Traded Brad Hill [traded with future 3rd to St Kilda for Acres, #10, #58, future 2nd and 4th]

Who won this trade?

• Fremantle

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It is widely agreed that Hill is one of the best at his position. I think he is the best winger in the league and dominated at the Hawks when he was surrounded with talent.

No offense Freo but you are not loaded as the Hawks were.

None taken, it's a fact Hawthorn have been better than us. Hill was hit career numbers at Freo. Also won a b&f and came third this year. He's a very good player

Hill turned the game in the first half, was the reason we won mate

Great work reading some stats, fingernail deep analysis bud
I can give you stats if you want but i did watch the game bub. Hill was good setting up the play probably high score involvements but what i remember was Michael Walters 3rd quarter was huge to keep you in it and Fyfe intense pressure then Langdon stepping up in the last quarter to put the game away.
If you want a game where he helped influence the result your round 10 against Brisbane is where i noticed him, his last quarter was massive. His talent is never in doubt he is great at what he does but again its likes of Fyfe and Dangerfield that do it week in week out and therefor worth 2 first rounders if you have to single out games where he did stand up i think your proving my point about his inability to consistently be the player who wins it off their on boot.
Again fantastic player but not worth 6 and next years first.

I think these two quotes are the closest thing to true in here.

We've had 1 trade (which has been worked on for a year) and a pick swap in 4 days - it's boring as ****. The "information" everyone is referring to in here is literally from sources that rely on people like us listening to them. It's almost like they have an incentive to try and make it more dramatic than it really is.

"If you control the water, you control everything"

Mayor Tortoise John

There's overs and there's two first round picks when we have so many other targets. Meanwhile GWS offered us a deal that should help us acquire those targets.

Yep as soon as I walked out of the Hill negotiations I would of circled Dougal Howard, Zak Jones as the two. Then ticked off ryder. Price is too high he is a contracted player all you can do is ask he will be available next year as well.

Perhaps someone will blink or St Kilda think he is worth the gamble. Just from list positions last year and the strength of the comp from about 1-10 and the top end of Richmond, gas, coll, wc seems counterproductive if you have a longer term plan.

But that's why these negotiations are so interesting

Do you really think that, after the media announces Freo declined 6 and 2020 2nd, that they would accept 12 and 2020 2nd/3rd? I cannot think of anything more stupid than if Freo did that. The fans would be completely outraged that we basically moved back 6 spots for no reason. Would never happen.

Nothing wrong with splitting your picks as I understand that you had to move on with other deals. But there is literally a 0% chance that Freo accept an offer that is much worse than a previous offer, that's all I'm saying.

It's unbelievable to me that 6 wasn't enough that felt like overs alone. To me it felt like one of those Pick 12-18 and something like a 20 with something going back to the Saints like a 40.

I'm confused by this one Brad Hill nice player agreed seems like he stays at freo another big year can't hurt him perhaps get some other clubs interested.

The price of his salary and the trade demands has meant no other club would even be interested from victoria. That's probably his biggest issue I know why he wants to move he likes Melbourne lots of friends and a big fat salary.

Unfortunately it is the reality of teams lower down the ladder having to pay overs.

Do you think Lynch would have chosen Richmond if they were not the reigning premiers and had finished ninth? No he would have joined the Pies or Hawthorn.
I disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bell should have taken that deal and ran. so dumb.

Why? They are already losing one outside mid in Ed Langdon and possibly losing another outside mid in Brad Hill. I find it dumb that Saints are willing to pay him $900,000 a year for 5 or 6 years.

Well your known as a Freo basher on all boards.

Is this a big middle finger to Freo?
Nah.

Last few pages have been a pretty average read, obviously opposition teams aren’t going to fully agree

Saints fans: Think that 6 + 2nd or 3rd 2020 is around a fair trade. Also have a bunch of trades that need to be done, which means setting a time-frame is more than fine.

Freo: First rounder + next years first rounder is what is acceptable, obviously wanting overs because of what we’re offering him, being the third best at Freo and still being contracted.

Both sides seem pretty spot on; let’s wait till tomorrow when we have some more facts (which we don’t right now) and see how it plays out. Or don’t

I don't put much stock in anything Tom Morris says but 6 and a future second is a good deal that is now gone.

I reckon a deal will get done because the Saints will battle to chase Hill and King next year. Not sure what they'll pair with 12 though.
Well I knew saints were going to turn pick 6 into 2 picks. after pick 6, their next pick was i the 50s.

I mean Freo had a similar situation last year. They only had picks 5, 77, 95 and 113, which was a 1st, 5th,6th and 7th rounder. Hence I Maintain that view Freo tanked those last 2 games vs Cats and Magpies in 2018 to finish below the dogs.

I knew freo would trade pick 5 and 41 or a future 3rd rounder for picks 10, 28 and 46 or something similar.

turns out I was sort of right. in last years trade period, Freo traded picks 6 and that 2019 3rd rounder to Port. Freo got picks 11, 23, 30 and 47. I would of been happy with 11, 30 and 47. Port wanted Connor Rozee that bad.
6 and a future 2nd sounds fair.

It's not a slap in the face offer.
I don't think that is the issue. We are already losing Ed Langdon, and now looking to lose Brad Hill, thats 2 solid out side mids. You dont want to lose 2 players that play in the same positions.

This time last year, every man and his dog knew Freo needed tall marking forwards. They not only got one, but 2 of them. One of them is Jesse Hogan, the other is a tall forward/ ruckman in Rory Lobb. We traded a fair bit to get both guys.

Last thing any team wants is a glaring weakness in a certain part of the team filled with kids or duds or both.

If you want to call St.Kilda telling us that we can keep one of our best and most important players a middle finger, then sure, it's a huge middle finger...
I couldn't give a stuff if Saints gave us a middle finger. Hell, I couldnt give two shits if Stone Cold Steve Austin Flipped the bird at me If I was sitting on the Hill At Adelaide oval.

Freo's best interest is keeping Hill.
Saints future second pick could be 30-40 once the NGA/FS picks have been taken into consideration, it doesn't have huge value.
Of note, apart from needing points for Henry, there is 3 highly rated East Fremantle kids ( Jackson/Rivers/Sharp ) I would not be surprised if freo wanted to put themselves in a position to draft at least two of them.
Ala Longmuir, Josh Carr, bring some freo passion back into the club
Happy to go in this years draft with picks 6, 24, 78 and 96 and 114.
You were offered a very high price
Yeah It was a high price. Again..... you dont lose all your experienced outside mids in one trade period and be left with An Ageing Stephen Hill and a couple of kids as your main outside mids.

Tim Kelly versus Cam McCarthy trades. Tim got a much bigger payday by going back and putting in a big year.
thats true. I didnt mind the cam mccarthy trade.

Pick 3 for Cam McCarthy, pick 8 (Griffin Logue), Pick 32 (sean darcy) and pick 72 (Luke Ryan) worked fine in the end.

My prediction based on nothing:

FREO
In: 12, 13, 32
Out: Billy, Langdon

STK
In: Billy, Howard, Jones, Ryder
Out: Bruce, 12, 18, 2020 R2 (or Steven Compo), 76

WB
In: Bruce, 18
Out: 13, 32

SYD
In: 2020 R2 (Or Steven Compo)
Out: Jones

PAFC
In: 22, 76
Out: Howard, Ryder

MEL
In: Langdon
Out: 22

I still feel like Freo is getting unders but can see something like this. I’m not sure what order the trades between each club happen.

Greedy Greedy Freo!
you call it greedy, I call it not being bent over on the trade table.

Just look at all those bad freo trades from 1994-2006.
I'm happy for you to keep him. The issue is though, if that was the plan all along Bell should have should made the Saints aware months ago. It's going to do a lot of damage for Freo.
Well Freo are taking a risk for turning down pick 6 and a 2nd rounder apparently. Freo took a risk on trading for harley bennell in 2015, we all know how that went. You guys took a risk trading pick 16 on Andrew Lovett and look how that turned out.
And if St Kilda took a look at the brownlow medal tally and see Tim Kelly on 24 votes and Brad Hill on 4 votes, they they are right to be careful with what they are offering.
Brad Hill got 552 disposals from 22 games this season. thats 25.09 disposals a game. Far from a mediocre player.
When did brad hill turn into Dustin Martin? Peter bell wants pick 6 + 2020 first rounder plus a 3rd Jesus wept dodoro Mark 2
Again, thats not the whole point.

If Freo lose both Langdon and Brad Hill, thats 2 outside mids gone, it leaves a hole to fill. If both go, our outside mids are going to be An ageing and injury prone Stephen hill and a bunch of kids.

you being a richmond supporter, if Riewoldt and Lynch are both out injured, would that mean there is a massive hole to fill in your forward line?

Another example is if Both Martin and Cotchin bot got injured, would that leave a massive hole on richmonds midfield to fill up too?

Spot on. I suspect most St Kilda supporters can not truly appreciate his game due to not watching him live much. I was staggered when he came across and saw live the running he does. Other players might trundle around and rack up more total distance, but for genuine high speed efforts, nobody I have seen even comes close. You can't really see it on TV. Worth every bit of pick 6 and then some, and would be the Saints best player by a country mile.

Would not take two Brad Hills for one max King. Ditto Marshall.

LOL short memory. What about the previous 10 years??
2 years ago, you chased after Dustin Martin and Nathan Fyfe.

you ended up getting Logan Austin in a trade

I'm a pioneer

Fox sports agree.

Article has come out, calling Fremantles bluff, Saints one finger salute after Dockers get greedy on Hill

See, I could share the same view, but your also a Dockers bashing troll as well.

Lmao, couldn't handle the truth buddy? Yet you offered it.......so are you saying Saints don't know what they're doing?
Bell is the one that couldn't handle it. Remove the contract and Hill is a pick 12 player. Nowhere near the top 50 players in the AFL. Only reason why he is talked up is due to his contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 years ago, you chased after Dustin Martin and Nathan Fyfe.

you ended up getting Logan Austin in a trade

See, I could share the same view, but your also a Dockers bashing troll as well.
If I named all the players that Freo chased over the past few year we would be here until the 2020 trade period. I think you have a short memory my friend. You were the laughing stock of the AFL with the amount of times you tried to get any decent forward into your list.

so we offered up: Pick 6 + 2019 2nd rounder + Blake Acres

and they rejected it. fmd.
was this proven fact or a re you dribbling filth again?

literally no one is going to worry about that. no ones going to expect clubs to be so damn outlandish in their demands.

what it will have an affect on is anyone doing a long term deal with Freo
Ah yes the mass exodus. You were right About Lachie weller leaving, Sadly you were wrong that he was going to join the saints to play alongside his brother Mav Weller. Hows Mav Weller doing at the saints?

you also predicted Adam Cerra to leave. Harley balic to leave.

you mean like on the Brown deal... then we ended up still being able to get Carlisle.

lolz.

literally the entire industry is laughing at Peter Bell right now.
lol really. Why would anyone be Laughing at Peter Bell?

Laughing at the fact Bell refuses to be bent over on the trade table just like freo were from 1994-2006?

I find it funny the Saints were offering Brad Hill $900,000 a year for 6 years to join the saints.

If I named all the players that Freo chased over the past few year we would be here until the 2020 trade period. I think you have a short memory my friend. You were the laughing stock of the AFL with the amount of times you tried to get any decent forward into your list.
Im not denying we were the laughing stock of the AFL. Yet despite being garbage for most of our existence, we are a profitable and solid team off the field.

From 2012-2015, we were linked to every tall forward from travis cloke, to Buddy Franklin, to jack watts, to Johnny Butcher and everyone in between.

We also were not given 10,000 1st round picks like GWS and Suns were given when they entered the comp.

and Despite butchering most of our 1st rounders from 2007-2016, we managed to be in a better position than your mob in our respective rebuilds. you guys still blame ross lyon for your teams current situation yet you dont blame your teams recruiters/ scouts for butchering your 1st rounders in the last 10 years.

Back