Free Agency Brandon Ellis [Signs for Gold Coast, Richmond receive #39 compensation]

Remove this Banner Ad

I didnt think SOS would trade pick2 but here we are

Ellis would compliment Cripps and Walsh pretty well. Carlton cant find a bloke that gets the ball 20 times outside of those two defender NEwman and the limited curnow (30) and Murph(32). Ellis is a ball magnet

That was never the case. The CFC did not trade pick #2 for a #19 and a first.
If it pans out that way, then that's a result of factors not all in the hands of the List Management department.
The move was perfectly sound at the time but may yet to prove a risk that didn't quite work out. Who knows for sure?

Carlton has players that can find the ball that many times - Fisher (although a change of role has diminished his numbers in recent weeks) & Petervski-Seton.
I doubt that with a better coach/game-plan those numbers won't increase along with further output from Dow & Setterfield.

Anyway, it's not just about numbers and as for team structure, the CFC has more pressing needs than for a BEllis.

That was never the case. The CFC did not trade pick #2 for a #19 and a first.
If it pans out that way, then that's a result of factors not all in the hands of the List Management department.
The move was perfectly sound at the time but may yet to prove a risk that didn't quite work out. Who knows for sure?

Well thats one way of looking at it.

Well thats one way of looking at it.

Let's say that not everyone was in love with the previous coaches ways and recent results have highlighted that to some degree.

The CFC had penned in a minimum target of 7 wins for the year, but that looked miles away only 5 weeks ago.

Carlton fans are acting like he wouldn’t get a game for them. He’s probably top five in our BNF at this stage and I’m guessing he has more coach’s votes than all Carlton players apart from Cripps.

Then you’d be wrong.

If I were surprised I’d say...oh my gosha.

Walsh
Ed Curnow
Murphy

And McKay is just one vote behind. Who knows, he may Zoom past Ellis also if he remains fit for the rest of the year.
I get it, you’re a moderator. Congratulations.

So top five, but Carlton fans don’t want to go near him. Interesting.

So top five, but Carlton fans don’t want to go near him. Interesting.

Some Carlton fans.

Other Carlton fans are fine with bringing him in as a FA.

It’s a lazy and frankly ordinary approach to paint all fans with the same brush, just as I’m sure many Richmond fans wouldn’t want to be lumped in with all of your thoughts.

Some Carlton fans.

Other Carlton fans are fine with bringing him in as a FA.

It’s a lazy and frankly ordinary approach to paint all fans with the same brush, just as I’m sure many Richmond fans wouldn’t want to be lumped in with all of your thoughts.
What’s your position on him? I’m surprised there are so many Carlton fans turning their noses up at him. He walks into our side and is our best winger IMO. Unfairly maligned by many Richmond fans.

What’s your position on him? I’m surprised there are so many Carlton fans turning their noses up at him. He walks into our side and is our best winger IMO. Unfairly maligned by many Richmond fans.

Ellis is OK.

He’s not a star but an average player who can play (and has played) some good footy.

Just needs to be put into the right system and position.

Put him down back and he’s bog ordinary but up on a wing he has some quality.

He shouldn’t be a priority for Carlton but he’d get a game and I’d be fine bringing him in. But it won’t be on a big contract and some of the suggestions that have been thrown around have been laughable.

Ellis is OK.

He’s not a star but an average player who can play (and has played) some good footy.

Just needs to be put into the right system and position.

Put him down back and he’s bog ordinary but up on a wing he has some quality.

He shouldn’t be a priority for Carlton but he’d get a game and I’d be fine bringing him in. But it won’t be on a big contract and some of the suggestions that have been thrown around have been laughable.
Can’t argue with much of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm warming to trying to keep him we might not be able to totally pay him what he wants but if put some bonuses % in the contract maybe can convince him. he is a much better winger than a half back flanker.

Richmond would not even know he left

Short , Naish , Turner , Bolton , Butler , Baker , Menadue ould all play his position tomorrow and we wouldnt miss a beat, Its an area we have alot of depth in

not until after he has left....

While him as a player hardly is considered elite, however, he is an excellent addition in rooting out the bottom 6 players as we need to do at north. We don't have a lot of superstars at north, have a sizable contingent in the mid tier players or 'good' players. However, we also have half a dozen or liability players. Players like Mcmillan needs to go, lost us the game with his dropped mark last night, and then there are a few on the list but not functional, need to cut out some deadwood. Dearly love him to be off a half back taking mcmillan's place and rotate into the mid.

500k for 5 years, can't beat job security.

"It meant a lot. I didn’t feel I was backed in, I just thought that every time they’d make a mistake that’s what they’d look at, they wouldn’t look at my good stuff,” Ellis told The Age.

“But we swept that under the carpet, started clean and Dimma’s [Hardwick] been amazing. Obviously I’ve still got flaws in my game but I just try and win my strengths every week and keep working on my weaknesses.

“Dimma backed me in, put me in the midfield where I think I play my best footy. He’s just sort of backed me in to play to my strengths each week, which I’m loving and love doing.”

Asked if a development on his playing future was close, Ellis said, “I hope so.”
“I leave that to my manager [Marty Pask] and [Richmond list manager] Blair Hartley and the club to sort out. Hopefully we’ll get something done soon.”

“I love this club. I love what we’re about.’’

“Our VFL’s flying, so it’s a credit to [VFL coach] Craig McRae who’s a coach of the VFL program. He’s been amazing. For [Josh] Caddy to be kept out of the team because we’ve got [Shai] Bolton playing well, [Sydney] Stack playing well, it just shows how much depth that we’ve got.’’

sounds like he wants to stay

"It meant a lot. I didn’t feel I was backed in, I just thought that every time they’d make a mistake that’s what they’d look at, they wouldn’t look at my good stuff,” Ellis told The Age.

“But we swept that under the carpet, started clean and Dimma’s [Hardwick] been amazing. Obviously I’ve still got flaws in my game but I just try and win my strengths every week and keep working on my weaknesses.

“Dimma backed me in, put me in the midfield where I think I play my best footy. He’s just sort of backed me in to play to my strengths each week, which I’m loving and love doing.”

Asked if a development on his playing future was close, Ellis said, “I hope so.”
“I leave that to my manager [Marty Pask] and [Richmond list manager] Blair Hartley and the club to sort out. Hopefully we’ll get something done soon.”

“I love this club. I love what we’re about.’’

“Our VFL’s flying, so it’s a credit to [VFL coach] Craig McRae who’s a coach of the VFL program. He’s been amazing. For [Josh] Caddy to be kept out of the team because we’ve got [Shai] Bolton playing well, [Sydney] Stack playing well, it just shows how much depth that we’ve got.’’

sounds like he wants to stay

Lol, hardly big loss, plenty of gems in the 4th round, got marley, hartung and co. Still feel gutted when brad cut my man hartung, hence he is no longer the coach, useless dill...

Carlton fans are acting like he wouldn’t get a game for them. He’s probably top five in our BNF at this stage and I’m guessing he has more coach’s votes than all Carlton players apart from Cripps.
Maybe check before guessing.

Ellis is behind Cripps, Ed Curnow, Walsh & Marc Murphy in the coaches votes. He is only 1 in front of McKay and 2 in front of SPS and Kruzer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back