Traded Brandon Matera [traded to Fremantle]

Remove this Banner Ad

Done. In a heartbeat.

I'd accept a second-rounder on its own for Masten.

I'd swap Masten directly for Matera and be happy.

Masten is about to become a depth player only at the Eagles. He'd be usefully to a team who needs an accumulator and already has enough players with place and class to do the finishing. That is not the Eagles.

Matera is more the type of player the Eagles lack, quick, can defend to some degree, who can play forward and a bit up the ground and can hit the scoreboard.

I'd swap Masten directly for Matera and be happy.

Masten is about to become a depth player only at the Eagles. He'd be usefully to a team who needs an accumulator and already has enough players with place and class to do the finishing. That is not the Eagles.

Matera is more the type of player the Eagles lack, quick, can defend to some degree, who can play forward and a bit up the ground and can hit the scoreboard.

How quick is Matera?

He never looked to have top end pace to me, although he rarely gets caught with the ball either.

How quick is Matera?

He never looked to have top end pace to me, although he rarely gets caught with the ball either.

His top end pace isn't great due to the fact he isn't that tall doesn't really have long legs. He is quick over shorter distances and very agile. So similar to Walters, Walters is quick but wouldn't be the fastest bloke over 100m due to his size. Agility wise and speed whilst changing direction is elite.

His top end pace isn't great due to the fact he isn't that tall doesn't really have long legs. He is quick over shorter distances and very agile. So similar to Walters, Walters is quick but wouldn't be the fastest bloke over 100m due to his size. Agility wise and speed whilst changing direction is elite.
I do like the idea of having two Walters :)

GHS for Matera heads up.
GCS need solid leadership types and GHS is that. Will get you 20 touches a week and is handy up forward. Just not a fast runner.. but GCS has plenty of speed.

Go Catters

Fremantle in box seat to lure Gold Coast Suns forward Brandon Matera home

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/fr...e/news-story/09d4075667dbdec4aa7eda31e0397e1d

GOLD Coast forward Brandon Matera is preparing to return to Perth next season but he is more likely to join Fremantle than the club where his father Wally and two uncles were stars.

Matera’s contract ends this season and he is set to be one of up to nine players to leave the strife-torn Suns unless he receives a significant offer to stay and is convinced the club has a bright future.

Coach Rodney Eade is under pressure to keep his job while at least four of his six assistants are not likely to be retained.

Fremantle and two Melbourne-based clubs are leading the bid for Matera’s signature while West Coast, where Wally, Peter and Phil Matera played 456 games between them, have not shown any interest in the 25-year-old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should also add that I had it confirmed that Freo are considering him as well as the Eagles.

Whether you would want to re-unite Harley & Brandon though is questionable.
If he comes to Eagles they'll find away to cause enough mischief anyway. May as well have him doing damage on field for Freo if that's the case. :p

What's Alex Pearce worth to Dockers fans?

He's one of my favourite young defenders in the game (despite his injury woes), so any way to get him to the Suns would be the best thing since sliced bread.
From all accounts loved by everyone at the club and is happy, Ross brings his name up fairly regularly considering he hasn't played for quite some time, definitely one of Ross' favourites. Still lives with Fyfe I believe, finally over the leg issues and has just recently started running again. Should be ready to go for preseason.

I'd be fairly confident in saying that he'd be in the untouchable 'required player' pile. Hamling and A Pearce will hopefully form a solid partnership in our backline for many seasons to come.

Last edited:
From all accounts loved by everyone at the club and is happy, Ross brings his name up fairly regularly considering he hasn't played for quite some time, definitely one of Ross' favourites. Still lives with Fyfe I believe, finally over the leg issues and has just recently started running again. Should be ready to go for preseason.

I'd be fairly confident in saying that he'd be in the untouchable 'required player' pile. Hamling and A Peace will hopefully form a solid partnership in our backline for many seasons to come.
Thanks! Bit of a shame. I remember watching the game where he broke his leg, and at the time I thought he was one of the best on ground until that unfortunately happened. He's just as good as Weitering and Lever in my eyes - as far as upcoming kpd's are concerned.

Admittedly, I was hoping he was a bit of an underappreciated treasure that the Suns could get for cheap, lol.

Thanks! Bit of a shame. I remember watching the game where he broke his leg, and at the time I thought he was one of the best on ground until that unfortunately happened. He's just as good as Weitering and Lever in my eyes - as far as upcoming kpd's are concerned.

Admittedly, I was hoping he was a bit of an underappreciated treasure that the Suns could get for cheap, lol.
He's an excellent 1on1 defender, 200cm tall 90kgs and has the agility of a midfielder. Not sure his intercepting and kicking is up there with the likes of Weitering and Lever but I think he's our answer to these agile super-tall forwards of the future (Danniher, Moore, Hipwood, etc).

Having only played 21 games he still has a long way to go.

I'd be fairly confident in saying that he'd be in the untouchable 'required player' pile. Hamling and A Pearce will hopefully form a solid partnership in our backline for many seasons to come.

Definetly untouchable and i reckon a portion of that is because he has absolutely NO VALUE in a trade at the moment.

The talent is undeniable but until he can play some regular footy i wouldn't anticipate teams bending over backwards to get him.

I'm totally fine with this as i think hes a genuine A Grade talent.

He's basically Josh Green (and to my shock and amazement, a couple of months older too), and I suspect his value would be similar at the moment.

If he's set on Freo and Freo are set on him it'd be late pick sort of stuff unless Freo wanted to unload one of their older guys to a side that's desperate for established players

He's basically Josh Green (and to my shock and amazement, a couple of months older too), and I suspect his value would be similar at the moment.

If he's set on Freo and Freo are set on him it'd be late pick sort of stuff unless Freo wanted to unload one of their older guys to a side that's desperate for established players
Much better player than Green. Would be a really good player in a good team

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back