Free Agency Brandon Ellis [Signs for Gold Coast, Richmond receive #39 compensation]

Remove this Banner Ad

Word is Carlton/North

Lets see what the eventual $$$ ends up being, My bet is $650k+ x 4 years

I think thats overs for Ellis IMO.

Solid whipping boy role player, but I can't imagine he would be on more than $450k at Richmond given the squeezes that you've had to make to accomodate some of the higher profile players.

I think he may get offers of around $550k x 4 years at the most.

Word is Carlton/North

Lets see what the eventual $$$ ends up being, My bet is $650k+ x 4 years

Noone is paying him $650K pa.

I reckon he gets a 4 year deal at $2 mill. Maybe front loaded for the first 2 years, eg $700K x 2 then $300 x 2

IIRC he grew up in the commission towers somewhere in the northern suburbs? (possibly Carlton, North Melb, Flemington?)

EDIT: Just read that he was a North Melb supporter growing up and grew up in North Carlton.

For some clubs BEllis would be GOLD. He is an elite runner, good disposals, and great culture builder.

I suspect that he'll stay a tiger for much less $. Loves the club and they love him.

But to lever him to some clubs would see him as one of the few genuine quality FA players this year. In particular a club like Melbourne might be willing to go over the top to ad run and carry to the team. But other teams with plenty of cap space and needing run might also go hard. So to get him I reckon someone will have to offer overs. Firstly just to get him out of Tigerland, and secondly to out bid other teams.

We'll see. But I doubt he'll leave.

650? For Ellis? For 4 years?

I'd be disgusted in my club should they offer anything like that for what may ultimately become a VFL player.
Always takes more to move a player , I would highly doubt any player moves clubs for less than 20%-25% more than what he would get from his own club

Maybe check out Brandon Ellis stats and compare them to Kade Simpson who you would believe is a bargain at $650k a year
They are almost identical

Always takes more to move a player , I would highly doubt any player moves clubs for less than 20%-25% more than what he would get from his own club

Maybe check out Brandon Ellis stats and compare them to Kade Simpson who you would believe is a bargain at $650k a year
They are almost identical

Good luck having someone hand that currency and tenure over. I just don't want it to be us.
We got Newman for next to nothing, who just reeled in a 32 possession game against his old side and is averaging the same possessions as Ellis.

It's not about the possession count but the quality one brings along. I don't see that quality in Ellis, but someone else may. It's possible.

Good luck having someone hand that currency and tenure over. I just don't want it to be us.
We got Newman for next to nothing, who just reeled in a 32 possession game against his old side and is averaging the same possessions as Ellis.

It's not about the possession count but the quality one brings along. I don't see that quality in Ellis, but someone else may. It's possible.
So how much is Newman getting ?

Lets see what eventuates, Personally i dont care what ellis gets or where he goes as t has no effect on my team and we have ample replacements for his position the only benefit is the pick #25-#35 which may be the compo

But from media reports it appears Carlton look to be into him and thats for carlton to decide how much he is worth

So how much is Newman getting ?

Lets see what eventuates, Personally i dont care what ellis gets or where he goes as t has no effect on my team and we have ample replacements for his position the only benefit is the pick #25-#35 which may be the compo

But from media reports it appears Carlton look to be into him and thats for carlton to decide how much he is worth

I don't know for a fact how much Newman is getting, but it wouldn't be anywhere nearing the numbers and tenure you're suggesting Ellis may receive and I'd much sooner hand over a third/fourth rounder for a player than to pay overs just because they're seen to be a 'free hit' as a RFA.

From a Carlton perspective only, Ellis is not a need and certainly not a 650K need, if indeed he can demand that sort of money on the open market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tbf he is a 170 odd game, 25, afl premiership player
Carlton fans are acting like he wouldn’t get a game for them. He’s probably top five in our BNF at this stage and I’m guessing he has more coach’s votes than all Carlton players apart from Cripps.

Lobbe and Palmer say hi.

So we've made mistakes before, therefore we should make them again?
Maybe SOS loves Ellis and happy to hand over that currency. I just doubt it.....doubt it strongly, but who knows?

Lobbe did though come with Port paying some of his contract.
Palmer? No way known we paid him 650K and obviously didn't put him on for 4 years. One year saw him out....so he could throw shoes at horses.

Maybe SOS loves Ellis and happy to hand over that currency. I just doubt it.....doubt it strongly, but who knows?

Palmer? No way known we paid him 650K and obviously didn't put him on for 4 years. One year saw him out....so he could throw shoes at horses.
Yeah Ellis ain’t exactly a “salary dump” as some like to say when bad trades are made. But SOS does have past form, so you can’t put it past him. Brandon will surely make your side better, you likely have extra cash (the Shiel miss money), and still need to pay more to attract players to your club. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if SOS does put in a tempting offer.

Not that it really matters. He’s been keen on going to North since last year. The blues would only be driving the price up what North is willing to pay.

Yeah Ellis ain’t exactly a “salary dump” as some like to say when bad trades are made. But SOS does have past form, so you can’t put it past him. Brandon will surely make your side better, you likely have extra cash (the Shiel miss money), and still need to pay more to attract players to your club. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if SOS does put in a tempting offer.

Not that it really matters. He’s been keen on going to North since last year. The blues would only be driving the price up what North is willing to pay.

Should there be doubts on Docherty, there may be interest in Ellis.
I just see the CFC having more pressing needs than for what Ellis brings.
If anything Carlton requires a speedy exit player in the back-line, but we'll see.

If anything Carlton requires a speedy exit player in the back-line, but we'll see.
there would have to be doubts on docherty after 2nd knee reconstruction but i dont see Ellis as being a Docherty replacement as he is a winger and probably will play that role at his new club.

But lets be honest here $450k a year is not move a 170 game 25 year old premiership player thats having a very good year and will likely finish top 10 in our b&f players dont leave their clubs for similar dollars unless a ' coming home' is a priority

With such little available this year with free agents and 3 clubs needing new coaches i would thing these 3 clubs would be looking at getting in as much 25/26 year old players with Ellis playing credentials that wont cost a top 30 pick.

Ellis will play 80 games in 4 years at Carlton / North / Saints / Suns

Ellis is a running wingman. Different player to Docherty. He would be straight into your starting 18 and improve your side. That said, he’ll pick North.

I didnt think SOS would trade pick2 but here we are

Ellis would compliment Cripps and Walsh pretty well. Carlton cant find a bloke that gets the ball 20 times outside of those two defender NEwman and the limited curnow (30) and Murph(32). Ellis is a ball magnet

there would have to be doubts on docherty after 2nd knee reconstruction but i dont see Ellis as being a Docherty replacement as he is a winger and probably will play that role at his new club.

But lets be honest here $450k a year is not move a 170 game 25 year old premiership player thats having a very good year and will likely finish top 10 in our b&f players dont leave their clubs for similar dollars unless a ' coming home' is a priority

With such little available this year with free agents and 3 clubs needing new coaches i would thing these 3 clubs would be looking at getting in as much 25/26 year old players with Ellis playing credentials that wont cost a top 30 pick.

Ellis will play 80 games in 4 years at Carlton / North / Saints / Suns

$450 is a lot different to $650 though, which is the figure being challenged and if Ellis can reel in 650K over 4 years, then good on him.

When a team is at the bottom of the ladder, I understand that it's easy to suggest that just about any player would make it into the starting 18, but given what I've seen of Ellis and given we have a healthier list than for the losses of Docherty & Williamson for the whole of the year, I'm not sure he'd make for that obvious starter that may opposition supporters may see him to be.

Anyway, I'm not even sure how I wandered into this thread as the way I see it is - If the CFC does hunt for Ellis, then it's missed on the premium players it is clearly after and that may yet become the fact. We'll see.

$450 is a lot different to $650 though, which is the figure being challenged and if Ellis can reel in 650K over 4 years, then good on him.

When a team is at the bottom of the ladder, I understand that it's easy to suggest that just about any player would make it into the starting 18, but given what I've seen of Ellis and given we have a healthier list than for the losses of Docherty & Williamson for the whole of the year, I'm not sure he'd make for that obvious starter that may opposition supporters may see him to be.

Anyway, I'm not even sure how I wandered into this thread as the way I see it is - If the CFC does hunt for Ellis, then it's missed on the premium players it is clearly after and that may yet become the fact. We'll see.

idk mate i reckon SPS, Fisher, Thomas, Cuningham, would be a bit nervous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back