Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not anti-Scott. Wasn't fond of him as a player, nor watching him as North's angry little coach. But he's a smart little so and so. He's been coaching a similar style and sized club to ours. Still young. The players seemed to love him. But he's tough when he needs to be. Now experienced, and would still have piles of ambition.

Ratten I really don't think wants to job. Pays it a bit of lip service. Think he's happy as no 2.

Think Scott would be a solid choice if indeed Richo goes. Clarkson would be terrific one thinks but can't see that one. Crazy Vossie? An untied assistant? Not at a club like ours. A lot to be done. A lot!!

But what if he just thinks mediocrity is better than taking the kind of risk that could get the next Clarko. They just want us to stop bleeding on the floor, not win a marathon.
But what if he doesn't. But maybe he does, but what if he is an AFL patsy sent to destroy us so Tassie can get a team?

Or what if maybe Bassatt and the board, ALL lifelong Saints supporters and successful business people actually make the decision for the long term benefit of the club? Is that decision right or wrong? Only time knows, everything else is a guess.

Now if it is not that, as a member, any of us has the right to raise 100 member signatures and challenge the board.

So we took Richo without an interview and he wa a spud, so lets never try to get a coach that way again. We got Tim Watson out of the news desk with out a process, ****** it up so got Malcolm who gave no ****s, ****** that up and just got a staff member to take over the senior coaching, sacked him despite the side going well under him but then after our most exhaustive process ever we got a great coach, then he ran off for money....so we took on a guy from the best team of the time, he was mental so rather than do another exhaustive process we just grabbed the old files out and took on Richo.

Now with no process we will take on Scott who seems to be mates with Lethlean but not much of a coach. It looks like a **** up to me. If it works out fine but if it ****s up we will get flamed. On SEN today they had a vote on who would win a premiership first from North, Suns Carlton and Saints...we were well and truely last. We have become a joke again. They were also laughing at us paying big money for Essendon's one legged junior ruckman.
I agree with your first comments about the process. The board should be sacked if they allow Finnis Lethlean to control the whole process.

But Gringo - please please please don't tell me you actually believe anything that is said on SEN.

IN the HERALD/SUN YESTERDAY TUESDAY, WHO FROM HATHORN I THINK IT WAS WAS SUGGESTING THAT THERE WAS TALK OF THE NEED FOR CLARKSON TO LEAVE HAWTHORN NEXT YEAR. THEY SAID IT WOULD ASSIST HAWTHORNS JOURNEY THEY HAVE HAD HIM TOO LONG. THE IDEA WAS SUGGESTED THAT CLARKO WAS KEEN TO GO. THEY WERE TALKING OF CARLTOM...BUT IF THERE IS ANYWHERE HE IS NEEDED ITS STKILDA IS IT NOT. IF WE INTEND TO FLAIL THE AXE AROUND WE MAY AS WELL GO FOR THE BEST THERE IS. YOU GUYS HAVE PROBABLY ALREADY BEEN TALKING ABOUT THOSE COMMENTS AND I HAVENT READ BACK TO FIND THEM, BUT HELL SCOTTS JUST ANOTHER FAILURE TO GO ALONG WITH RATTEN AND UNFORTUNATE RICHO. LETS AT LEAST GO HARD AND GET HARD FOR CLARKO. SORRY I DIDNT MEAN TO TYPE IN CAPITALS.{ I DIDNT HAVE MY GLASSES)

I like that you typed just one word in lower case.

It makes the post seem like a piece of modern art.

But what if he doesn't. But maybe he does, but what if he is an AFL patsy sent to destroy us so Tassie can get a team?

Or what if maybe Bassatt and the board, ALL lifelong Saints supporters and successful business people actually make the decision for the long term benefit of the club? Is that decision right or wrong? Only time knows, everything else is a guess.

Now if it is not that, as a member, any of us has the right to raise 100 member signatures and challenge the board.
We're not doing this whole big footy hostile take over if the club thing, again...

I'm tired mate. Mentally shot.

Pretty sure plugger, sunny and Mikka are on board.

Even Doc as social media manager.

I'm happy to consult on a casual basis...

So we took Richo without an interview and he wa a spud, so lets never try to get a coach that way again. We got Tim Watson out of the news desk with out a process, ****** it up so got Malcolm who gave no ****s, ****** that up and just got a staff member to take over the senior coaching, sacked him despite the side going well under him but then after our most exhaustive process ever we got a great coach, then he ran off for money....so we took on a guy from the best team of the time, he was mental so rather than do another exhaustive process we just grabbed the old files out and took on Richo.

Now with no process we will take on Scott who seems to be mates with Lethlean but not much of a coach. It looks like a **** up to me. If it works out fine but if it ****s up we will get flamed. On SEN today they had a vote on who would win a premiership first from North, Suns Carlton and Saints...we were well and truely last. We have become a joke again. They were also laughing at us paying big money for Essendon's one legged junior ruckman.
Sometimes it gets tiring having to read through your negativity mate.

Is it just coincidence or did you forget to mention Stan Alves taking us to a Grand Final, Grant Thomas taking us to multiple finals series (and being a kick away from a Grand Final) and Ross Lyon being a toepoke and bad bounce away from being a 2 time premiership coach? Fact of the matter is that all clubs make bad appointments but by the same token they make good appointments sometimes too. We have made two bad appointments in a row. Before that we made two good appointments in a row yet you failed to mention it - I'm not too sure why.

How do you know there is no process involved in hiring the next head coach, even if it is Scott. You have to be silly to think that A) It's only because he is friends with Lethers and B) Lethers has the final say. It is ratified by the board, mate.

And who honestly cares what the callers on SEN say? I just have to laugh if you think North, Gold Coast or Carlton are anywhere near us in the stages of their development and if you don't have an opinion on it you'll believe people in the street. Look at how the media have roasted us this week. What do you think people are going to say when they're asked about it? Far out...

Just pointing it out Roos was not the bloke Sydney originally wanted .
Terry Wallace signed confidentiality agreement to coach there.
Roos won the hearts & minds as caretaker coach and reluctantly the board bowed to the pressure.

Nothing to say we don’t have both Scott & Ratten there next year.
Would be amazed Longmire not Coach of North , Voss Coach of Carlton and if Essendon don’t make finals
Dean Solomon or Blake Caracella ...
Ok, I guess it doesn't really matter, Longmire took over from Roos and won a flag so I guess my point has been made.

Is it just coincidence or did you forget to mention Stan Alves taking us to a Grand Final, Grant Thomas taking us to multiple finals series (and being a kick away from a Grand Final) and Ross Lyon being a toepoke and bad bounce away from being a 2 time premiership coach? Fact of the matter is that all clubs make bad appointments but by the same token they make good appointments sometimes too. We have made two bad appointments in a row. Before that we made two good appointments in a row yet you failed to mention it - I'm not too sure why.

How do you know there is no process involved in hiring the next head coach, even if it is Scott. You have to be silly to think that A) It's only because he is friends with Lethers and B) Lethers has the final say. It is ratified by the board, mate.

And who honestly cares what the callers on SEN say? I just have to laugh if you think North, Gold Coast or Carlton are anywhere near us in the stages of their development and if you don't have an opinion on it you'll believe people in the street. Look at how the media have roasted us this week. What do you think people are going to say when they're asked about it? Far out...

Ok, I guess it doesn't really matter, Longmire took over from Roos and won a flag so I guess my point has been made.

It has mate .

As said few times my preference would be Ratten , but to me either Scott or Ratten are fine.
Will back the club in 100% .
Really hope we beef up alignment because there are holes bigger than Swiss cheese in my
opinion fix that combined with Academy with strong directional coaching and we will improve.

RSEA park is a fantastic platform absolutely rapt with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Satan votes ALP, so nothing to worry about.

Seriously though, attracting players is a sales pitch. Nothing more nothing less.

Present your offer, highlight the benefits, paint the picture about how great their future will look if they join.

That's it in a nutshell. Just one big sales pitch.

So if you have to choose between products, you cannot tell me that the advice of a trusted and respected friend won't influence your decision.

The player agents make the biggest difference to where the players go. Player agents are so affiliated with certain clubs they get easier access.

I am not anti-Scott. Wasn't fond of him as a player, nor watching him as North's angry little coach. But he's a smart little so and so. He's been coaching a similar style and sized club to ours. Still young. The players seemed to love him. But he's tough when he needs to be. Now experienced, and would still have piles of ambition.

Ratten I really don't think wants to job. Pays it a bit of lip service. Think he's happy as no 2.

Think Scott would be a solid choice if indeed Richo goes. Clarkson would be terrific one thinks but can't see that one. Crazy Vossie? An untied assistant? Not at a club like ours. A lot to be done. A lot!!
Ratten wants a senior coaching gig and would 100% want ours.

Voss is going to Carlton if you believe the industry rumour.

Scott is apparently coming to us. I don’t know how I feel or what to expect. 50% win rate. Got his group to a few prelims and a few s**t seasons. Better than Richo. But is he good enough is the question.

Sorry George, but years of following the Saints has me nervous when ever we need to make big decisions. I get PTSD when ever anything to do with them making a choice comes up. Yes Alves was great but it was 22 years ago. Ross I said was a great coach and ended up a good decision but since then it's been a very poor period for us and nearly equal to the 80s in uncompetitiveness and we don't even have the excuse of being nearly broke.

I'm getting really frustrated with having to wait and the coaching change is one we have to absolutely nail along with our recruiting. We are realistically a few years off finals again and really only around the list profiles of the Dogs, Carlton and GC. It's hard to deal with when you give a s**t about it. I need to not give a *.

Sorry George, but years of following the Saints has me nervous when ever we need to make big decisions. I get PTSD when ever anything to do with them making a choice comes up. Yes Alves was great but it was 22 years ago. Ross I said was a great coach and ended up a good decision but since then it's been a very poor period for us and nearly equal to the 80s in uncompetitiveness and we don't even have the excuse of being nearly broke.

I'm getting really frustrated with having to wait and the coaching change is one we have to absolutely nail along with our recruiting. We are realistically a few years off finals again and really only around the list profiles of the Dogs, Carlton and GC. It's hard to deal with when you give a **** about it. I need to not give a ****.
To be fair - our history has been appalling.

And the way we're handling this process has me asking a few questions as well.

The board don't seem to want to get their hands dirty..

And he turned out to be a great coach. Always though he & Alves were very unlucky to be shafted.
I reckon he was hopeless.
Lockett, Loewe, Harvey, Burke, Winmar, Pekin, Grant, Colglan, Greig, Morris, Frawley, McAdam, Rice...
The bloke won one final.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I'm getting really frustrated with having to wait and the coaching change is one we have to absolutely nail along with our recruiting. We are realistically a few years off finals again and really only around the list profiles of the Dogs, Carlton and GC. It's hard to deal with when you give a **** about it. I need to not give a ****.
But you mentioned Watson and Blight which was 20 years ago as well.

I just don't understand your argument if you're going to rattle off all the bad decisions we've made but not mention the good ones.

And he turned out to be a great coach. Always thought he & Alves were very unlucky to be shafted.
They were very unlucky, loved Sheldon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back