Past Brady Rowles - delisted 2020

1011789.png

Brady Rowles

Player Profile

Brady Rowles brought searing pace and a willingness to run and carry when drafted to the Sydney Swans’ rookie list in November 2019. The young wingman stood out for Vic Country in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and starred for the Bendigo Pioneers in the 2019 NAB League tournament. He also broke three seconds in the 20-metre sprint at the 2019 AFL Draft Combine and blitzed the agility test.

Brady Rowles

DOB:10 July 2001
DRAFT:2019
RECRUITED FROM: Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country

Last edited:
In Reserves?

IMO I’d pick the one with the most potential out of the lot and throw him straight into the seniors. Will be a baptism of fire but will do whoever it is the world of good in the long run, instead of keeping them in the NEAFL where I’m convinced a HBF’s development is all but destroyed by that level. Try developing Stoddart or McInerney in a rebounding role when they go from playing with more space than the Sahara to then adapting that to the zone defences of AFL level. No ******* hope no matter how talented they are. The justification for keeping them in the reserves is that they’re raw, or undersized. Never mind that they’re actually getting ******* nowhere with their individual games because they’re not getting a proper development playing in a league that’s often not dissimilar to an U12s game.

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I think it would be hard to transition from the NEAFL to AFL as a half back flanker. Because it is less structured, you can get away with your mistakes and you are probably instructed to play with more risk than at AFL level.

I think it is a dilemma. Because it seems like it takes a while for a young player to look comfortable at AFL level. But there is not much patience on the message boards with younger players if they are not making an immediate impact.

I am not sure what the solution is. We have got a large group of emerging players on the fringes of the senior squad. They need to play some senior football to develop and show whether they are good enough. But you wonder how much opportunity there is and which players will get it. And then if we are close to the top 8, then I don't think it will be treated as a development year.

Last edited:
IMO I’d pick the one with the most potential out of the lot and throw him straight into the seniors.

Throwing youngsters straight to the wolves when they are not ready can have some huge consequences.

Look at what happened with Jack Watts and Melbourne.

Play the kids when they are both physically and mentally ready.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
IMO I’d pick the one with the most potential out of the lot and throw him straight into the seniors. Will be a baptism of fire but will do whoever it is the world of good in the long run, instead of keeping them in the NEAFL where I’m convinced a HBF’s development is all but destroyed by that level. Try developing Stoddart or McInerney in a rebounding role when they go from playing with more space than the Sahara to then adapting that to the zone defences of AFL level. No ******* hope no matter how talented they are. The justification for keeping them in the reserves is that they’re raw, or undersized. Never mind that they’re actually getting ******* nowhere with their individual games because they’re not getting a proper development playing in a league that’s often not dissimilar to an U12s game.
Im hoping its Ling if his body holds up.

Throwing youngsters straight to the wolves when they are not ready can have some huge consequences.

Look at what happened with Jack Watts and Melbourne.

Play the kids when they are both physically and mentally ready.

I tend to agree, with the exception of half back flankers. It’s such an easy role to thrive in at reserves level that I think it genuinely hinders their development when they get to senior level. Just my opinion though.

Back