List Mgmt. Brad Sheppard Retires 7.12.2021 - Concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Where would you all rate him in terms of overall medium defenders to have played for the Eagles? I think he'd be in the top 3. Could play above his height as well as keep up with the pacy smalls who had always torn us apart. Ultra reliable. Pretty durable until he started picking up head knocks.

Where would you all rate him in terms of overall medium defenders to have played for the Eagles? I think he'd be in the top 3. Could play above his height as well as keep up with the pacy smalls who had always torn us apart. Ultra reliable. Pretty durable until he started picking up head knocks.

He's clearly behind Mckenna and Hurn, then it starts getting debatable about what defines a small or medium defender.

Gutted. Just gutted.

He strikes me as a savvy bloke and not somebody who will struggle with their post-footballing ventures, so I feel better about him being plunged in the deep end of The Real World earlier than planned, but it's still bloody sad.

Bloke can hold his head high - in some ways, I can't help but think of Brander here and the lessons that could have been learned.

Shep was somebody who was moved about far too much early on while we struggled to work out what his role was. Between our experiments, and his persistence, I think he can be so proud of his career accomplishments. Bloke leaves as a - and I mean this in the best possible way - quiet icon of the club.

One of the best we have had and definitely one of the first picked. Such a shame he didn't get a premiership medallion but he really set us up so many times. Started off slow but ended up locking down our small medium defender role.

Thanks Shep, you are a credit to yourself, the club and the game. Good luck for the future.

Caused much angst on this board during the first few years of his career but really blossomed to be amongst the top few defenders who could play on both talls & smalls in the comp.

Interview

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuinely sad day for the club. If not for concussion, you felt like he had the body to play right to his mid 30's.

A great turnaround from what was a bit of a wobbly start to his career. We do have plenty of options in the small-medium defenders department, but his versatility is going to be so hard to replace. You could line him up on any type of forward and be confident he's going to at least halve the contest with them, but more than likely he'd walk off the field with a one over his direct opponent(s) for the day.

Last edited:
Will be missed greatly.

Let down by some pretty weak efforts by his teammates in the past couple of years and is deserving of a premiership medallion.

Hope the players take a good hard look at themselves and realise that this extremely unique career they are privledged to have can be taken away in a second.

It wasn't a surprise that something was wrong after an average 2021 season. It just didn't make sense after his last several years.

Sheppard is one of the rare guys that made me change my mind about him. Never liked him when he was young and he just grew on me. Ever reliable, and should have been a multiple AA guy. Going to be sorely miss with his versatility.

Really hope he doesn't have any long term issues and glad he's not taking any risks. Some things are bigger than football.

Shep is one of those players that will be lost to time. People will look back at his stats and nothing jumps out at you as eye popping and this he was ok, but not great.

Those that saw him will remember him as capable of doing it all, playing on bigs and smalls, playing loose and intercepting or playing tight, and sacrificing for the team.

Glad he picked up the AA in 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back