Toast Brad Lloyd - Head of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

J. Brown on OTC last night suggested Brad Lloyd had not done much good in his time as List Manager at Freo.

Will be interesting to see how he goes in his new role at Carlton.
If Brown wants a long career in the media he needs to learn that if you are going to say something controversial or something to generate ratings/click bait, make sure you actually know what you are talking about, otherwise you will be shut down very easily.

Look at the end of the day brad is filling an ad min position. To think he’s gonna come in and unsettle the apple cart . Calm down .

I reckon this is a pretty important appointment.

Would play a very big part in recruiting and managing the people that drive on-field performance and strategy.

Last edited:
I reckon this is a pretty important appointment.

Would play a very big part in recruiting and managing the people that drive on-field performance and trading.

Yeah Ferris. I support him and you are right as it is an important appointment . I meant that we should all support brad as a new addition to the blues.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've heard about Brad via reputation, know what everyone else knows about Simon (who has a psychology background), and have connections with some of the extended family.

Matthew is definitely the odd one out on the academic front, but he was very driven to be an elite footballer from an early age.

I'd say the other two got the extra half a brain each that Matthew missed out on............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope he does great, by the way.

It's just a bit tricky to know "whether we've got a good one". And likewise, what a good football department manager DOES. How can you tell if the footy department boss is doing a great job? The CHF kicks straighter? Hamstrings come back in 2 weeks instead of 3? An assistance coach signs an extension?

I think the whole football world is grappling with working out what makes successful clubs successful. Hawthorn, Geelong and now Richmond all seem to be very well run. Gold Coast, St Kilda, Carlton... we seem to be at the other end. But perhaps a lot of that perception is based on results? The Tiges won the flag and have nine and a half million members*, does that make every individual in that club the best at what they individually do? Categorically NOT. So how do you pick it apart?

What has Brad Lloyd specifically done at Freo that makes us think he's *this guy* for Carlton? I don't know. But clearly we DO think he's *this guy* so let's back him in and hopefully it goes great.

* estimate for 2019 based on yet again redefining what counts as a "member."

Interesting thread and many differing views.

FWIW - Having given this some thought it seems to me that the "super successful" Football Managers have the following characteristics.

Smart (I mean "wise owl" type smart - not "smart arse" type smart).
Great at building relationships.
A calm/pragmatic manner.
An ability to "fob off/deflect" media "heat" and keep his own people focused on their own roles/objectives.
An inclusive and positive style.
An ability to rise above the day to day s**t storms and keep everyone focussed on the long game.

Is this actually a good appointment?

11 years as Freo's list manager...their list in that time has been OK, but certainly nothing amazing.

Also he is now head of football and obviously he has no experience in that role. What does he know of improving our fitness/medical departments?

Did a good job negotiating McCarthy in the door - although not sure about McCarthy's output yet.

J. Brown - perhaps the most overrated player in the last 18 years.
can't cop that - go back and watch the 3peat - he was beyond good.........he was ******* terrifying - and he could nail them from anywhere

can't cop that - go back and watch the 3peat - he was beyond good.........he was ******* terrifying - and he could nail them from anywhere
He kicked 2.2, 1.0 and 2.0 respectively in those grand finals. Hardly "beyond good" and "nailing them from anywhere". And this is exactly the point I'm making here - the legend outmatches his actual output in those grand finals. He's no where near Voss, Acker, Black, etc when it came to impacting those grand finals.

On a few occasions there lists made of best forwards in the last 30 or so years and quite a few people were rating Brown above Kernahan - which is absolutely ridiculous. People forget how bloody good Sticks was in finals.

didn't realize you were rating his entire career on 3 games - when I suggested you go back and watch the 3peat I should've said his career at that time
Nah mate, not just those three games. But if you're going to say "at that time" (I'm assuming those three years), then the output still doesn't match the hype. You would assume that if he were that dominant he would've kicked 50+ goals at least. He kicked 38, 14 and 27 respectively... that's not really the numbers for a top-tier CHF. He was hot and cold during that time period. It was finally in '07 where he started to actually dominate from CHF and actually string a bit of consistency. Apart from a few years of domination, he was either out injured or really inconsistent.

Tredrea, Riewoldt and Pavlich were a whole lot more consistent than him. But when there's calls of him being Carey-level, better than Sticks, etc those are the reasons why I think he's overrated.

He kicked 2.2, 1.0 and 2.0 respectively in those grand finals. Hardly "beyond good" and "nailing them from anywhere". And this is exactly the point I'm making here - the legend outmatches his actual output in those grand finals. He's no where near Voss, Acker, Black, etc when it came to impacting those grand finals.

On a few occasions there lists made of best forwards in the last 30 or so years and quite a few people were rating Brown above Kernahan - which is absolutely ridiculous. People forget how bloody good Sticks was in finals.

Finding the big kpf GF performance is actually not that easy. Sticks in 93' was one. Think of many after? Boyd as ruck/kpf, any others? Hawkins in 11?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back