List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Hard to judge his drafting fully yet. Only been there, what 3 years? Some haven't made it, but it happens to even the so called gurus. Criticism because we didn't take someone's favourite player they know * all about is invalid.

His live trading to get George looks like it may have some legs.

Trading we seem to focus on getting the end result we want rather than "bending teams over".

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Wasn't a 'live' trade, was in the pick only exchange period before the draft.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

One more plus that I'd have for Brady is that we have very few slow players now and when we replace players they seem to be faster.

For years people have been saying speed of ball movement is more important than leg speed but the reality is you need both with the way the game is played now.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Besides Dodoro who is perfect? no one goes at 100%
Apparently this bloke does....

1700713144377.png

Last edited:
Announced in july that year to get the role
Officially started after the draft

But no doubt would still have had a say unofficially during that draft

Similar to clarko with us last year where he couldn’t officially start til late but would have had a say in things
You can continue to sprout this lie as it suits your narrative, but it’s 100% bullshit!

And as for the CCJ trade blame, starts with David and ends with Noble!!!

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You can continue to sprout this lie as it suits your narrative, but it’s 100% bullshit!

Agree with both those comments.

CCJ was a demand of the previous coach no matter the cost. We had no appropriate football department structure in place to limit the coach's influence, ie no Todd Viney to say no to the coach.

And as for the influence on draft and trade decisions whilst on gardening leave, don't forget the club was leaking like a sieve at that point, which was not rectified until certain people moved on from the football department. There is little doubt that if Brady Rawlings was doing something he wasn't allowed to be doing, then that information would have found its way into a journalist's hands courtesy of a disenchanted employee.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Phillips, Powell, Lazz, Spicer and Ford as well. Lets ignore 2019 for now cos there were big changes in priorities etc once he was settled at the club, after that period.

Spicer and Edwards are gone. As is Judas. Goater and Lazz look the least likely of the rest imo (except Coops and Jacko, juries out on them too) and they both show a bit but Goater needs fitness and Lazz is behind a lot of good players. BGeorge is an unknown quantity but the sort of opportunity you need to take imo (as were Perez and Comben). Bergman, Curtis, KDawson, Ford are all good picks imo.

The CCJ trade looks bad but not as bad as it could look if Brady hadn't done well to make up for the lost f2, which got us BGeorge iirc.

Otherwise he's done pretty well and after four trade/drafts our list is starting to take good shape. There's more talent on the list and structure to it. When he took over it was pretty ad hoc. Now its definitely faster and smarter.
I don't Archer will make it but I don't blame Rawlings for picking him, any recruiter in the same situation would have.
Same with Harvey. Personally I'm not sure on him and his long term prospects as I haven't seen enough of him at this stage. Regardless of that any recruiter would've picked him because of the club links. So whether those two are successful or not in no way would I hold Brady Rawlings accountable, whether it's in the positive or negative.

I think the only difference between Archer and Harvey was that if for no father-son/club links I still think Harvey would've been picked up late in the draft.

The later the pick the more the leniency towards failures as well. Spicer being a later pick and missing is understandable. We did take a risk and picked him up earlier than he was anticipated to go from memory. Doesn't really matter either way but in hindsight surprised we picked him as I couldn't name one trait he excelled at (didn't even look quick) and was genuinely scared of physical contact.

My favourite pick of Brady's so far is Curtis. No question in my mind he'll make it but think it's more likely as a small forward/forward half player than anything else. Frustrating thing about Curtis is that he's clearly skilled and good with the ball but had a shocking year last year with it, tries to be too precise with his field-kicking at times which resulted in a lot of unnecessary clangers. Confident he'll be a long term +150 game AFL player though which is a success for someone picked up in the 30's (from memory).

Goater and Bergman are both maybe's for me and year three will be very important for both of them. Don't think they'll both be on an AFL List in 2025.

Brady is doing perceivably ok but as others have said accurate judgements on his record can only really occur from about 2025 onwards. Picking the best players available with early selections is a strategy I like, despite the criticisims of others.

LOL. Rightio Bradys' Mate. So no blame can be apportioned for this horrendous trade to the then General Manager of Football Talent? Turn it up! :stern look

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't know why people need to go over and over what has happened in the past.

Drafting players is a hit and miss exercise. All teams have successes and failures.

I was right when I predicted this kid would be a champion, although I was wrong when I thought these other 15 players would turn out to be equally good.

(said no armchair recruiting expert ever)

Was involved in the 2019 draft.
I remember speaking to him about how free a pick Matt McGuiness was.
McGuiness was a wasted opportunity. If Clarko had been here a year earlier he'd have made something of him I reckon.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
McGuiness was a wasted opportunity. If Clarko had been here a year earlier he'd have made something of him I reckon.
Player development and S&C has always been the issue.
Our guys get drafted and dont look any different in size after 2-3 years in the system.
Compare that to other clubs where guys get bigger in the December holiday break!

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hopefully that hasn’t scarred him from taking more free hits as cat b rookies

We were the only club last year not to have a cat b rookie
They're hard to get when you're not a successful club.
Its a lot to give up moving internationally for mediocre money to a small club that has limited success.
No idea why we havent tried any local ex cricketers/basketballers though.

Back