Traded Brad Hill [traded with future 3rd to St Kilda for Acres, #10, #58, future 2nd and 4th]

Who won this trade?

• Fremantle

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard the original deal was actually pick 6 and pick 59, not the future 2nd rounder with pick 6 like everyone was saying. Really happy with the deal and I'm excited to see Acres play for us.

Someone put up his highlights package, I’m saying goodbye.

Can't tackle. Prepare to get the shits st KFC.

Got seduced by his highlights. Didn't even make the aa top 40 in his "career year".

Because the AA selectors never watched him play live. You have to watch what he does to see his value.

He tears teams apart with his running. And despite the hard running he is elite with the ball.

How does this trade compare to pick 5 and a 3rd round ?

Seems like the Gold Coast and OMeara where GCS ended up with less than the original offer.

English mate, use it.

I said 12 plus Acres minimum (as a starting point). This was before picks changed hands in other trades or before Acres was talked about as a possibility.

That's what happened. St Kilda traded their first pick, which had gone from 12 to 10, then Acres, then pick swaps (the min part).
Got nothing to do with English, I disagree with you that you are near.

While Freo might have "won" the trade I think the Saints should be happy with how the trade period ended up.

Went in with what 6 and 50 something? Ended up with Hill, Ryder, Howard and some late picks. Not bad.

Are they done yet?

They also lost Jack Steven for nothing and Acres are down a second round pick next year with their 4th being upgraded to Freo's 3rd (big whoop).

Because the AA selectors never watched him play live. You have to watch what he does to see his value.

He tears teams apart with his running. And despite the hard running he is elite with the ball.

How does this trade compare to pick 5 and a 3rd round ?

Seems like the Gold Coast and OMeara where GCS ended up with less than the original offer.
Depends on who we pick and what Acres csn achieve

Wow. Hill is good, he's not 4 picks and a player good though.
He is pretty damn good though.

If WC had paid a similar price I'd say we'd overpaid, but I'd be fine with pick 10 and a 2nd rounder. After Whitfield, maybe one of the best wingman in the league and the kind of player that can be the difference when it comes to making finals.

In terms of the trade I think Bell absolutely schooled Gags. He played it beautifully. Bringing up acres late was a master stroke.

However in terms of the overall impact on your list management I think the saints won out here.

The moment brad hill nominated st kilda, the saints had won.

The problem freo have is they've lost two wingers for a side that's trying to win a flag in the short term whilst fyfe and Walters are still there. Mundy is 35 next year. Fyfe is 29 next year. Conca is depth. Brayshaw is a talent up and coming mid but needs time. Cerra is a while off and hasn't settled into the midfield. So really it looks like the midfield is in its twilight era. Acres and aish will not address this with both more settled to either 50. Draft picks do not help this. Any player taken will take 4 years minimum to become an A grade mid. So if the midfield is in a decline it may make the Hogan and lobb etc. Acquisitions now redundant as they may not be around when the next generation midfield comes through.

So the trade is may be good for freos long term future depending on who they draft but it hurts their short term. It's one of those line in the sand moments where you can see the end of the current and the start of the rebuild for the next generation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of the trade I think Bell absolutely schooled Gags. He played it beautifully. Bringing up acres late was a master stroke.

However in terms of the overall impact on your list management I think the saints won out here.

The problem freo have is they've lost two wingers for a side that's trying to win a flag in the short term whilst fyfe and Walters are still there. Mundy is 35 next year. Fyfe is 29 next year. Conca is depth. Brayshaw is a talent up and coming mid but needs time. Cerra is a while off and hasn't settled into the midfield. So really it looks like the midfield is in its twilight era. Acres and aish will not address this with both more settled to either 50. Draft picks do not help this. Any player taken will take 4 years minimum to become an A grade mid. So if the midfield is in a decline it may make the Hogan and lobb etc. Acquisitions now redundant as they may not be around when the next generation midfield comes through.

So the trade is may be good for freos long term future depending on who they draft but it hurts their short term. It's one of those line in the sand moments where you can see the end of the current and the start of the rebuild for the next generation.

Well no ******* s**t. It's what we have been trying to tell you for the past few weeks. No matter what the draft picks were going to be, Freo would still lose!!!

He is pretty damn good though.

If WC had paid a similar price I'd say we'd overpaid, but I'd be fine with pick 10 and a 2nd rounder. After Whitfield, maybe one of the best wingman in the league and the kind of player that can be the difference when it comes to making finals.
Yes he's good. I still don't think he is that good and I don't think the Saints are that good that they should be paying that kind of price at this stage.

Eagles could, Tigers could, perhaps even Geelong could to replace Kelly, because for those teams it might be the difference between a flag or not. Saints aren't at that level yet and not sure that significant price is justified for what difference he might make. They still lack a lot of top end quality.

Was always gonna cost a lot but Bells crap at the start of the trade period allowed us to get Howard and Ryder too.
Starting with pick 6 and 59, I think we’ve done really well this off season.
Enjoy Acres!
Plus every 2020 pick. Only 1 of them left now, but at least it’s the good one.

Well done St Kilda and especially Lethlean and Gallagher. Real gutsy stuff given you had stuff all to begin with to achieve all your deals. Mighty effort.

Like Lethlean said per se, the Hill deal can't be seen in isolation, it was a number of deals together that virtually tell if the Hill component was a win, St Kilda did extremely well.

Again, well done St Kilda :thumbsu:

This is exactly why Freo were never going to give him up for anything close to 'market value' which some Saints supporters had as the mid teens.
Bell 'won' the trade but this only lessens the pain of losing him.

Or a couple of steps before that, the moment Brad's girlfriend said she must go back to Melbourne, Freo had lost. It didn't really matter which Vic club offered him the most coin and he nominated, we had to be resigned to the fact that we were going to lose him. Losing an A grader, no draft picks seemingly ever make up for it in the short term. It's the same for any club when one of their A graders asks out and they don't get an A grader back in return.

But like many similar trades in the past we just have to make the most of the currency we've attained. If we do, it might be a blessing in disguise for us. But we likely won't know for a few years. Hopefully we nail #10, get better consistency out of Acres and the other pieces fill gaps on our list (eg Aish).

I'm fairly confident this will end up a win-win trade.

Good Analysis StCicatriz.

StKilda win the trade as picks are always overvalued (unless there were 2 x inside 10 in this years plus more)

Getting an established player is Gold. The long term analysis depends on who Fremantle get with those picks and how that fits in with the window of finals (hopefully).

An alternative analysis could be Hill was picked up cheap from Hawthorn and turned into a 1st and 2nd round pick and a player with potential in 3 years.

StKilda has had a very good trade period and with a new coach, their members should be excited about next year.

As a Freo supporter I am disappointed the club has lost Neale an Hill in the last two years but I am happy with the deals achieved and the players we have got in.

Play nicely.

both sides built this trade/thread up so much i cant help feeling a bit disappointed in the outcome. yea yea it's the fair conclusion(which we all shouldve expected). but I wanted blood damnit. nvm I can get that over on the blues board.

as for brad saints better hope he has a happy relationship with the missus. wouldnt put it past him to request a trade home if it ends, citing mental health.

also, fair dinkum if acres is even half as good as u lot claim then we won't be remembering brad hills name by mid next year.

Hats off to St Kilda this trade period. To bring in all those players and keep your 2020 first was really good work and deserving of the #1 ranking for the trade period.

Now we get to see if it was worth it and it takes you forward or you guys become the North Melbourne of last year who had such excitement having brought in 4 experienced players in trade period but Freo then ruined the party and smashed them by 82 points in round 1, with them never really recovering fully for the remainder of the season.

Hats off to St Kilda this trade period. To bring in all those players and keep your 2020 first was really good work and deserving of the #1 ranking for the trade period.

Now we get to see if it was worth it and it takes you forward or you guys become the North Melbourne of last year who had such excitement having brought in 4 experienced players in trade period but Freo then ruined the party and smashed them by 82 points in round 1, with them never really recovering fully for the remainder of the season.

So true. One thing to “win” the trade period, but that’s not really the point.
We have a lot of work to do. Hill was a great get, for his skills obviously, but also because it’s good for the club to be able to attract, and land, a big fish.

I think Howard is going to be the real win for us though...a 23yr old KPD who can hopefully play for 8 - 10 yrs.

Good luck with Blake. Lots of us sorry to see him go and I’m expecting that trade to turn around and bite us on the bum.

Wow. Hill is good, he's not 4 picks and a player good though.
Two of those picks were very late and Acres would not have been best 22 for us with a full list to choose from.

Still a good result for Freo, but late picks are miss a lot more than they are hit.

Also worth noting that we had 6 originally which we turned into Howard, Ryder and 10 before sending that to Freo.

Yes he's good. I still don't think he is that good and I don't think the Saints are that good that they should be paying that kind of price at this stage.

Eagles could, Tigers could, perhaps even Geelong could to replace Kelly, because for those teams it might be the difference between a flag or not. Saints aren't at that level yet and not sure that significant price is justified for what difference he might make. They still lack a lot of top end quality.
This is a decent argument.

He might be the tipping point for the Saints to make finals, but that is dependant on a lot of other factors, but yes, my perspective was too WC centric. He is the kind of player that would improve the flag chances of say Richmond, Geelong or WC and that's what has driven my perception of his value.

Back