Brad Hodge - Again

Remove this Banner Ad

no evidence to suggest that there is favourtism. just a perception. but everyone knows politics always plays a part, whatever sporting team etc is involved. we all know its harder to get the boot from the aussie team than it is to make it in.

hodgeys stamped his papers - not to play for australia again.

I've got no dramas with this... Not many of us would handle the situation the same way, but it is a joke he hasn't been given more opportunities than he's received...

He knows he won't wear the green and gold again, so he's not holding back any longer... We're all talking about how bad the selectors have been after the Ashes, Hodgey is just another one of their bad decisions...

hodgeys stamped his papers - not to play for australia again.

no doubt his said something or done something to someone with a ranking that can influence him not getting picked ever again.

its good to see him go out with a bang voicing his opinion.

lets see if anyone else will have the balls and join him because politics espically in the spin department is the reason why Australia may never improve for the next ten years.

I can understand his frustration and what he is saying.

If Hodge was English he'd have as many test runs as Ponting by now. Easily.

He has been continually overlooked even though he is the 2nd or 3rd best batsman in Australia.

He should have been taken on tour, really silly ESPECIALLY since he was given a contract. Most pointless contract ever.

At least wait until you've played a laughably low 52 tests amassing 3631 runs @ 46.55 batting first drop in a mediocre Australian side while facing the likes of Hadlee, Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose, Marshall, Walsh, Khan, Kapil Dev and Botham with the new rock before you really s**t the bed, Bradley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh, Hodge is a very weird cookie who just happened to make his runs in the wrong era of Australian cricket.

Should not have been dropped after his double ton, but when you are as big a douche as he is you are subject to more locker room politics than normal blokes.

Be very nice to have a bloke of his class and talent coming through the domestic ranks at the moment. For all his personality issues he is one hell of a batsman with a mountain of runs over many years to back it up.

I agree with his comments on WAGs joining tours too.

this has failed to make the foxsports.com.au pages :(

I'm sure they are too busy working on an article describing Brett Lee's magnificent net form of late.

I don't understand why CA gave him another contract.

I mean, they don't want him in the side, so I just don't get it.

Some might say it's time for him to quit whinging, but when you've spent your whole life aiming to achieve something, are clearly good enough and won't be given a fair go, you're going to want to speak your mind.

But he's just saying stuff we all know and it'll do him no favours.....not that it matters.

He has been treated very harshly over the years, no doubt about that. He actually played a test after the innings he made the 200 against Sth Africa. He had to bat at a sticky moment at the MCG and was out caught in close to a short one, i think that was when he had his papers stamped. It was an ugly dismissal for a topline player and showed a little lack of heart by Brad.
Having said that he is pretty accurate in regard to what he said in the interview, I was listening live when he was speaking to Chuck Berry, he didn't whinge or moan, he just vasically said why he thought he wasn't selected. He said that being the only Victorian other than Warney who is in another stratosphere in the fame game is very tough. He gave the example of Simon Katich struggling on the 05 tour but getting heaps of NSW people pumping him up to selectors and in the press.
Victorians and Sth Australians don't have that luxury. The last two batsmen of note that we had as test players were Matthew Elliott and Dean Jones, that is a long time between drinks to have a frontline batsman. When Elliott did his knee he was finished, yet he had a very good test record at the time.
For some reason Victoria have produced quality bowlers Warne, Reiffel, Fleming, Siddle, Mcgain, MacDonald, Harwood and now Nannes and Holland. Our cricketing bosses need to look for the next Brad Hodge and develop him carefully.

Brad Hodge was a good State batsman but had technical flaws at Test level which it was too late to rectify. When he was younger he was not good enough for promotion. Made his run too late.

And one can't help relish in his failure, what a self-promoting tool he is.

Yeh, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit mate.

Tell me why he wouldn't?
His technique is not as sound as Ponting for a start. You watch when he plays a drive, his footwork is such that he takes a small step toward the ball. When you play on a pitch that is basically a batting paradise, such as you get in Australia nowadays that technique will work for you. He has a great eye and great bat speed etc but facing higher quality bowlers who can hoop it around he would be in massive trouble. Someone like Dale Steyn would pick holes in his technique.
Ricky Ponting is a superb player and has been for a long period of time, he toughs it out as the number 3, the position that the best batsman should bat at. Nowadays most of the better players bat at 4-5 (Pietersen, Kallis, Lara, Tendulkar, Laxman) which to my way of thinking downgrades them. Number 3 so often has to come in almost as an opener, other times they have to come in after a partnership. they have to adapt more than any other batsman.
I am not sure Hodge has the ability or the temperament to be able to have done this over a sustained period of time.

Ahh Hodgey, way to sum up the Victorian attiude. You forgot to mention that that era of australian cricket happened to be our most sucessful decade ever (up until the last couple of years). Or that there has very rarely been a NSWelshman on the selection panel (although i believe we have the likes of boony, merv, hohns and cox). Or that some of the players ahead of you were pretty damn good players.

At the end of the day NSW cant help that we produce damn good cricketers, and always have. You dont have to be a whinging victorian prick about it though hodgey

His technique is not as sound as Ponting for a start. You watch when he plays a drive, his footwork is such that he takes a small step toward the ball.When you play on a pitch that is basically a batting paradise, such as you get in Australia nowadays that technique will work for you. He has a great eye and great bat speed etc but facing higher quality bowlers who can hoop it around he would be in massive trouble. Someone like Dale Steyn would pick holes in his technique.
Ricky Ponting is a superb player and has been for a long period of time, he toughs it out as the number 3, the position that the best batsman should bat at. Nowadays most of the better players bat at 4-5 (Pietersen, Kallis, Lara, Tendulkar, Laxman) which to my way of thinking downgrades them. Number 3 so often has to come in almost as an opener, other times they have to come in after a partnership. they have to adapt more than any other batsman.
I am not sure Hodge has the ability or the temperament to be able to have done this over a sustained period of time.

Look, I'm not saying that he is better, worse or equal to Ponting in terms of batsmanship. What I am saying is that had he been given the equal of Ponting's opportunities, he'd have made a MOUNTAIN of test runs.

His technique is not as sound as Ponting for a start. You watch when he plays a drive, his footwork is such that he takes a small step toward the ball.

And at the start of Ponting's innings he is vulnerable to quick inswingers and yorkers because he often shuffles across early, or looks to get on the back foot. All batsmen have flaws in technique.

Nobody said Ponting is not a superb player. His batting position is irrelevant to the discussion about him and Hodge, because Hodge normally bats at three anyway.

I am not sure Hodge has the ability or the temperament to be able to have done this over a sustained period of time

Unsubstantiated speculation.

facing higher quality bowlers who can hoop it around he would be in massive trouble. Someone like Dale Steyn would pick holes in his technique.

He made 203 not out at the WACA against an attack of Pollock and Ntini.

Also note that against Steyn in SA Ponting only averaged 35. Surprisingly, all good batsmen struggle against good bowlers! Of course Hodge would find it harder against Steyn, as would every other batsman in the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back