the game.

Yeah alright, no worries Einstein.

I make an observation, which was not mainstream, and of course there are knobs who make it their mission to not consider, but act like know it all Wayne Kerrs.

Same with the new rule change thread. Some posters are so full of themselves

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah alright, no worries Einstein.

I make an observation, which was not mainstream, and of course there are knobs who make it their mission to not consider, but act like know it all Wayne Kerrs.

Same with the new rule change thread. Some posters are so full of themselves

The only part of your observation which was wrong was the ‘tad’ soft part. Should be replaced with very!
I actually wouldn’t care however if he played like he did at the Hawks and Freo but he hasn’t got near it for the most part.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda

As opposed to who? Who did we lose because we couldn't pay enough?

If the choice is Hannebery and Hill, or overpaying spuds like Lonie, McKenzie, Billings (already overpaid), Gresham (already overpaid), Webster etc. I'd rather pay two blokes who actually have had experience winning Premierships over paying s**t players overs just to reach the minimum salary cap level.
Remember, Saints had that warchest saved and they had to use it. It was money that had to be spent.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
100% but I would go further and drop the minimum spend down to 85 or 80%

I would also increase First round contracts to 5 years 2nd rounder to 3 years.

Actually give this lower clubs a chance to develop there high draft picks and build around them.
80% would be a hell of a difference. that means of the 13 million, 80 percent of that is only 10.4 million dollars.

If you follow basketball, I love the ways draft picks and the contracts are used. And its similar to what you said.

In the NBA, 1st round picks are given 3 year deals and 2nd rounders 2 year deals.

However.... Im going to use Allen Iverson as an example.

Allen Iverson was the number 1 pick chosen by Philadephia 76ers. He was given a 3 year deal at 3 million a year. I forgot who the number 2 pick was but that player was given a 3 year deal at 2.8 million a year.

Kobe Bryant was pick 13 and Steve Nash was pick 15 and both were given 3 year deals at 2 million a year. The final pick of that draft only got a 2 year deal at $500,000 a year.

I think last seasons pick 1 got a 3 year deal at 6 or 7 million a year.

I think there are other rules as well.... If A 1st round pick is good and wants to stay, they can re negotiatie their contracts after their 2nd season is done. So by the 3rd season, they can sign 3-4 year extension and from their 3rd season at the club, be on more wages on their intital contract.

Point is, I dont mind that.

I would increase 1st rounder contracts on 3 years and possibly 2nd rounders too. Actually, Increase the 1st round and 2nd wages to $300,000 a year for 3 years. 3rd and 4th rounders have 2 year deals on $200,000 a year then 5th rounders onwards should be on 2 year deals at $100,000 a year. Rookie picks should be on $100,000 a year too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back