Brad Scott's overarching legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Never has a bigger flog graced our club.

Had some good moments as coach of course, but over a decade long tenure you’d expect that.

Said the shinboner spirit was dead. And if it wasn’t, he killed it then.

Plenty of easy fixes.

Only time I respected him was that 5mins he stuck up for Lindsay, before grovelling back to AFL house and dropping Lindsay to the 2s.

Brad was broadly good at structure and at having a singular plan/method of playing.

Brad was terrible at making game day changes that were not pre meditated and bringing in players performing in the VFL when they were hot.

So he has clear elements that he can coach.

What will be interesting is how he adapts with a bunch of outside players rather than the team of inside grunt he had with us.

I have little doubt that Brad will make them better.

I also have little doubt that his downfall is going to be ego. Big egos on their board, big egos in the coaching ranks, they won’t be able to play happy families forever, and when it explodes it’ll be MAGNIFICENT .

EFA

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If I remember correctly, we won our first 9 or 10 games in 2016, then copped some injuries (most notably Jacobs who might just have been our most important player then).

I suspect if the team stayed healthy we could have gone on an older list run in 2016 as Geelong this year.

I have no issue with what we did there, the real issue was when we chased the Polecs of this world from 2017 when we should have been fixing the list age profile.

The other major issue that impacts us now is that we badly stuffed the 2014 AFL Draft and didn't do enough with our opportunities in the draft when we got McDonald at F/S and Thomas at NGA. Particularly the 2014 and 2015 drafts we should be benefiting from the players then which should be the backbone of our 26-29 yo senior talent now.

Fortunately, we have picked up our socks in more recent drafts (although we also had the benefit of what should be can't miss first round picks).
The major difference between the North team 2016 and Geelong 2022, is the large number of young talent on the Geelong list.
While Geelong has kept a high number of older players, they have also a big number of young players as well.
Geelongs ability to keep feeding new talent into their list is to be admired and hopfully replicated.
2017, 18 and 19 was a major oppotunity lost to refresh the team, instead we found ourselves with a VFL list and a heafty price to pay for Brads mistakes.

The major difference between the North team 2016 and Geelong 2022, is the large number of young talent on the Geelong list.
While Geelong has kept a high number of older players, they have also a big number of young players as well.
Geelongs ability to keep feeding new talent into their list is to be admired and hopfully replicated.
2017, 18 and 19 was a major oppotunity lost to refresh the team, instead we found ourselves with a VFL list and a heafty price to pay for Brads mistakes.
Yeah, I see 2017-2019 as 3 seasons for binning new members, it's horrific when considered in that light.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back