• Don Pyke

Votes: 55 65.5%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 16 19.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Guys, I didn't know where to put this.

Recently wrote a piece on the crows. Understandably, some of you might completely disagree (or agree)

Feedback would be welcome.

Good luck against the Dees.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/05/29/the-pressure-is-now-on-don-pyke/
Why do some Richmond fans still feel the need to criticise Walker for his post GF speech? Based on the comments some people make they seem genuinely offended. Truth be known, Pendlebury's post GF speech was very similar, yet attracted no media scrutiny. Nor have I ever seen any comments from WC fans upset about it.

As for Pyke, perhaps look to other coaches whose clubs backed them in when they under extreme external pressure. Your coach would be in that list.

Personally, I'd have thought coaches like Lyon and Hinkley would be under more pressure now than Pyke. Cameron at GWS gets no attention, yet what "success" has he had?

Beveridge has done nothing for 3 years, yet the media are starting to gush about him possibly moving clubs. Go figure that.

Yeah nah. Pyke's not our problem and most members see that. Our list is mentally cooked. Pyke is actually one of our best assets at the club. Without him we'd probably be bottom 6.

The issues last year were mainly burn out and a new and profoundly unqualified GM of football leading to the work experience kid taking over fitness and a plague of resulting hamstrings.

This year we're mainly struggling with some lazy senior players not doing what is asked but on the whole we're much better.

And what is this **** re Gibbs: "Defensive issues have been sighted as a reason for dropping him, but on the surface it doesn’t make sense. After 27 and 26 disposal games, dropping him does seem very harsh."?

You clearly didn't watch the lions game before he was dropped. There was one stoppage on the outer wing he just sat off while Neale strode away with the clearance through the gap where Gibbs was supposed to be and then went into the corridor eventually resulting in a goal while Gibbs just jogged obliquely into D50 and watched. Literally everyone except CEY was working at a different level of speed and urgency. And that's just one of many examples. Deserved to be dropped.

Fair critique.

Why is the list mentally cooked though? I think a coach is important in making sure that the list stays motivated (Hence why coaches like Malthouse and Roos were so good).

If Gibbs really isn't putting in any effort, it was a disastrous trade for the club, only helped by the fact that Carlton have basically given you pick number one. Do you not think there's issues with the culture? Because from the outside looking in, it does seem that way.

Why do some Richmond fans still feel the need to criticise Walker for his post GF speech? Based on the comments some people make they seem genuinely offended. Truth be known, Pendlebury's post GF speech was very similar, yet attracted no media scrutiny. Nor have I ever seen any comments from WC fans upset about it.

As for Pyke, perhaps look to other coaches whose clubs backed them in when they under extreme external pressure. Your coach would be in that list.

Personally, I'd have thought coaches like Lyon and Hinkley would be under more pressure now than Pyke. Cameron at GWS gets no attention, yet what "success" has he had?

Beveridge has done nothing for 3 years, yet the media are starting to gush about him possibly moving clubs. Go figure that.

I never said anything about Walker's grand final speech? Didn't really bother me - I wouldn't want to talk much in that situation either.

I understand the fact that Hardwick, and to a lesser extent Buckley could have been gone. The difference is with them two, is that they both instilled good cultures into their club. Buckley came in and got rid of 'the rat pack', while Hardwick basically along with Gale and the president, built us from the ground up.

People might be too negative, but I do think that all three coaches that you mentioned need to have good second halves to the season, in order to keep their job. Barring Cameron though I don't think Hinkley or Lyon had the same level as expectation going into the season as Adelaide, which is the big difference I guess.

Fair critique.

Why is the list mentally cooked though? I think a coach is important in making sure that the list stays motivated (Hence why coaches like Malthouse and Roos were so good).

If Gibbs really isn't putting in any effort, it was a disastrous trade for the club, only helped by the fact that Carlton have basically given you pick number one. Do you not think there's issues with the culture? Because from the outside looking in, it does seem that way.
Issues with culture. What exactly do you mean by issues with culture. "Issues with culture" being sprouted in media and getting main stream use is now really just sounding more and more like a corporate buzz phrase.

Issues with culture. What exactly do you mean by issues with culture. "Issues with culture" being sprouted in media and getting main stream use is now really just sounding more and more like a corporate buzz phrase.

I agree with the fact that media do go over the top with it, but it doesn't mean that it isn't real and important.

The Collective Mind camp put fractures into the group, undoubtedly.

Basically though, ever since the Grand Final loss it seems as though there has been a divide in the group. The way Walker handled the Lever issue left a lot to be desired for.

The fact I'm trying to make is that your list is as talented as Richmond's, Geelong's, and the Eagles. But you don't look like you are anywhere near them. Their has to be a reason for it.

I never said anything about Walker's grand final speech? Didn't really bother me - I wouldn't want to talk much in that situation either.

I understand the fact that Hardwick, and to a lesser extent Buckley could have been gone. The difference is with them two, is that they both instilled good cultures into their club. Buckley came in and got rid of 'the rat pack', while Hardwick basically along with Gale and the president, built us from the ground up.

People might be too negative, but I do think that all three coaches that you mentioned need to have good second halves to the season, in order to keep their job. Barring Cameron though I don't think Hinkley or Lyon had the same level as expectation going into the season as Adelaide, which is the big difference I guess.
It'd be interesting to know what the clubs genuine expectations were. They always promote that they will be trying their hardest to make finals and then press to go all the way.

Pyke has been open about the club misreading what the changes made to the rules would bring. There has been a clear change in structure and to the way the team is playing now in comparison to the first rounds, which included the loses to Hawthorn and Geelong. Jenkins performances prior to being dropped at best could be described as ordinary. He last game in the SANFL in which he kicked 6 goals was an improvement, though not a particularly dominating performance when his opposition is taken into consideration. There has been continued dialogue this season around Gibbs and his defensive efforts.

Both Richmond and Collingwood employed external reviews from the same big accounting firm. In both cases this resulted in a clean out in the football departments and the assistant coaching roles. While Adelaide have conducted reviews, they have yet to go externally. I doubt there would be anyone who posts here that would be upset were that to happen.

I agree with the fact that media do go over the top with it, but it doesn't mean that it isn't real and important.

The Collective Mind camp put fractures into the group, undoubtedly.

Basically though, ever since the Grand Final loss it seems as though there has been a divide in the group. The way Walker handled the Lever issue left a lot to be desired for.

The fact I'm trying to make is that your list is as talented as Richmond's, Geelong's, and the Eagles. But you don't look like you are anywhere near them. Their has to be a reason for it.
The Lever issue was blown completely out of proportion. Like pretty much all the mud that was thrown at the club immediately after the GF.

Collective Minds was a disaster. But injuries were probably an equally or possibly larger contributing factor last year.

The divide you mention in the playing group I am just not seeing. In fact that is one topic that has never really come up as an issue on this board.

Lyon promised to take Fremantle to the promise land by 2020.

Hinkley (Power) recruited players like Watts, Motlop etc at the end of 2017 with a view to pushing a premiership. They then offloaded Winged and Polec last, yet still had extremely high expectations coming into 2019

Hey Guys, I didn't know where to put this.

Recently wrote a piece on the crows. Understandably, some of you might completely disagree (or agree)

Feedback would be welcome.

Good luck against the Dees.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/05/29/the-pressure-is-now-on-don-pyke/

Quite conveniently overlooking the fact Adelaide are third for points against, with a clear as day shift to a defensive mindset.

"if you disregard the 119 points they scored against a weak Gold Coast side, they’d be a lot lower."

Welp, time to disregard all of the games played against Gold Coast.
Freo would be happy.

Our list is nowhere near as talented as those. We have only drafted a single top 10 pick and he was drafted last year. We have a moneyball list. 2017 was a huge over achievement for our list. It was based on hard work. No easy ride gifted by league HQ like some cubs get.

Then when we develop a gun the poachers appear in the bushes with their money bags. So after lying to the playing group all year it's no wonder Walker wasn't best pleased with Lever. Rightly so. You can say a lot about Walker but he bleeds for this club and you won't find a better club man. He takes things personally.

If I was a career coach, Adelaide would not be my first (or second, third) choice for that matter, people forget how compromised the drafting for Adelaide has been in the not too distant past, not to mention other penalties incurred (rightly or wrongly) that have impacted development of at least 75% of our list. I know we all expect so much, but given the good luck many other clubs seem to have I would rather coach them first thanks.

Fair critique.

Had their coach murdered, built themselves up to winning a GF in his honour and then shat the bed. I'd be feeling pretty shitty after that to begin with, then Brett Burton sent them on a camp where they were blamed all over again for it and then have to watch Burton sit there with a smug s**t eating grin on his face saying it's not his fault. Oh, but Burton is best mates with Roo, so his job is safe as houses, even if he has been a colossal *up since he came back to the club.

That is s**t no other team has had to go through, then you get situations where Tex can't even fart without the media going hammer and tongs on him.

How well do we really know Pyke? Most of the coaches get air time whether it be on 7mate programmes, Foxtel programmes (AFL360 in particular). Pyke doesn't seem to get the same level of exposure. Is this because there is some sort of bumfight between the Crows and the media or Pyke and the media. It would be good to see the man in a more relaxed environment. If there is a bumfight going on then is the media tarnishing Pkye. This week everyone has had a go at him for the Gibbs things but no one appears to have invited him to clarify his actions. Or do the media simply not want to understand and are happier to just criticise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How well do we really know Pyke? Most of the coaches get air time whether it be on 7mate programmes, Foxtel programmes (AFL360 in particular). Pyke doesn't seem to get the same level of exposure. Is this because there is some sort of bumfight between the Crows and the media or Pyke and the media. It would be good to see the man in a more relaxed environment. If there is a bumfight going on then is the media tarnishing Pkye. This week everyone has had a go at him for the Gibbs things but no one appears to have invited him to clarify his actions. Or do the media simply not want to understand and are happier to just criticise.
He's fairly guarded in what he says in the media, I imagine they have no interest in pushing someone like that. Plus he's not from a Victorian team, so no one cares about him. Adam Simpson won a premiership and doesn't get much attention either.

Scott, about 50% success rate, Hinkley 55%, Pyke 63%.

He's contracted until end 2021. If we don't make the 8 this year and start badly next year, he's probably gone, as costly as that might be.
However, we're 7th currently, 3rd-meanest defence, 7th-best%. I like the ways Pyke has tweaked our defence to deal with the 6-6-6 and our mids running back. Contested ball is always crucial, but centre clearances are a problem. When we won them vs WCE we got 33 points up. When they won them after that, we got done.
If Pyke can turn that around, get the mids mix right ... hmmm ... by hell, that's a BIG "if", lol@me!! :D

Those losses to Essendon/NM (horrible)/Brisbane have really hurt our season, but was that Coaching or player non-execution?

Sometimes these clearances are little more than luck. The ball just lands In either ours or opposition hands and being that everyone is trying to get the ball not stop their opponent, well quite often it’s a clear run out of centre. This can happen 3/4 times in a row and a team is 3/4 goals up all off a sudden. It’s a long way then to flip it on its head you basically have to hold the oppo scoreless while needing to get 6-8 goals yourself. That is pretty bloody hard to do.

Back