Bird Man

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Question for you guys !

in the NBA what team you play for helps with brand deals for players and increases their worth in terms of gaining outside income. For example one of the best players in the NBA Anthony Davis made less in brand deals as a player who was not even close to him who played for the lakers had more brand deals and outside income due to the team he played for.

Do we have something similar in the AFL or are getting to that stage?

If so Richmond has played this really well

PUMA Kit deal ( i think it influenced Dusty in staying to some capacity)
Jeep

and 100k members with a massive following at games

Question for you guys !

in the NBA what team you play for helps with brand deals for players and increases their worth in terms of gaining outside income. For example one of the best players in the NBA Anthony Davis made less in brand deals as a player who was not even close to him who played for the lakers had more brand deals and outside income due to the team he played for.

Do we have something similar in the AFL or are getting to that stage?

If so Richmond has played this really well

PUMA Kit deal ( i think it influenced Dusty in staying to some capacity)
Jeep

and 100k members with a massive following at games

I think in the AFL, the brand/club certainly helps, but I think the biggest factor here is being part of a winning/successful team.
The more your team gets spoken of and promoted the bigger your own brand becomes. There are exceptions to this, ie: Ablett at the Gold Coast.
Prestia wasn't exactly a nobody in his time at the Suns, but being part of a premiership team at Richmond, and having a funny nickname, and being spoken of regularly since being at a bigger club has made a massive difference to his profile, and hence sponsors would come running.

Sorry - had to be done.... :eek:

Bird Man

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Exactly that but is also seen how Collingwood was able to draw players to the club even though they are not being successful at that time. So i would say Collinwood draws heavy on its size and brand and say a Geelong draws on its culture and ethos

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Exactly that but is also seen how Collingwood was able to draw players to the club even though they are not being successful at that time. So i would say Collinwood draws heavy on its size and brand and say a Geelong draws on its culture and ethos

I think the cats draw on their unique regional setting in particular players originally from that area

I reckon this has been the case for years. Ex-players from clubs with big membership and rich coterie get lucrative speaking gigs, probably for cash, years after they stop playing.

Flea's still on the books at Punt Rd. I don't think Jake King would be talking at corporate lunches if he played at St Kilda.

Back