Brad Scott's overarching legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Admin and Governance are separate things overall the Board are responsible for the good governance of the club and appointing the administrators for business operations and football operations. Insofar as the business side of things have gone it’s a thumbs up as far as footy ops it’s a thumbs down, the Board is responsible for both. I think they lacked the guts to sort BS out sooner and I think this is because they allowed themselves to be guided by McDonald and Crocker 2 blokes who were too comfortable and influential for too long IMO

Yeah, all very good points.

For those of us around long enough to remember 2007 we can only be thrilled with the inner workings of the club to rescue us.

Although the early days of needing to not bottom out was carried too far and the process to get the list in better shape should have happened after the 2016.

Guess we’ll never truly know if BS did, or didn’t want, to get a more balanced list at the end of a period where we were challenging for a premiership.

Chasing the Gaffs, DeGoeys, and Polecs of the world was in hindsight the wrong move and also set us back in so much as we weren’t recognizing where we were at.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Chasing the Gaffs, DeGoeys, and Polecs of the world was in hindsight the wrong move and also set us back in so much as we weren’t recognizing where we were at.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ummm nar.

There was one; Hutchy, he knew exactly where we were and I along with others howled him down on here.

I have whinged/vented/raged on here about Scott and Joyce.

Right now they are irrelevant. Regardless of how we got here the only way out is forwards and they are not forwards.

There are plenty of reasons why we didn't get the ultimate success under Brad, and a lot of them aren't his fault.

But for me, his overarching legacy is the sacking of Boomer and the embarrassing press conference that followed. Ending a unique career because he didn't trust himself to pick younger players.

I've tried to move on, but I can't. I'm fully behind the idea of re-hiring him just so we can sack the campaigner again.

So we drafted 38 players between the 2012-2016 drafts including rookies. As of today 13 players are still in the system. Six for us and 7 for other clubs. Of those 7 you could mount a case for two having some sort of impact at their new home.

This isn't news to the majority but it is horrific.
That's not very good.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I think the most disappointing thing of Scott's tenure was the selection of players that would carry us, were still carrying us when he left or when they left.

We didn't develop the next crop properly after our best senior players were given the sack or left our club.

That's the issue we are dealing with now. Our leadership/senior group is at it's lowest point.

I've tried to move on, but I can't. I'm fully behind the idea of re-hiring him just so we can sack the campaigner again.
Will Ferrell Lol GIF

I think the most disappointing thing of Scott's tenure was the selection of players that would carry us, were still carrying us when he left or when they left.

We didn't develop the next crop properly after our best senior players were given the sack or left our club.

That's the issue we are dealing with now. Our leadership/senior group is at it's lowest point.

I’m not too concerned about who he played or picked then but what did or did not happen at Draft/Trade time and how we are where we are now

My ex-wife and I separated in 2010. Since then, I've remarried, fathered two kids and generally moved on with life. She still occasionally calls/texts to rant at me. I feel she'd fit in well on this forum.

Did your ex-wife continually proclaim how much she'd set you up for short, medium and long term success though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we drafted 38 players between the 2012-2016 drafts including rookies. As of today 13 players are still in the system. Six for us and 7 for other clubs. Of those 7 you could mount a case for two having some sort of impact at their new home.

That sounds bad and it probably is but without a comparison with all other teams, there's not a whole lot of context. For instance, I just did a quick check and found that Melbourne has 9 players still on their list that they drafted in this narrow band between 2012-2016. The fact that we have 6 players from this same time frame doesn't necessarily seem wildly out of sync.

I wonder what other clubs drafting is like in the same period. A lot of clubs would be pretty similar i would think. Just a quick question can some one name 3 more successful North coaches than Brad just curious.

I don't think Brad was a bad coach, but some of the plaudits he gets for "getting us to two prelims" are amazing.

That team between 2013-2016 never finished higher than 7th during the season and was good enough to win a flag. It was stacked with talent.

Goldstein, Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington, Wells, Petrie, Harvey, Waite, Higgins, Thomas, Thompson and Tarrent was a core good enough to win a flag. And he couldn't get us above 7th during the season.

Obviously, Pagan and Barassi, and the third one would be Wally Carter who coached the club into a grand final and won a "minor premiership."
Yeah good job Hyphens well done. Just curious has anyone got a better win loss % in finals than B Scott not saying he is in Pagans or Barassi league cause no one is.

Numbers don't mean much unless there is context added or at the very least something to compare to.

During that same timeframe (2012-2016) let's see how Collingwood went:

• 53 players brought in (that includes free agents, trades, drafting (rookie and national).
  • 13 players are still in the system
  • 9 for pies (they did quite well on the trade table as Adams, Crisp, and Howe are still key pillars for their team)
  • 4 for others (of those Treloar is the only one having an impact...maybe Aish...if you're being kind)

I used the same principle for North
  • 40 players brought in
  • 14 players are still in the system
  • 7 for North (McDonald, Turner, Anderson, McKay, Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar)
  • 7 for others

Collingwood strike rate: 24.5%
North strike rate: 35%

A quick look over other teams and it's a similar story. Again, context matters.

Tom Cruise Goose GIF by Top Gun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back