Brad Scott walks or pushed?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have any knowledge but I suspect it has been done this way to save money. I don't think they have to pay his contract out now.

Yes and as we have seen at other clubs, a coach is just one cog in the wheel.

Sacking or appointing a coach in isolation won’t fix a problem.

I think Bolts seems a really good people manager, but we probably need to delegate things better with our assistants to have things running smoother and be more proactive on match day and having an experienced head like Scott to assist could only be a good thing.
Nobody talks about WC, because they have a young coaching group, but there's a few old heads which were either kept or brought in to assist (John Wardrop) Simpson.

But there has been incredible administrative stability at WC for 30 odd years, so it doesn't make sense for every club to go young and build a coaching group with their players. Sometimes when you have been losing for a while, you need those mentors and experienced footy figures to reshape the culture of a club.

Only makes sense if the Roos have their next replacement lined up and ready to go, to sack him to bring in a caretaker would be ludicrous IMO.

I can't see him being offered another senior gig unless it's an AFL appointed gig for one of the expansion sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

his greatest accomplishment is squeezing 800k a year out of the roos. only time he has really performed.

bland, nothing coach. had 10 years and done bugger all really. would someone else have done better? maybe. but they didn't have 10 years to oversee the list, coaching and development of players. fair to say for 800k, north got little return on their investment.

Only makes sense if the Roos have their next replacement lined up and ready to go, to sack him to bring in a caretaker would be ludicrous IMO.

I can't see him being offered another senior gig unless it's an AFL appointed gig for one of the expansion sides.
Makes sense for Brad: He bails without the stench of a full bad season, gets a pay out to cover a nice holiday whilst rebuilding his value in the coaching market that should see him in a decent gig (maybe not senior coach but at least a high level assistant) next year.

Makes sense for North: They save a good chunk of money, have a lot of experienced assistant coaches - Gav Brown, Darren Crocker, Leigh Tudor, get a drama over and done with and get a head start in the new coach market. Caretakers are bad when you're letting the players off without blame and without good coaching, but in this case Scott has been there long enough that a bit of a change up should be good for the players.

I'm sure he's a nice guy. I have no idea what anyone would have done with the list north has had over the last 10 years. If he has had a say in recruiting, then he definitely looks to me like someone who has just shown up to work for his paycheck. If he is someone who has to work with what he is given, then it's hard to be harsh on the man. North are a rabble. Who knows what could have been with a great development coach.

Who cares?

200+ games, achieved nothing and going nowhere.
Well.... you got some nerve. 200 games and achieved nothing?

Got this North side to a couple of prelims. But no in the usual way of how most teams do it of getting top 4, lose the QF, win the Home semi then lose the away prelim.

North made the prelims in 2014 and 2015 by winning the elim final then an away semi final. So 2 finals wins each in 2014 and 2015.

Your club is in its 9th season. How many finals has your club won?

Interesting opinion you wrote

Your club is in its 9th season. How many finals has your club won?
Just because my profile might suggest I support Gold Coast, remember that BigFooty forces you to choose a club. If I could have not chosen a club I would have. I do not give a stuff about Gold Coast, they just seemed like the least offensive club to pick when I closed down my previous account (former handle: red+black, joined 2001).

Anyway, back on topic, not many coaches get to 200 games with such a poor record. If North lose to the Bulldogs, Brad Scott will be the only coach in history to coach 200 or more games, have a win rate below 50% and have never taken his team to a grand final. I give him a bare pass mark, pretty much in line with his win record. North have actually over-achieved in the last 10 years and Brad Scott and the club should be commended for being competitive most years. But therein masks the truth, they have never been a genuine threat under Brad Scott. They have never finished top 4, although yes, they did make prelims from 6th and 8th, albeit losing both by an average of 8 goals.

COACHES: 200+ GAMES, <50% WIN RATE AT ONE CLUB

32.95% - Bill Stephen (Fitzroy) - 68-1-145 = 214
39.91% - Ted Whitten (Footscray) - 91-0-137 = 228
44.98% - Wally Carter (North Melbourne) - 98-1-120 = 219
48.65% - Neale Daniher (Melbourne) - 108-1-114 = 223
--------------------------------------------------------------------
50.00% - Brad Scott (North Melbourne) - 105-0-105 = 210

Bill Stephen had 3 separate stints at Fitzroy and a 50% finals record.
Ted Whitten had 2 separate stints at Footscray, a 67% finals record and 1 grand final.
Wally Carter has 3 separate stints at North Melbourne, a 29% finals record and 1 grand final.
Neale Daniher had 1 stint at Melbourne, a 50% finals record and 1 grand final.
Brad Scott has had 1 stint at North Melbourne, a 50% finals record and no grand finals

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back