Traded Brandon Matera [traded to Fremantle]

Capt Hindsight

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Handy pick up for any club looking for a crafty small forward.
Considering the Suns seem to be pushing him out the door I doubt GCS get much in a trade. Pick 50ish?

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Really smart around goal
Would kick 50+ goals a year in a good team I suspect

Doesn't tackle
Doesn't defend

So guess that begs the question about whether a good team would be playing a pure offensive small forward
That, and he doesn't seem to be particularly durable. Has he ever played out a full season?

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I can appreciate that but if and when he nominates a destination his value will be a 3rd
Now that rocket and Andrew Travis are gone maybe Harley can come back, he loved the GC, of course he's been injured for 2 years so a straight swap for dwarf Matera sounds about right don't you think, I mean with our great trading relationship and all

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Last year Freo traded Pick 63 for Kersten and Pick 35 (effectively) for Hamling.

Freo currently have picks 5, 40, 58, 59 and 74.

This will be interesting.
I would hope the club gets him for 74. Too many "ifs" about Matera. I think he makes our best 22 but we are not at a stage where we need more injury prone players, more in a phase where we bring in a young player for the future. Quite happy to be "outbid" by WC.

Sheridan and Sutcliffe could be available for trade,

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really smart around goal
Would kick 50+ goals a year in a good team I suspect

Doesn't tackle
Doesn't defend

So guess that begs the question about whether a good team would be playing a pure offensive small forward

We have Ballantyne who wants 2 more years.

He can't tackle and therefore can't defend. Add to that his inability to hit the scoreboard and Matera trumps him right there.

Plus, if lower leg soft tissue injuries are his thing... welcome to Freo!

Bump.

So nothing has changed from 2-months ago apart from instead of only offering a low ball contract on Suns terms to try and push him out the door, looks likely we won't be offering a contract at all!

Suns wanted him gone last trades period.

If you are not going to offer him a deal clubs will just wait until you delist him so they can take him as a DFA. You will at least offer him a 1 year deal so you can try to get something in a trade.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
Agree to disagree on that one. Small forwards don't fetch that much at the trade table.
So a few years ago when in his prime you would have liked to have your side get pick 50 for the Frenchman? It's always a less of a pick when it's your side trying to get a player.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
So a few years ago when in his prime you would have liked to have your side get pick 50 for the Frenchman? It's always a less of a pick when it's your side trying to get a player.

Are you suggesting that LeCras and Matera had comparable values at similar stages of their career?

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
They don't fetch much. How many have been traded for top 20 picks?

LeCras obviously would have fetched a lot more than Matera, as he was much better at football.
Not the point, if In his mid 20's a person here said we will give the Eagles pick 35 to 40 for Mark you would say get stuffed but think it would be ok for you to suggest pick 50 for Matera.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Not the point, if In his mid 20's a person here said we will give the Eagles pick 35 to 40 for Mark you would say get stuffed but think it would be ok for you to suggest pick 50 for Matera.

I think the difference in value between the two (at the same age) is more than 10-15 picks.

If you think otherwise, then let's agree to disagree.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I think the difference in value between the two (at the same age) is more than 10-15 picks.

You are missing your own point, you said

your missing your own point, would you be happy your club accepted pick 30 to 40 for Mark when he was mid 20,s and in his prime? If Matera was at your club I'm sure you wouldn't say get rid of him for pick 50 odd.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
You are missing your own point, you said

your missing your own point, would you be happy your club accepted pick 30 to 40 for Mark when he was mid 20,s and in his prime? If Matera was at your club I'm sure you wouldn't say get rid of him for pick 50 odd.

I think LeCras was worth more than that.

I don't think Matera is worth more than that nor do I think he will be traded for more come October.

We have different opinions. Deal with it and move on.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I think LeCras was worth more than that.

I don't think Matera is worth more than that nor do I think he will be traded for more come October.

We have different opinions. Deal with it and move on.
Just for my curiousity what would you offer up for Brandon if you were in charge of the Eagles hypothetically?

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Just for my curiousity what would you offer up for Brandon if you were in charge of the Eagles hypothetically?

Third rounder. Might equal a pick around 50 after compo etc.

The issue for us last year was his contract demands more than anything. Apparently. I don't think we are interested. I'd be happy to have him if the price was right.

Last year Freo traded Pick 63 for Kersten and Pick 35 (effectively) for Hamling.

Freo currently have picks 5, 40, 58, 59 and 74.

This will be interesting.
And you feel you got value for 63? Kersten has been a mess IMO

GO Catters

DaveLister

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
And you feel you got value for 63? Kersten has been a mess IMO

GO Catters
63 was a free hit, never was going to be our saviour.
Has had a few good games and a few forgettable, his averages are slightly down on last year playing in a weaker forward line.
He was an important piece in getting Hamling who has been very good.
He has improvement left in him but I don't know if he'll be in our best 22 long term.
He no more mess than the rest of our forward line

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
His GC contract was seriously back ended , and he wouldn't take any less cash and I assume GC wouldn't pay part of it.

I don't see him getting any more than 300k in his next contract

Hagdorn reporting that you've offered him $450k a year. That would be a bit crazy. $300k would be a good deal for Freo I reckon.

Eski3

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2007
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo
Hagdorn reporting that you've offered him $450k a year. That would be a bit crazy. $300k would be a good deal for Freo I reckon.

$450k under the new salary cap isn't too crazy. Pre salary cap bump the average AFL wage was $350k, will be in excess of $400k starting next year. It's slightly above average, nothing to melt down over. I'd be pretty happy if we offered him $400k so I'm not going to lose my s**t if we offer him 450

Also it's Hagdorn.....

Back