Past Brandon Jack - delisted 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I adored them. My Uncle had a Valiant Pacer with go-faster stripes and 'Hemi" engine. I thought that was so cool. Imagine how cool I would have thought you were. Nowadays there must be hundreds of cars that could wipe the floor with them but in the seventies they were the boss. My Aunty had a GTHO 'Shaker' but I never thought it was much compared to a Charger.

Back on subject. Did BJ play more then 20 seconds on the weekend ? I was hoping to get a look at him but maybe he's camera shy. I didn't expect much from him but he gave even less. Think it might be curtains for him this year.

He played mostly in defence. When the commentator said Smith had moved on to Hrovat, it was actually BJ. Hrovat kicked a couple on the trot but in both cases it was sloppy turnovers and BJ was giving cover in an outnumbered situation.

I said I don't care if they already have their runs on the board. Fyfe had his runs on the board.

But I'm actually quite serious here. There's a list a mile long of players who's coming of age as a footballer coincided with them getting a sensible haircut. Cooney, Thomas are a couple. The entire Melbourne list.

I think it's just about taking yourself more seriously as a person. Worrying less about your appearance and more about your performance.

I guess there's no need for them to worry about their haircuts, some supporters do enough worrying for the whole list...

I guess there's no need for them to worry about their haircuts, some supporters do enough worrying for the whole list...

You make a good point.

I guess it's just a bugbear of this old fart. But if I was a Demons member a few years ago when they were all running around with heavy beards and not getting the footy I'd have been irate. When I see underperforming players with serious ability and they're running around with fashion statements I just want to scream get your haircut and get serious.

You make a good point.

I guess it's just a bugbear of this old fart. But if I was a Demons member a few years ago when they were all running around with heavy beards and not getting the footy I'd have been irate. When I see underperforming players with serious ability and they're running around with fashion statements I just want to scream get your haircut and get serious.

You think Nathan Jones is so successful because he's bald?

You think Nathan Jones is so successful because he's bald?

No. I think he's successful because he's tough and uncompromising. Much like his little brother.

But I also think there are players who get caught up in the celebrity of it all. Particularly young players. They're in the unfortunate position of having to make the absolute best of their opportunity in their late teens and early 20s. Of course the length of your hair doesn't affect your talent or work ethic. But to me it does give a bit of an indication as to mindset. I know there are exceptions, Dyson Heppell is a big one, but something I've noticed over my years watching is that players with talent to burn seem to realise that talent on a consistent basis the same year they front up with a sensible haircut. And I'm suggesting there's something of a correlation between the two. The haircut is a sign of "growing up" if you like and the consistent performance is the consequence.

Plus I just hate manbuns. I really ******* do. I can't imagine when I was playing that a bloke with a manbun or topknot would ever have intimidated me.

I'll move on to tattoos in my next chapter.

BruceDoull_250x305.jpg

I said I don't care if they already have their runs on the board. Fyfe had his runs on the board.

But I'm actually quite serious here. There's a list a mile long of players who's coming of age as a footballer coincided with them getting a sensible haircut. Cooney, Thomas are a couple. The entire Melbourne list.

I think it's just about taking yourself more seriously as a person. Worrying less about your appearance and more about your performance.

Yep, that works for McVeigh (Jarrad). He was rubbish when he was follicularly endowed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Showed some flashes of brilliance. Hope he's content. Will always be ONE OF OURS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back