Free Agency Brandon Ellis [Signs for Gold Coast, Richmond receive #39 compensation]

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Via Martin Gleeson at The Age

Carlton are also interested in the skilful Martin while they pursue several other players, with GWS midfielder Stephen Coniglio the priority while they are also keen on Sydney small forward Tom Papley and have discussed a significant contract offer for the Swan. They have also shown interest in Richmond premiership flanker Brandon Ellis.

Lol, when u r interested in all, u get none.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Wouldn't mind if he stayed but there are players in the VFL ready to go and take his spot that have greater upside.

For that reason I'd be hoping he looks after himself, takes the better deal and we can try and turn the compensation into a 10 year player or use it to trade in someone elsewhere.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Coniglio staying at GWS is great for Ellis bank acct. Both him and Martin will go to another club on long term deals with significantly inflated $$$.

If Carlton miss on Martin, I wouldn’t expect them to let Ellis from their grasp.

Hardly breaking, it was on the Hun online last night

They did say a current Vic finalist is interested.
Tiges had good relations with Dogs/Lloyd, and Ellis and Lloyd are mates it might be an option.
I don't see why we would be interested but I do believe we asked Richmond about him last time he was up for contract so instantly thought we were the club the article was talking about.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't see why we would be interested but I do believe we asked Richmond about him last time he was up for contract so instantly thought we were the club the article was talking about.
If he did leave the Tiges I'd like it to be the Dogs. I've enjoyed watching Lloyd the few times ive seen the Doggies this year.

If he did leave the Tiges I'd like it to be the Dogs. I've enjoyed watching Lloyd the few times ive seen the Doggies this year.
Yeah, he seems to be enjoying himself. He played school footy with Easton Wood so there was a little bit of a reunion aspect to it.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Did lol at Ms Richmond Caro saying Ellis is expected to get a multi year deal at around 600k per year at Carlton.

AFL media is so much fun when the first thing you do when ANY of them say ANYTHING is immediately assess their comments for motivation.
So you are laughing at a member of the media stating something they believe, based on another media source stating something they believe?

Has Carlton confirmed any of this?

While Ellis is hardly a big fish, missing on Coniglio, the Bulldogs offering big coin on Martin you probably won’t match, and Papley being on a multi year deal with the Swans and hard to pry away, it’s strange they would back away from Brandon. Unless they know he’s already off somewhere else.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
So you are laughing at a member of the media stating something they believe, based on another media source stating something they believe?

I lol at most members of the media when the motives of their comments are so transparent. It is rife and very very funny.

Caro is just one example. Andy Maher is another.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Heard something 2 months ago that he was Brisbane bound. Laughed it off. But who knows.

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't think Brandon Ellis would be a good fit for us he plays well in a great Richmond outfit but i think he would struggle given where we are at

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I don't think Brandon Ellis would be a good fit for us he plays well in a great Richmond outfit but i think he would struggle given where we are at
Well he played his best football in years where richmond were not a strong team and even was in the AA squad , Ellis has averaged over 22 touhes through out his career. I think the Tigers have better options coming through and the salary demands would be too high for Richmond to match but he is 26 and played 170+ games and is extremely durable with a great training and work ethic. Would be the type of player that would push the younger suns players on and off the field and being a free hit its just cap space.

Just did a quick comparison to Jack Martin for those that may be interested

Back