Brad Scott - New Essendon Coach

Cyber_punk

Doomer
Feb 16, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What is his pass mark for next year?

10 wins? Finals? Winning a final? What will keep Sheedy and Barham off his back?

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
They could have done worse but I wouldn't be all that excited about that appointment if I was an Essendon supporter, he's a Kmart Chris Scott.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Mitch Cleary and Tom Browne both reported that the club has been in conversation with Brad for weeks today was his final interview.

The club made him go through the process and both he and the club kept it under wraps

Kudos to Brad and Essendon for not leaking anything
Cleary and Browne both work for Ch Essendon, so let's rightfully dismiss their propaganda.

Brad Scott clearly sat back, let the process unfold, and when he saw the list of candidates, Yze, Hird, Lade and Solly, got back in touch with his EFC handler and said add an extra 100k a year, give me more say, and come and see me if you want me.

That was his process. Full stop.

He has played it brilliantly. And Essendon came to the best available decision in the end. And nothing wrong with that.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
This is just too funny.

I heard on the radio this evening they were saying "Scott will lift standards and get the place back in shape". I laughed when I heard it. He got the boot from us because standards had slipped, training dropped, our skills were poor, we weren't fit, he had his favourites that he would always select week after week and didn't give the kids a go, the list goes on.

All I can say is, they are welcome to him. This will end in tears. Good times!

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
In before the cliched, misguided narrative of “he overachieved with an average list”.

Not saying it won’t work out for Essendon, he might well be what they need now, who knows, might even win a final. But he’s a stubborn bastard who repeatedly showed an inability to stop opposition momentum, led questionable development of young players, and had a knack of playing his favourites to the detriment of the team.
More of the same for Essendon then?

Got their coach before North and Brisbane get to look for one, slim pickings for them

Last edited:

Angak

All Australian
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Amazing he would leave a cushy plumb role at the AFL going SFA to jump into a cluster like Essendon
I've heard people say this and they are all missing one key point.

The thrill of coaching is only matched by playing professional sports. Spending large parts of your day behind a desk is safe & boring compared to coaching at the highest level.

Unfortunately, I think he is going to do amazing at Essendon. The life skills he would've picked up doing various operational management roles is going the complement his existing football skills really well.

Cyber_punk

Doomer
Feb 16, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is just too funny.

I heard on the radio this evening they were saying "Scott will lift standards and get the place back in shape". I laughed when I heard it. He got the boot from us because standards had slipped, our skills were poor, we weren't fit, he had his favourites that he would always select week after week and didn't give the kids a go, the list goes on.

This made me think too. We dropped a lot of games we should have won in 2014-15 which cost us top 4 home finals and ended up having to do it the hard way, but I'm not sure if it was simply due to the state of the list or the standards set by him. He kept a lot of list cloggers around. It's possible he's improved though while being out for 3 years and seeing everything through another lense

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
happybrad.jpg

Unfazed

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
This is just too funny.

I heard on the radio this evening they were saying "Scott will lift standards and get the place back in shape". I laughed when I heard it. He got the boot from us because standards had slipped, training dropped, our skills were poor, we weren't fit, he had his favourites that he would always select week after week and didn't give the kids a go, the list goes on.

Ah well. At least we've got a coach for pre-season and beyond.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I've heard people say this and they are all missing one key point.

The thrill of coaching is only matched by playing professional sports. Spending large parts of your day behind a desk is safe & boring compared to coaching at the highest level.

Unfortunately, I think he is going to do amazing at Essendon. The life skills he would've picked up doing various operational management roles is going the complement his existing football skills really well.
Agree the ip from the afl he will bring to the club would be invaluable imo could get a leg up on the comp 😉

Back